Evjl's Rain

Level 45
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
@Evjl's Rain seems that using Chromium Egde with Smart Screen filtering enabled gives the same level of browser protection as using Chrome + WDBP?
I think chrome + WDBP combo is better because there are 2 vs. 1 engine
edge is better than WDBP
moreover, when something is downloaded from a browser, when we execute it, it will be checked with windows smartscreen

that's why I prefer using products from different vendors than several products from 1 vendor

Evjl's Rain

Level 45
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Just to resume, doesn't this mean that Edge filtering system is using Microsoft definitions better than WDBP? Ignore the other components, just Smart Screen for Chromium Edge VS WDBP...
according to what I saw during testing microsoft edge vs WDBP:
- edge uses similar database as WDBP + it can also check for file hash for possible malware. After downloading a file, edge takes some time to analyze it and give us the result of analysis, similarly to chrome
- WDBP does not check the file. It only checks the link
- edge also warns us about suspicious websites or files. WDBP does not warn -> only blocks known malicious contents

They are my observations, I can't find any detail explanation of WDBP
I might be very wrong about file hash. It's my assumption but Edge smartscreen does check the file for malware

here are some tests that showed edge/IE smartscreen blocked many more than WDBP

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 54
Verified
according to what I saw during testing microsoft edge vs WDBP:
- edge uses similar database as WDBP + it can also check for file hash for possible malware. After downloading a file, edge takes some time to analyze it and give us the result of analysis, similarly to chrome
- WDBP does not check the file. It only checks the link
- edge also warns us about suspicious websites or files. WDBP does not warn -> only blocks known malicious contents

They are my observations, I can't find any detail explanation of WDBP
I might be very wrong about file hash. It's my assumption but Edge smartscreen does check the file for malware

here are some tests that showed edge/IE smartscreen blocked many more than WDBP

I would agree with your observation about Smartscreen > WDBP. But like all things M$, little documentation. They like to keep things "secret"! :LOL:

Burrito

Level 23
And they require email. For an extension? Why?
To spam the crap out of you?

This is being discussed at the Malwarebytes forum.

My guess is that it's just a bug.

But ya never know.... maybe in their minds, if you use their tool for free, they at least get to send you a few marketing emails...

I dunno.