Troubleshoot Unregister MSCOMCTL.ocx and clean Registry?

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
hi
i have downlaoded sometime ago dexpot portable and i did as freeware suggest
Code:
h%%ps://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1449
and they suppest to copy these 2 files MSVBVM60.DLL, and MSCOMCTL.OCX from there

well seeing it's a portable version i extract the archive to a folder in my data hard disk ,(i keep photos and some music )

now if i search with a registry finder MSCOMCTL.OCX all the keys point to K:\dexpot

i have performed a search looking for MSCOMCTL.OCX and i have it only in K:\dekpot

i tried to run cmd as aministrator
Regsvr32.exe /u K:\dexpot\MSCOMCTL.OCX

but if i search for MSCOMCTL.OCX i still find

i run w7 64bit, with few programs installed
and there is only 1 MSCOMCTL.OCX , the one i have download from here
Code:
h%%ps://www.portablefreeware.com/resources.php

what can i do it?
i haven' t an image without it
the point that dexpot doesn't even need MSCOMCTL.OCX , my error trust of the site

thanks

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Quote from: mscomctl.ocx - What is mscomctl.ocx?
mscomctl.ocx is an ActiveX Control module that contains common controls used by Windows, such as ImageCombo, ImageList, ListView, ProgressBar, Slider, StatusBar, TabStrip, ToolBar, and TreeView controls.
mscomctl.ocx is a system process that is needed for your PC to work properly. It should not be removed
My advise would be a rollback to before you did whatever you did to corrupt or remove it.

If you can't them a reinstall of the OS would be in order.
If you don't mind me asking, how did it get removed ?

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Did you download from the developers website Dexpot | Virtuelle Desktops für Windows for the latest version?

Also posted February 2016:
Long time no hear! Thank you for sending in your feedback regarding compatibility issues with Windows 10 - we're aware of them. An update will follow.

Also, we've removed OpenCandy (displayed an ad during the installation process) from the Dexpot installer.

Upvote 0

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
mscomctl.ocx is an ActiveX Control module that contains common controls used by Windows, such as ImageCombo, ImageList, ListView, ProgressBar, Slider, StatusBar, TabStrip, ToolBar, and TreeView controls.
mscomctl.ocx is a system process that is needed for your PC to work properly. It should not be removed
My advise would be a rollback to before you did whatever you did to corrupt or remove it.

If you can't them a reinstall of the OS would be in order.
If you don't mind me asking, how did it get removed ?
hi
MSCOMCTL.OCX is not present on my system , is not present in a clean install of w7 or 8.1 or 10
i haven't removed but i want to remove , because it used only by dexpot portable
thanks

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_
Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
hi
MSCOMCTL.OCX is not present on my system , is not present in a clean install of w7 or 8.1 or 10
i haven't removed but i want to remove , because it used only by dexpot portable
thanks
See, thats not true, it should have been on there and is a part of windows, did you read this :
Well, good luck anyway with your issue and welcome to MT :)

Reactions: giulia and Oxygen
Upvote 0

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
See, thats not true, it should have been on there and is a part of windows, did you read this :
Well, good luck anyway with your issue and welcome to MT :)
hi
yes i have read it
but have you perfom a search of MSCOMCTL.OCX in windows 7 , 8 and 10
there is no MSCOMCTL.OCX in windows 7 ,8 and 10 all 64bit
don't know the 32bit versions

it's could be part of windows xp , i don't know ,i haven't installed xp

have you installed windows 7 or 8 or 10 ? have you search for this file?
thanks

Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
hi
yes i have read it
but have you perfom a search of MSCOMCTL.OCX in windows 7 , 8 and 10
there is no MSCOMCTL.OCX in windows 7 ,8 and 10 all 64bit
don't know the 32bit versions

it's could be part of windows xp , i don't know ,i haven't installed xp

have you installed windows 7 or 8 or 10 ? have you search for this file?
thanks
OCX controls are indeed in windows 10, always were and will be, here is a thread from
windows official support to validate my info, if I don't know I promise you I wont mislead you ;)
Windows 10 and ocx controls not registering
If your not finding it, its because your looking for the wrong thing, in the wrong place :)

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.