Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Slow to very slow boot times no matter how fresh the OS, no matter what OS (Windows or Linux). Mostly Windows will start using 100% of main HDD that stores OS which is caused by Superfetch (when turned off, computer performance worsens).
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Heavy diagnostics on every piece of hardware (all comes back 100% ok). Reinstallation of OS around 15 times within 2 weeks. Full format of HDDs - even a zero write followed by more scans for bad sectors, etc. Nothing wrong. Replacement of SATA cables. Reset BIOS settings - nothing. Custom BIOS settings - nothing again. Used every piece of free software imaginable to scan. Ran
My expertise on hardware issues is very low at best. I've only had one hardware problem before. A bad fan on a very old Dell computer in which the fan went bad and the computer would shut off every 5 minutes. I trashed the computer and got a much better one. I'm afraid that isn't an option anymore. Neither is replacing any hardware. My best guess is PSU or motherboard is the problem. However both are clean and show no signs of wear downs. The computer as a whole was did well on stress test that punished all hardware at once.

I guess the fans could also be a problem. I was told that from an old friend that a dirty fan can seriously hinder computer performance. I don't know if that's due to hardware overheating, added strain on the PSU/motherboard to push the fans forward, etc.

Any ideas are welcome. As long as it's something I haven't tried. I'm fresh out of ideas.

And another thing. Computer runs fast as always while fully booted up. As long as Superfetch is off as it takes up 100% disk usage randomly. On boot, System process takes all usage for a short time. During boot itself, the disk light is solid. Again running some Microsoft boot diagnostic tool (Download Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) for Windows 8.1 Update from Official Microsoft Download Center), the system itself is taking too long to load things like Cortana (which it itself isn't the problem, even while that is turn off - even while using Windows 7 or 8 - the problem is still there).

L

LabZero

I'm not a HW "guru" but for what I know and considering what you did, I would think a power supply problem.
The boot require more current to start the HDD and the other HW, immediately after the current stabilizes and the pc works normally.
If the power supply fails to provide all the Ampere that are needed, the HDD, which is the component that absorbs most current, can present problems especially at boot.

Upvote 0

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Install HWiMFO and check if something doesn't work well. If you have anything that is below recommended you must do some research about it. For the 100% HDD check Resource Monitor, it's the best way to see why.

Upvote 0

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I'm not a HW "guru" but for what I know and considering what you did, I would think a power supply problem.
The boot require more current to start the HDD and the other HW, immediately after the current stabilizes and the pc works normally.
If the power supply fails to provide all the Ampere that are needed, the HDD, which is the component that absorbs most current, can present problems especially at boot.

This might explain why unhooking the secondary drive somewhat decreases boot time. That only worked for a short time however. Seems my PSU (if it is that) is dying at a very fast rate. Those buzz/zap sounds that I hear once in a while probably aren't normal. Never heard any other computer in my house do that. I do have a spare computer (another HP) that uses the same exact case (and same motherboard but it's an Intel version with completely different placement of CPU, etc) however that power supply doesn't have the same pins so I can't use it for spare parts unfortunately. This is the only reason why I couldn't rule out PSU as the problem.

Maybe because I always had the fans running at higher speeds to cool down the case (it's a SFF so it needs all the air flow it can get - GPU and HDD otherwise run a bit too hot while under heavy stress of gaming).

HP still have brand new PSU for my model but in order to commit the money, I'd have to be pretty sure that is the problem. Don't want to go wasting $50. As far as I'm concerned, your right about it being PSU.

Did you check for possible benchmarks? Sometimes it will show the lowest ratings prior for a possible think to replace/improve a hardware.

Passmark Benchmark

I've run benchmarks already. Computer was able to maintain it's speed in all of them as it always did. The ratings were always the same as when I first got the computer at the beginning of the year. I heard that if you run a burn in test and your hardware can't manage a 100% usage for prolonged times that there is a problem. I also did that without any problems.

Install HWiMFO and check if something doesn't work well. If you have anything that is below recommended you must do some research about it. For the 100% HDD check Resource Monitor, it's the best way to see why.

I run this tool all the time because a skin for Rainmeter needs it to monitor GPU usage. Every stat is as it was on the day of purchase. Heat, usage, etc during idle and heavy use.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

Upvote 0

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Looks like it was the power cable. It was old and was showing very extreme signs of wear (which was only visible after unplugging it from the wall). Replaced it and now everything is fine. Unfortunately my old power supply died due to lack of power and the hardware took too much I guess and killed it. Will get a new one on the 3rd (tomorrow for me). I know it's the power cable because I used it on another computer and it did the same thing. Used a much newer one and it was fine.

Nice to finally have the problem solved. Don't know why I never tried using another power cable... I have like 4 spares. lol Some are basically brand new.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.