Advice Request Upgrade Advisor

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I have since rolled back to 8.1 due to slow charging and some battery issues

Reactions: upnorth

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have since rolled back to 8.1 due to slow charging and some battery issues
How did you rollback?

Last April (2015), I upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile Preview but it bricked my Lumia 925. I had zero luck in restoring it with the Lumia tool.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Too bad that Microsoft leave those older Lumia Phones which are Nokia before, where under on a partnership; which are not already supported to upgrade on Windows 10

Last edited:

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
A bit out of topic but the Camera app is IMO not what it was before the upgrade. I always used Lumias own app that now ain't working and did delivered great images and videos. Microsofts app is doing alot but the quality and especially the focus is very poor. Seen a few articles about the issue and it's supposed to be fixed with upcoming app updates.

Another thing is the phone recording option. Only available on phones that comes with Windows10 preinstalled.

I'm very curious on the device encryption and exactly how effective it is.

Reactions: Vasudev

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
That's the same tool I used, and nothing has worked. I will probably destroy the device, as it contains some data on the device.

Did you ever try remove and plug back the battery connector? ( 1.25 in the video )

Reactions: Ink

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I'm very curious on the device encryption and exactly how effective it is.
People who use MS exchange can opt in to use encryption on WP8. On effectiveness, I really can't comment because it uses 128bit key, atleast 256bit would've been more secure. Maybe they switched to 128bit because of performance issues.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
People who use MS exchange can opt in to use encryption on WP8. On effectiveness, I really can't comment because it uses 128bit key, atleast 256bit would've been more secure. Maybe they switched to 128bit because of performance issues.
Windows 10 Mobile security guide (Windows 10)

First time ever after the upgrade where I saw the real basics mentioned and I agree about 256bit but this looks promising...Quote : " Device encryption even enables you to define your own cipher suite. For example, you can specify the algorithm and key size that Windows 10 Mobile uses for data encryption ". Guess that's only through policies in AD ( Active Directory ) but would be very cool if also possible locally.

The extra Malware resistance is also very positive.

Reactions: Vasudev
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.