Andy Ful

Level 35
Content Creator
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
Windows Defender
I said annoy and average user so nope. Issues are for the ability to filter at the same degree and quality plus keep pages looking the same.
Dns filtering in general doesn't suffer from any security issues a normal dns would not suffer. Adguard especially offers doh which increases privacy/security in a combination with the correct setup(atm firefox and something to do the dns resolving as windows suck. possibly dnscrypt etc).
Thanks for the update. My knowledge on this topic is from another century.:giggle:

Sunshine-boy

Level 27
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
ESET
so how do they achieve HTML, script and CSS filtering?
they don't, however, they can block third-party domains that host ads.dns filtering is useless cuz it gets bypass if you want to use a VPN or proxy.
I don't understand the logic behind Pin-hole and similar services like AdGuard Home

Andy Ful

Level 35
Content Creator
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
Windows Defender
they don't, however, they can block third-party domains that host ads.dns filtering is useless cuz it gets bypass if you want to use a VPN or proxy.
I don't understand the logic behind Pin-hole and similar services like AdGuard Home
You do not understand it, because VPN is important to you. That is normal. :giggle:
Yet, many people do not use any VPN, because they do not need it in the home environment (but that can depend on the country). Furthermore, VPNs can introduce some vulnerabilities, too.
DNS filtering does not introduce additional vulnerabilities and can improve users' security.(y)

Arequire

Level 22
Content Creator
Verified
Yes but u can install Ublock -AdGard on every machine.DNS filtering is only useful for IoT deviceS.
You could, but uBlock's limited to browsers so desktop/mobile applications are still free to display ads. AdGuard's an option but a lifetime subscription for 4 PC/Mac + 4 Android is over $300 while building a Pi-Hole is around $40 or less if you spring for a cheaper Pi model.

If you live in a household with a lot of devices then slapping a Pi-Hole/AdGuard Home on your network is so much easier than dealing with devices individually, especially if you have no right to interfere with devices that don't belong to you (family, roommates, etc.).

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Level 35
Content Creator
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
Windows Defender
Dns filtering has its use but for a home user it should be the last option.
DNS filtering has an advantage to add some protection against the malware by blocking the connection with the malicious URLs (outside the web browser). If the chosen DNS works well (no Internet speed degradation) then why not use it.
Personally, I use Edge (SmartScreen) + AdGuard DNS (no application, just DNS) + WD Network Protection (part of WD ASR). Such setup, does not introduce new vulnerabilities, does not degrade the web browser performance, and is probably as safe as other solutions.

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Content Creator
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
DNS filtering has an advantage to add some protection against the malware by blocking the connection with the malicious URLs (outside the web browser). If the chosen DNS works well (no Internet speed degradation) then why not use it.
Personally, I use Edge (SmartScreen) + AdGuard DNS (no application, just DNS) + WD Network Protection (part of WD ASR). Such setup, does not introduce new vulnerabilities, does not degrade the web browser performance, and is probably as safe as other solutions.
Correct, as long as adguard dns is as fast as other dns for you and you are happy from the filtering quality it's a good option.

Flak

Level 1
I skimmed this thread, or at least the last couple of pages. What would the recommendation be for browser and browser extensions for adblocking and general protection (pup/phising/malware) for family members and those less savy? With the caveat that UBlock in its default setup causes too much trouble and too many calls to me.

Nightwalker

Level 12
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
ESET
I skimmed this thread, or at least the last couple of pages. What would the recommendation be for browser and browser extensions for adblocking and general protection (pup/phising/malware) for family members and those less savy? With the caveat that UBlock in its default setup causes too much trouble and too many calls to me.
Try AdGuard extension.

Windows_Security

Level 21
Content Creator
Verified
Operating System
Windows 7
For family, I always keep on the safe browsing feature of the browser. Some combined Ad & Malware links blockers use filter lists which trigger some websites (at least in Holland e.g. nu.nl) to not show video's or even blocking content with a transparent overlay pop-up.

So it is not about the best in terms of performance and protection but it comes more to less hassle (no calls) with some protection. Best options are:
1. Malware Bytes Browser extension, does well in the tests of Evjl's Rain and in a recent test of a testing organiation. Blocks most malware links and does an above average Ad & tracking protection.

2. Avast Browsing protecton extension, did not do so well in Evjl's Rain malware tests, but did reasonably well in the test of the testing organization. Does OK in phishing tests of EVjl's Rain (better than MalwareBytes).. Its ad & tracking protection is similar to Disconnect (check configuration of Avast to enable blocking by default). I know Avast never gave problems, (at least never called by relatives having problems). I add it to Chorme for years on PC's of relatives.

Advantage of above two is that they combined Phishing-Malware & Ad-tracker blocking, but are not breaking website functionality or triggering anti-ad block wall's.

I like MalwareBytes extension a little better. I have it on my wife's 2-in-1 laptop. Only once it did block something it should not (a website of EasyJet to claim expenses due to cancelled flights). Therefor I have not added MalwareBytes extension to PC's of family members.

Suggest you try them both

Last edited:

legendcampos

Level 5
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
ESET
Avira Browser Safety If I'm not mistaken has the same engine as Adguard

Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
Windows Defender
Avira Browser Safety If I'm not mistaken has the same engine as Adguard
Partners | AdGuard

"Avira is a popular antivirus and security software developer that offers a series of products to block malware, anonymize your traffic, protect your mobile devices etc.
As a part of partnership with AdGuard, Avira has added the ad blocking feature based on our technology and filters to their browser extensions."

Moonhorse

Level 22
Content Creator
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
Windows Defender
Netcraft been updated today 15h january

What's new in version 1.13.0?
• URLs can now be directly reported from within the extension
• Site data now refreshes if the current page redirects
• Styling updates to the options and blocked pages

Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
Cylance
Netcraft been updated today 15h january

What's new in version 1.13.0?
• URLs can now be directly reported from within the extension
• Site data now refreshes if the current page redirects
• Styling updates to the options and blocked pages
Thanks Moonhorse.

Make sure you open Netcraft, and go to options. The 3 options were turned off on my system.

1547598843708.png