Unusual task in Task Scheduler

XavierGaming

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
Early in this morning, I decided to clean install my system. I noticed a task after I've set up all my drivers and software named "CreateExplorerShellUnelevatedTask" that executes explorer.exe from the Windows directory and has "/NOUACCHECK " an argument. It's author is "ExplorerShellEnelevated" It is triggered to launch at task creation/modification.

Is this normal? I don't notice any malicious activity or any weird explorer.exe behaviour whatsoever. If this task indeed is malicious, I do not need any assistance, as I know what to do afterwards.

If you want to help me but have no knowledge on what is going on, you can view your Task Scheduler and if you see the same task and reply to this thread. Thank you :D

Last edited:

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Sorry task scheduler and task manager are the same thing?
Anyway I suppose you want us to check our active processes

Wait I have to turn on PC

Last edited:
Reactions: XavierGaming

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
That's a task implemented in some builds of Windows 10 before November Update came up. Did ISO file was clean and download from a trusted source? What AdwCleaner says?

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
i don't think i see it in my pc. and try to google it: other persons were suggested to scan with anti-everything

Reactions: AtlBo
D

Deleted member 2913

If I am not wrong, some software like Ccleaner, etc... have option to not invoke UAC on run & if you enable the option then an entry is created in TaskScheduler.

XavierGaming

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 18, 2015
Backup is done and I deleted the task. Nothing has changed, I think the task was not necessary. Many thanks, @BoraMurdar. :D

If I am not wrong, some software like Ccleaner, etc... have option to not invoke UAC on run & if you enable the option then an entry is created in TaskScheduler.

CCleaner has a separate entry to skip UAC it indeed is created in the Task Scheduler. :D

Sorry task scheduler and task manager are the same thing?
Anyway I suppose you want us to check our active processes

Wait I have to turn on PC

TM and TS are two different things. The TS is used to schedule tasks, skip UAC, automate stuff and etc. I suggest that you learn about it more. It's a pretty useful tool. :D

For all who helped, thank you. :D

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
I found that line today after running FRST under addition.txt

C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\CreateExplorerShellUnelevatedTask.job => C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe

Thing is I checked task scheduler and couldn't find it. Neither with Comodo Killswitch.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.