(unknown51398) Config Updated *08/28/12

unknown51398

Thread author
Jun 5, 2012
I would like to thanks Umbra Corp. For introducing this cofig in the first place. Umbra Corp., this is for you.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
RE: My Config :) (unknown51398)

I think you are on trial on emsisoft
So its your temporary setup?
Do you fell any slow in browsing speed with EAM, I have a valid license but i feel its slow down my browsing speed :(

unknown51398

Thread author
Jun 5, 2012

Stranger said:
I think you are on trial on emsisoft
So its your temporary setup?
Do you fell any slow in browsing speed with EAM, I have a valid license but i feel its slow down my browsing speed :(

I'm on trial but I think I'll buy it anytime soon. I didn't feel any slows down yet but give you any updates if it does. :)

ZeroDay said:
You could add Emet

Could you explain to me what it does.

D

Deleted member 178

Emsisoft doesn't slow down the browsing speed since it doesn't have web filters.

To be simple, EMET protect your softwares from malware's manipulations.

unknown51398

Thread author
Jun 5, 2012

umbrapolaris said:
Emsisoft doesn't slow down the browsing speed since it doesn't have web filters.

Thanks for explaining that for me but Emsisoft does have web filter and it's called "Surf Protectiion" but they really need to improve it though :(.

D

Deleted member 178

I'm using EAM too, it is not a web filter (as AVG Linkscanner, Bit Defender Traffic Light or Panda Url Filter) since it doesn't check the url for malwares, it is a hostname kind of protection like Hostman; it uses hosts lists.
I added MVP host list to the built-in one.

It doesn't need to improve since when an URL is blocked (for any reasons) and you know that is a safe link, you just have to click the "allow" rule on the popup.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware 4.0 introduced a new surf protection feature that uses an internal list with hostnames to block. The surf protection averts, that programs can resolve the IP addresses of hosts/domains. Without the IP, no internet connection can be set up. That is why the protection works independent of programs with all browsers and web applications.

The internal host list in invisible and can not directly be edited.

The data is provided by the hpHosts community project: www.hosts-file.net

If you would like to know, why a specific website was rated malicious, please check the hpHost Forum: forum.hosts-file.net

How can I allow a blocked website?

You can overwrite the internal host list with self created host rules, if you don't agree with the classification.

Example:

The domin www.test.com is being blocked by the internal list and you want to access this website address. Open Anti-Malware and switch to the menu item "Guard". In the tab "Host Rules" click the "Add new rule" button. Enter the domain name "www.test.com" at the textbox and select "Don't block" at "Resolving host IP address". Confirm with OK.

Wildcards

You can block or allow all subdomains of a domain using wildcards. E.g. use *.test.com to specify all subdomains like www.test.com, ads.test.com, etc.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Looks like a good setup that you have. The only thing that I could suggest is a backup option.

unknown51398

Thread author
Jun 5, 2012

umbrapolaris said:

Thanks for explanation however emsisoft does have web filter, "Surf Protection" but it still needs work :(

unknown51398

Thread author
Jun 5, 2012

umbrapolaris said:
I'm using EAM too, it is not a web filter (as AVG Linkscanner, Bit Defender Traffic Light or Panda Url Filter) since it doesn't check the url for malwares, it is a hostname kind of protection like Hostman; it uses hosts lists.
I added MVP host list to the built-in one.

It doesn't need to improve since when an URL is blocked (for any reasons) and you know that is a safe link, you just have to click the "allow" rule on the popup.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware 4.0 introduced a new surf protection feature that uses an internal list with hostnames to block. The surf protection averts, that programs can resolve the IP addresses of hosts/domains. Without the IP, no internet connection can be set up. That is why the protection works independent of programs with all browsers and web applications.

The internal host list in invisible and can not directly be edited.

The data is provided by the hpHosts community project: www.hosts-file.net

If you would like to know, why a specific website was rated malicious, please check the hpHost Forum: forum.hosts-file.net

How can I allow a blocked website?

You can overwrite the internal host list with self created host rules, if you don't agree with the classification.

Example:

The domin www.test.com is being blocked by the internal list and you want to access this website address. Open Anti-Malware and switch to the menu item "Guard". In the tab "Host Rules" click the "Add new rule" button. Enter the domain name "www.test.com" at the textbox and select "Don't block" at "Resolving host IP address". Confirm with OK.

Wildcards

You can block or allow all subdomains of a domain using wildcards. E.g. use *.test.com to specify all subdomains like www.test.com, ads.test.com, etc.

thanks for clearing that up for me :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: (unknown51398) Config

Topics Merged.

Please be aware you can Edit your posts, so creating a new topic for every change isn't necessary.

MRDid.png

P

Plexx

If you want to have total protection via the HIPS of ESET, after 14 days of learning mode, change to Policy Based mode.

unknown51398

Thread author
Jun 5, 2012
RE: My Config :)

elliotcroft said:
I'd recommend installing WoT to check the reputation of websites.

I already have ESET to check if sites are malicious or not and using WOT, for me, just wastes system resources

unknown51398

Thread author
Jun 5, 2012

McLovin said:
Looks like a good setup that you have. The only thing that I could suggest is a backup option.

I don't like to use backups.

Biozfear said:
If you want to have total protection via the HIPS of ESET, after 14 days of learning mode, change to Policy Based mode.

I'd rather set it to Interactive mode as I install a lot of non-malicious software on my machine

unknown51398

Thread author
Jun 5, 2012

Earth said:
Topics Merged.

Please be aware you can Edit your posts, so creating a new topic for every change isn't necessary.

MRDid.png
I just knew that awhile ago from your PM. Sorry for the inconvenience.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.