unknown data usage!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
Hi all
One help needed.Now I am trying bitdefender(before ESET).I noticed that some thing is using my internet connection always.but it doesn't show up in firewall's network activity.I had similar type of problem before due to BITS service.But now even BITS is disabled.I am puzzled that BD's firewall doesn't even tell what application using my internet.I can't afford this because since my internet connection is limited in data usage.I think this not always happens but mostly.At the time of typing this thread this hadn't occur.
U can see from the image attached by me that in bytes received it is showing as 254.3 KB/S but in Out/s and In/s it shows as 0 B/s

P

Plexx

Word of advice: use Comodo FW or Zonealarm to first identify what exactly is using your internet. If with any of those 2 installed nothing is found, then you will need to start digging deeper.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I had this issue with Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013 too, it was enough to warrant me to uninstall the program.

Check if Bitdefender released a program update, else I'm sure BD is the cause.

Biozfear, he is using Bitdefender Internet/Total Security which has a Firewall.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Its real serious issue and to overcome it with bd on system its make more difficult

P

Plexx

Earth said:
I had this issue with Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2013 too, it was enough to warrant me to uninstall the program.

Check if Bitdefender released a program update, else I'm sure BD is the cause.

Biozfear, he is using Bitdefender Internet/Total Security which has a Firewall.

I thought he was on BD AV. My mistake.

OP does not know exactly what is causing the usage, so one of those 2 firewalls of the top of my head allow you to see exactly what each process is doing whilst not being too complicated.

Not sure if you can identify with ease on BD incorporated firewall tho.

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
What do you get when you click the drop down button ???
You can use comodo killSwitch to check,
as i can see in my system some of the addons are connected under SYSTEM, eg lastpass

Edit : Sorry i didn't read the last line of the OP's post

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
Please tell me if i am wrong, but isn't the body of the above image only showing the data sent and received by the currently active process, where as on the top its showing total data ???
Is this the problem ???
I still couldn't get it :(

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
well I thought so first as well,but look carefully it shows the speed of incoming process, as 250 odd kbps but no process corresponding to match an inbound connection! so this is not a log but rather live firewall connections window

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
arsenaloyal said:
well I thought so first as well,but look carefully it shows the speed of incoming process, as 250 odd kbps but no process corresponding to match an inbound connection! so this is not a log but rather live firewall connections window

but that 254 KB/s may be the calculation of total data received from all(ended or active process) ???

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
madyrocksin said:
but that 254 KB/s may be the calculation of total data received from all(ended or active process) ???

the calculation of the data received is 200mb.... 254k bps is actually the speed at which the said data is being transmitted.

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
yes 254 KB/s is the speed at which the data has been received achieved by dividing data and total system time.
200 MB is the total data from all processes ended or active.
sorry if i m making it really dumb :(

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
200mb can be with either,but thats besides the point!.... you can see data transfer at 254 kbps which is realtime but no corresponding inbound connections in the bitdefender firewall. so what exactly is using the 254kbps data ?? what good is a firewall that does not show you all the connections or perhaps is the program itself malicious ?

although i must agree that a single screenshot is confusing if you have not used the software before, you are not dumb LOL, perhaps a video would be a better option, as some firewalls show all the data transfer while some like agnitum show only when the process is running and not of a terminated process.

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
That 254 KB/s i dont think is referring to a particular process, isn't it supposed to be how fast 200mb was received ??
I think if you disconnect the speed will fall over the time.
If its real time than sure there is some problem

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
madyrocksin said:
That 254 KB/s i dont think is referring to a particular process, isn't it supposed to be how fast 200mb was received ??
I think if you disconnect the speed will fall over the time.
If its real time than sure there is some problem

It is a real time screenshot when there was an internet connection but no application was using internet!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Install a networking monitoring app, or similar.
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Desktop-mods-Network-Activity-Monitor

And disable/completely switch off Bitdefender and check if the connection drops or continues.

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
I uninstalled Bitdefender:mad:

EDIT:
This problem exists in BD products for the past 2 months according to their forums and a numerous users have reported the issue and still a solution has not been reached.This would be really disgusting for their customers who bought BD and trust BD...Every time I uninstall BD I plan not to install BD anymore but its lightness and detection rates make me again come to BD...What is the use in having better detection rates when a serious problem like this is taken ages to rectify!
By the way the problem occurs when a video is played according to the BD forums...BD allocates bandwith to the video even when it is closed!

D

Deleted member 178

i love Online Armor for that:

lfM1i.jpg

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.