Jan 8, 2011
RE: Update on PlayStation Network [Compromised & Restoration]

Kazuo Hirai: PlayStation Network Restoration Announcement
Watch video

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011

I have installed the update but still cant seem to sign in, I wish they would hurry up.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

I heard the UK should be online on Monday around ~6pm, so we can change our passwords.

It'll be slow since there are so many users doing the same thing at once. Well that's what I think.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Not Anonymous but "Anonymous" file found in Sony's servers

According to Sony and Anonymous it was not Anonymous who attacked Sony two weeks ago.

However, according to a new blog post by Sony US, a file named Anonymous containing "We Are Legion." was found in their servers.

The quoted text below was taken from a blog post by Sony Corporate Communications & Social Media Sr. Director, Patrick Seybold, which explains the answer to questions made by the U.S. House of Representatives regarding the large-scale cyber attack which took place two weeks ago.

We also informed the subcommittee of the following:
  • Sony has been the victim of a very carefully planned, very professional, highly sophisticated criminal cyber attack.
  • We discovered that the intruders had planted a file on one of our Sony Online Entertainment servers named “Anonymous” with the words “We are Legion.”
  • By April 25, forensic teams were able to confirm the scope of the personal data they believed had been taken, and could not rule out whether credit card information had been accessed. On April 26, we notified customers of those facts.
  • As of today, the major credit card companies have not reported any fraudulent transactions that they believe are the direct result of this cyber attack.
  • Protecting individuals’ personal data is the highestpriority and ensuring that the Internet can be made secure for commerce is also essential. Worldwide, countries and businesses will have to come together to ensure the safety of commerce over the Internet and find ways to combat cybercrime and cyber terrorism.
  • We are taking a number of steps to prevent future breaches, including enhanced levels of data protection and encryption; enhanced ability to detect software intrusions, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns; additional firewalls; establishment of a new data center in an undisclosed location with increased security; and the naming of a new Chief Information Security Officer.
Read more

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

I managed to get online, change password and play some MW2.

I still got it. 26-3 on TDM :p

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

PlayStation Network hack launched from Amazon EC2

The hackers who breached the security of Sony's PlayStation Network and gained access to sensitive data for 77 million subscribers used Amazon's web services cloud to launch the attack, Bloomberg News reported.

The attackers rented a server from Amazon's EC2 service and penetrated the popular network from there, the news outlet said, citing an unnamed person with knowledge of the matter. The hackers supplied fake information to Amazon. The account has now been closed.

Neither Sony nor Amazon commented on the claims.

Read more

It's hard to believe that Sony will ever manage to find out who is behind this attack...they are clearly dealing with professionals here...most likely they didn't left behind a lot of traces

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011

I find it kind of ironic that PSN gets shot down because millions of credit cards may have been stolen, and the first thing i do when it gets back online is to punch in my credit card to purchase Fancy Pants Adventures. :lol:

Loving their Welcome Back deal btw.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: Update on PlayStation Network [Compromised] - October 2011

An Important Message From Sony’s Chief Information Security Officer​

"We want to let you know that we have detected attempts on Sony Entertainment Network, PlayStation Network and Sony Online Entertainment (“Networks”) services to test a massive set of sign-in IDs and passwords against our network database. These attempts appear to include a large amount of data obtained from one or more compromised lists from other companies, sites or other sources. In this case, given that the data tested against our network consisted of sign-in ID-password pairs, and that the overwhelming majority of the pairs resulted in failed matching attempts, it is likely the data came from another source and not from our Networks. We have taken steps to mitigate the activity."

Read Full Announcment

Misleading title, not hacked. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.