Advice Request Updating a Full Macrium Image after making Incrementals?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

RodM1956

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
I install Win10, then Macrium, and then my favorite software to C:. But NO security software.

Then I make a FULL BU Image, this is "MY BASE"... My First BU Image. It goes into a folder on D: Macrium will name it 00-00.mrimg

Then I install games, security ETC, then I make my incremental BU Image. Macrium will name it 01-01.mrimg

So my question is, when I want to add software or updates to the FULL BU Image, (00-00) how can I do that, since the Full and Incremental are tied together, and I just want to modify the FULL BU.

Can I move the incremental BU to another folder, Add to it, and then delete the 1st Full BU Image and make another one. Macrium will name it the same as before 00-00.mrimg.

Now I can move the incremental back into this folder and they will still recognize one another again.

Reactions: shmu26

RodM1956

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
Anyone have any input for me. I want to update the full BU without having it be unrecognized by the incremental. Thanks.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

When you make a full image of your system you should get around 15 mrimg files all 4 gig. In other words, the first file will be 00 and last file will be 14.

RodM1956

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
When you make a full image of your system you should get around 15 mrimg files all 4 gig. In other words, the first file will be 00 and last file will be 14.

Uhhhh What???

OK no answers here, and from Macrium ticket (support), I'm not sure they even understood the question...

So I figured it out myself.... So if anyone else wanted to know the answer, it is that after the full BU, just make differential BU images, don't make incremental, thus you can work on any of the BU's or delete ones you no longer need, they aren't tied together, like the incremental BU's

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Uhhhh What???

OK no answers here, and from Macrium ticket (support), I'm not sure they even understood the question...

So I figured it out myself.... So if anyone else wanted to know the answer, it is that after the full BU, just make differential BU images, don't make incremental, thus you can work on any of the BU's or delete ones you no longer need, they aren't tied together, like the incremental BU's
1 The string of 4GB files will happen if you back up to an external hard disk that is formatted FAT, which does not support larger files.

2 Glad you figured it out. Each incremental is linked to the previous file, so you need them all.
Differentials are linked to the original base file, so the base file + any differential file = a valid system backup set.

3 There is a good support thread for Macrium Reflect on the other forum, Wilders Security Forums.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.