Advice Request Update failure kb5034441?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I understand that you're experiencing an update failure with KB5034441, and you're wondering if others are having the same issue and if it's safe to run without this update. Additionally, you're seeking alternatives to updating the entire system.

Firstly, it's not uncommon for some users to encounter update failures with specific updates. In this case, the error code 0x80070643 indicates a problem with the installation process. It could be due to various reasons, such as conflicting software, corrupted system files, or issues with Windows Update itself.

To determine if others are experiencing the same issue, it's helpful to check online forums, Microsoft community boards, or social media platforms where users discuss Windows updates. This can give you an idea of how widespread the problem is and if there are any known solutions or workarounds.

Regarding the importance of KB5034441, it's a Windows Recovery Environment update. The Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) is a tool that helps troubleshoot and repair Windows startup issues. While it's generally recommended to keep your system up to date, running without this specific update shouldn't pose a significant risk to your computer's functionality. However, it's always advisable to stay updated to ensure you have the latest security patches and bug fixes.

If you prefer not to update the entire system, you can try a few troubleshooting steps to resolve the update failure. Here are some suggestions:

1. Restart your computer and try installing the update again. Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary issues.

2. Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. This built-in tool can automatically detect and fix common Windows Update problems. To access it, go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters > Windows Update.

3. Temporarily disable any third-party antivirus or security software you have installed. Sometimes, these programs can interfere with the update process. After disabling them, attempt the update installation again.

4. Manually reset the Windows Update components. This involves stopping the Windows Update service, renaming specific folders, and restarting the service. Microsoft provides a detailed guide on how to do this, which you can find by searching for "Reset Windows Update components" on their support website.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, you may need to consider contacting Microsoft support for further assistance or waiting for a future update that addresses the problem.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
It's a patch for Bitlocker bypass. It requires about 720MB in Recovery partition and if you have less than that the update will fail. The default size for Windows 11 (on my computer) is 800MB.
yeah I read something about that, but was not sure of the size of my Recovery partition, -- how do I check that?? :unsure:

cofer123

Level 3
Sep 7, 2021
I had update failure of kb5034441 with error 0x80070643. Anyone else having this issue? It seems weird to me that user cannot download this update and install it? How serious is this, how safe is it to run without it. Any ideas short of updating the entire system (I forget what that's called?)

KB5034441: Windows Recovery Environment update for Windows 10, version 21H2 and 22H2: January 9, 2024 - Microsoft Support
I had that on a Windows 10 machine, while it worked fine on my main rig with Windows 11.

I got it to work on Win10 using this official workaround from Microsoft: KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update - Microsoft Support

Quite a mess, to be honest.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I had an error on 2 out of 3 of my Windows 10 PC's. This morning one said I'm up to date, and the other still has this same issue.
error.jpg

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Just right-click on the Windows icon, Disk Management. And you have it. Mine is 962 MB
...it seems the procedure is a tad different on this VMware VM, but I'm getting closer, but have to leave for an appointment. Reading below @Back3 post I see others are also having this issue and some ways to fix it or disable it, so I am glad I posted this snafu...

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft shares script to update Windows 10 WinRE with BitLocker fixes
Microsoft has released a PowerShell script to automate updating the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) partition in order to fix CVE-2024-20666, a vulnerability that allowed for BitLocker encryption bypass.

This security issue was resolved in the KB5034441 security update released earlier this week during this month's Patch Tuesday.

The PowerShell script addresses a known issue causing KB5034441 install failures on Windows 10 systems, which leaves the devices vulnerable to the BitLocker encryption bypass flaw that allows access to encrypted data.

When trying to deploy the security update, users report seeing 0x80070643 errors, saying, "There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070643)."

As Microsoft explains, this happens because instead of displaying a CBS_E_INSUFFICIENT_DISK_SPACE error when the WinRE partition is not large enough, Windows Update incorrectly says the generic "0x80070643 - ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE" error message instead.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.