(unknown51398) Config Updated *08/28/12

unknown51398

Thread author
Jun 5, 2012
RE: My Config :)

Malware Maniac said:
Good configuration. I would recommend for On-Demand scanners Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
I included Malwarebytes to my On-Demand Scanners if you look closely.

ZeroDay said:
You could add Emet
It's included in the config if you look very closely.

unknown51398

Thread author
Jun 5, 2012
RE: My Config :) (unknown51398)

unknown51398 said:
umbrapolaris said:
Emsisoft doesn't slow down the browsing speed since it doesn't have web filters.

To be simple, EMET protect your softwares from malware's manipulations.

Thanks for explaining that for me but Emsisoft does have web filter and it's called "Surf Protectiion" but they really need to improve it though :(.
Me writing about Emsisoft was just a typo. I'm very sorry. I guess I got carried away with the writing. :)

Ok, so the part about Emsisoft was just a typo. I guess. I have already removed it. I don't even use Emsisoft

P

Plexx

unknown51398 said:
Biozfear said:
If you want to have total protection via the HIPS of ESET, after 14 days of learning mode, change to Policy Based mode.

I'd rather set it to Interactive mode as I install a lot of non-malicious software on my machine

Prepare for a rain of popups then. Learning mode for 14 days or even 28 days should be enough, that is why it is called learning mode, so it can learn the actions. ESET's Interactive Mode is known to give more alerts than other HIPS solutions. Note that with Policy Based Mode you can still add rules, so Policy Based Mode is still recommended over Interactive Mode.

unknown51398

Thread author
Jun 5, 2012

Biozfear said:
unknown51398 said:
Biozfear said:
If you want to have total protection via the HIPS of ESET, after 14 days of learning mode, change to Policy Based mode.

I'd rather set it to Interactive mode as I install a lot of non-malicious software on my machine

Prepare for a rain of popups then. Learning mode for 14 days or even 28 days should be enough, that is why it is called learning mode, so it can learn the actions. ESET's Interactive Mode is known to give more alerts than other HIPS solutions. Note that with Policy Based Mode you can still add rules, so Policy Based Mode is still recommended over Interactive Mode.

Well said, but I have a question though seeing that my understanding of Policy Based Mode was totally different from yours.(I'm new to this sort of stuff).
So here's my question, I I would install a new software to my machine and eset dosen't find it in i'ts rules, will eset block it or ask I I want to block it.

P

Plexx

unknown51398 said:
Well said, but I have a question though seeing that my understanding of Policy Based Mode was totally different from yours.(I'm new to this sort of stuff).
So here's my question, I I would install a new software to my machine and eset dosen't find it in i'ts rules, will eset block it or ask I I want to block it.

Policy Based Mode: Follow rules, if not Block

Interactive Mode: Follow rules, if not ask, if not allow on failure.

unknown51398

Thread author
Jun 5, 2012

Biozfear said:
unknown51398 said:

Policy Based Mode: Follow rules, if not Block

Interactive Mode: Follow rules, if not ask, if not allow on failure.
Will Policy Based Mode block the new software, that's not in the rules, or will it ask me If I want to block it.

P

Plexx

RE: (unknown51398) Config

It will block.

Only mode that will ask is Interactive Mode.

unknown51398

Thread author
Jun 5, 2012

Biozfear said:
It will block.

Exact reason why I want to set it to interactive after turning on learning mode for 14 days. It will ask, and I'm pretty sure the rain of popups would not appear anymore after setting it to learning mode for 14 days. :)

P

Plexx

unknown51398 said:
Biozfear said:
It will block.

Exact reason why I want to set it to interactive after turning on learning mode for 14 days. It will ask, and I'm pretty sure the rain of popups would not appear anymore after setting it to learning mode for 14 days. :)

You have previously said:
I'd rather set it to Interactive mode as I install a lot of non-malicious software on my machine.
If that is the case, then the learning mode would not cover all, or am I missing something here?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.