Q&A [Updated 25/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Bundled with PUP
None

HarborFront

Level 40
Content Creator
but the problem is we don't know why firefox uses google safe browsing but still doesn't perform as good as google chrome or other chromium's forks
perhaps firefox focuses on limiting telemetry to google so it also limits the full strength of safe browsing or firefox uses only a delayed version, similar to adguard desktop
they will never perform as good as google chrome
Read the cached copy of the article here

https://web.archive.org/web/2018062....nz/posts/how-safe-browsing-works-in-firefox/

Evjl's Rain

Level 37
Content Creator
Trusted
AV-Tester
OS
Windows 8.1
Antivirus
Avast
"Firefox downloads a list of bad URLs every 30 minutes from the server"
that's the reason

google chrome updates in realtime
I saw a link was failed to be blocked but when I refreshed the page immediately after that, it was blocked

OS
Windows 8.1
Antivirus
Kaspersky
but the problem is we don't know why firefox uses google safe browsing but still doesn't perform as good as google chrome or other chromium's forks
perhaps firefox focuses on limiting telemetry to google so it also limits the full strength of safe browsing or firefox uses only a delayed version, similar to adguard desktop
they will never perform as good as google chrome
Agree with you. The most secure browser for me is google chrome. I love opera browser but only for secure surfing, and always with https everywhere avira or malwarebytes or....or...... extension. Google chrome only with WDBP
is enough

LDogg

Level 11
Agree with you. The most secure browser for me is google chrome. I love opera browser but only for secure surfing, and always with https everywhere avira or malwarebytes or....or...... extension. Google chrome only with WDBP
is enough
I disagree entirely.

1. I believe HTTPS Everywhere to be outdated now. Most sites use https by default now.

2. WDBP isn't sufficient protection on its own for the browser.

~LDogg

OS
Windows 8.1
Antivirus
Kaspersky
I disagree entirely.

1. I believe HTTPS Everywhere to be outdated now. Most sites use https by default now.

~LDogg
I wrote about a difference extesion just becase to show how mutch i trust opera or other browsers. google chrome alone is enough for me. I run and WDBP just for little bit help. All the others browser need 15 extension extra for secure surf. My english is not good . I hope you anderstand me. f or me the best extesions is avira and malwarebytes. I don t use more extesions. And WDBP with chrome because is lite.

It is wrong to compare GoogleChrome to Firefox.
Both have their own pros and cons.

GoogleChrome is like IE... both browsers exist just because most of the user-brains are "plug and play"... users don't like to read, don't want to learn, nothing... most of the users they don't know what is a browser... they just want to browse. And considering that GoogleChrome / IE are massively offered by mega-companies with marketing budgets of billions of dollars... that is the main reason most of users use GoogleChrome / IE, just because both are the most offered browsers. In analogy, the same happens with Windows / Linux.

Firefox is not for most of the users.
Firefox is a tool. That means, Firefox' users need to read, to learn etc how to take advantage from Firefox.
Compared to GoogleChrome, Firefox is almost 100% customizable. This is the main advantage of Firefox over GoogleChrome. And this Firefox customization covers everything, including aesthetics, functions, privacy & security measures etc.

In terms of privacy/security, default settings for GoogleChrome / Firefox is not the right parameter for comparisons. Firefox customized is unbeatable when compared to GoogleChrome (not by chance, Tor is a Firefox fork).

And the fact Firefox offers SafeBrowsing (from GoogleChrome), it means nothing.
Firefox offers customization. And users can choose whatever they want.
By the way, in Firefox you can achieve 25/25 from last @Evjl's Rain test, without SafeBrowsing (from GoogleChrome), and without UBlock, hosts, add-ons, extensions etc. It is a mistake to make comparisons/conclusions based on hosts and add-ons/extensions.

Firefox not just can be the best in privacy/security, but also is incredible fast, and one of the browsers with the lower system impact.

OS
Windows 8.1
Antivirus
Kaspersky
I disagree entirely.

~LDogg
Make a simple test at malcode database and phisingtank. Chrome with WDBP. And tell me the results

OS
Windows 8.1
Antivirus
Kaspersky
It is wrong to compare GoogleChrome to Firefox.
Both have their own pros and cons.

GoogleChrome is like IE... both browsers exist just because most of the user-brains are "plug and play"... users don't like to read, don't want to learn, nothing... most of the users they don't know what is a browser... they just want to browse. And considering that GoogleChrome / IE are massively offered by mega-companies with marketing budgets of billions of dollars... that is the main reason most of users use GoogleChrome / IE, just because both are the most offered browsers. In analogy, the same happens with Windows / Linux.

Firefox is not for most of the users.
Firefox is a tool. That means, Firefox' users need to read, to learn etc how to take advantage from Firefox.
Compared to GoogleChrome, Firefox is almost 100% customizable. This is the main advantage of Firefox over GoogleChrome. And this Firefox customization covers everything, including aesthetics, functions, privacy & security measures etc.

In terms of privacy/security, default settings for GoogleChrome / Firefox is not the right parameter for comparisons. Firefox customized is unbeatable when compared to GoogleChrome (not by chance, Tor is a Firefox fork).

And the fact Firefox offers SafeBrowsing (from GoogleChrome), it means nothing.
Firefox offers customization. And users can choose whatever they want.
By the way, in Firefox you can achieve 25/25 from last @Evjl's Rain test, without SafeBrowsing (from GoogleChrome), and without UBlock, hosts, add-ons, extensions etc. It is a mistake to make comparisons/conclusions based on hosts and add-ons/extensions.

Firefox not just can be the best in privacy/security, but also is incredible fast, and one of the browsers with the lower system impact.

OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Microsoft
Firefox can beat chromium in memory usage after you have like 20 tabs open, i usually have like 1-3 at max so chrome is always been lighter solution. Firefox have few extensions that offer better privacy over chromium + stability. Chromium is just lighter.

After trying most of browsers i think yandex fits best for me, maybe not privacy wide the best option. But security wide for sure

Theres also buit in dns, huge list where to choose from

Attachments

OS
Windows 8.1
Antivirus
Kaspersky
Firefox can beat chromium in memory usage after you have like 20 tabs open, i usually have like 1-3 at max so chrome is always been lighter solution. Firefox have few extensions that offer better privacy over chromium + stability. Chromium is just lighter.

After trying most of browsers i think yandex fits best for me, maybe not privacy wide the best option. But security wide for sure
same like you. For me chrome is light secure and have the best translator. If your mother lanquage is not english is very important. For me is. And the important for me is light everywere or browser or antivirus. But is just what i wanT.Is not the best opinion

Evjl's Rain

Level 37
Content Creator
Trusted
AV-Tester
OS
Windows 8.1
Antivirus
Avast

Theres also buit in dns, huge list where to choose from
yandex is poor in blocking malwares
zero efficacy in blocking phishing

some extensions are not available in yandex or cannot be installed although I tried different ways

Last edited:
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Microsoft
yandex is poor in blocking malwares
zero efficacy in blocking phishing

some extensions are not available in yandex or cannot be installed although I tried different ways
Yeah the store is weird, you have to go chrome web store to download extensions

I have chrome always installed and up to date, since i use bank verification on some sites with it

Anyways if i find yandex dns fastest for me, i can always go same setup google chrome and the only difference is that most alternative browsers are 32bit using bit less ram than google does. Sadly google chrome is just best optimized out there when using media players etc

OS
Windows 8.1
Antivirus
Kaspersky
Yeah the store is weird, you have to go chrome web store to download extensions

I have chrome always installed and up to date, since i use bank verification on some sites with it

Anyways if i find yandex dns fastest for me, i can always go same setup google chrome and the only difference is that most alternative browsers are 32bit using bit less ram than google does. Sadly google chrome is just best optimized out there when using media players etc
Good for you. We all choose what we like. But it's good to be here in the malwaretips forum to see the weaknesses of our choices

Evjl's Rain

Level 37
Content Creator
Trusted
AV-Tester
OS
Windows 8.1
Antivirus
Avast
But really guys i'm not professional, i am not the best tester at malwaretips. But for testing browsers how much secure is i will going to Malc0de Database and PhishTank | Join the fight against phishing and is easy to found the best option. If i am wrong i wait yours opinions
malc0de, vxvault, phishtank, openphish,...
I also find extra links which are not in vxvault/malc0de because these extensions usually have signatures for malc0de already

Firefox can beat chromium in memory usage after you have like 20 tabs open... Chromium is just lighter.
Nothing against your preferences. The definition of "the best", always depends on the user-profile, not in the product. So, without questioning your preferences, I just would like to share with you some info:

1) At Firefox you can customize the number of "content processes". For example, if the user in average needs 20 opened tabs, then he can use 10 processes for better performance. And if he needs 4 tabs, he can use 1 content process consuming less than 300MB. Not to mention that also is possible in Firefox, without add-ons/extensions, to "hibernate" tabs, downsizing RAM and CPU to the lowest rates in the market.

2) If you have more than 5GB RAM, then RAM not always is important when we talk about system-performance. But CPU is important. Firefox has WebRender option. That means, if user wants, he can transfer most of the CPU resources to the GPU resources. This will make CPU almost zero. And for browsers GPU always is and will be more efficient than CPU. Firefox can work in the computer as a video-game. Now, ask yourself why video-games use GPU and not CPU.

3) Browser structures are trending "to isolate processes" (every webpage will have its own process). This will be a tremendous pressure for CPUs, but not for GPUs.

Conclusion: Firefox is a matter of customization. If users don't love to read/learn how to customize, then other browsers are best for them.
The irony here is that Firefox is so customizable that can be transformed in a kind of GoogleChrome. But the opposite, is impossible.

OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Microsoft
Nothing against your preferences. The definition of "the best", always depends on the user-profile, not in the product. So, without questioning your preferences, I just would like to share with you some info:

1) At Firefox you can customize the number of "content processes". For example, if the user in average needs 20 opened tabs, then he can use 10 processes for better performance. And if he needs 4 tabs, he can use 1 content process consuming less than 300MB. Not to mention that also is possible in Firefox, without add-ons/extensions, to "hibernate" tabs, downsizing RAM and CPU to the lowest rates in the market.

2) If you have more than 5GB RAM, then RAM not always is important when we talk about system-performance. But CPU is important. Firefox has WebRender option. That means, if user wants, he can transfer most of the CPU resources to the GPU resources. This will make CPU almost zero. And for browsers GPU always is and will be more efficient than CPU. Firefox can work in the computer as a video-game. Now, ask yourself why video-games use GPU and not CPU.

3) Browser structures are trending "to isolate processes" (every webpage will have its own process). This will be a tremendous pressure for CPUs, but not for GPUs.

Conclusion: Firefox is a matter of customization. If users don't love to read/learn how to customize, then other browsers are best for them.
The irony here is that Firefox is so customizable that can be transformed in a kind of GoogleChrome. But the opposite, is impossible.
Well firefox is better than chromium in my opinion, but im still worrying about the ram its using even it doesnt have any affect on system performance. Firefox font rendering is nicer to look at

Im simple guy;
- trying to get privacy from google on browser
- still using gmail and having android phone :emoji_innocent:

Forgot your password?