Advice Request Upgraded to Windows 8.1. What's Embedded Lockdown Manager?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
After a disastrous experience with Windows 10 self-destructing, my system was reset back to factory settings using the hidden recovery drive.

For 1-2 weeks I was using Windows 8.0 Core. Until this week I applied the latest security patches the prerequisites that allowed the Windows 8.1 Upgrade. Today, I upgraded to Windows 8.1 using the automatic upgrade method by Windows Update.

To complete the Windows 8.1 Setup and Initialisation, Windows requested me to Reboot the PC.

I noticed a new item in the Start Screen menu.

upload_2015-9-20_16-3-47.png

Image 1a: Embedded Lockdown Manager on Start Screen menu.

upload_2015-9-20_16-26-36.png

Image: Embedded Lockdown Manager launched in MMC.

I did some research on Google to find that it's installed on Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry devices.
The Embedded Lockdown Manager (ELM) is an MMC snap-in that automatically detects which lockdown features are installed on a Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry device and allows them to be configured. A popular request has been for the Embedded Lockdown Manager to be updated with configuration support for new lockdown features included in Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry. We are excited to announce that an update to the Embedded Lockdown Manager is now available that adds configuration support for the following in Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry:
  • Windows 8 Application Launcher – NEW!
    Enables a single Windows Store application to start automatically. Can be configured to disable the Start screen.
  • USB Filter – NEW!
    Allows only trusted USB devices to connect to system.
  • Gesture Filter – NEW!
    Prevents undesirable edge and corner gestures. For example, an IT pro can block the top edge to prevent the closing of apps or block the right edge to prevent the Charms bar from being displayed.
  • Keyboard Filter – Now supports Breakout key configuration.
  • Shell Launcher – Can now be enabled from ELM (previously required DISM command to enable).

Further reading, I found it's supported platforms are those of Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry; Windows 7, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012 R2.

I am not using Windows 8.1 Pro.
- If I am using 8.1 Core, why has it been installed?
- Does anyone have this installed, after an Automatic Windows 8.1 Upgrade (through Windows Updates)?
- As an optional Windows Features (for supported platforms - see above), why was it installed?

Any help, feedback or experience is appreciated. Thanks.

Reactions: XhenEd
H

hjlbx

After a disastrous experience with Windows 10 self-destructing, my system was reset back to factory settings using the hidden recovery drive.

For 1-2 weeks I was using Windows 8.0 Core. Until this week I applied the latest security patches the prerequisites that allowed the Windows 8.1 Upgrade. Today, I upgraded to Windows 8.1 using the automatic upgrade method by Windows Update.

To complete the Windows 8.1 Setup and Initialisation, Windows requested me to Reboot the PC.

I noticed a new item in the Start Screen menu.

View attachment 72371
Image 1a: Embedded Lockdown Manager on Start Screen menu.

View attachment 72375
Image: Embedded Lockdown Manager launched in MMC.

I did some research on Google to find that it's installed on Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry devices.
The Embedded Lockdown Manager (ELM) is an MMC snap-in that automatically detects which lockdown features are installed on a Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry device and allows them to be configured. A popular request has been for the Embedded Lockdown Manager to be updated with configuration support for new lockdown features included in Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry. We are excited to announce that an update to the Embedded Lockdown Manager is now available that adds configuration support for the following in Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry:
  • Windows 8 Application Launcher – NEW!
    Enables a single Windows Store application to start automatically. Can be configured to disable the Start screen.
  • USB Filter – NEW!
    Allows only trusted USB devices to connect to system.
  • Gesture Filter – NEW!
    Prevents undesirable edge and corner gestures. For example, an IT pro can block the top edge to prevent the closing of apps or block the right edge to prevent the Charms bar from being displayed.
  • Keyboard Filter – Now supports Breakout key configuration.
  • Shell Launcher – Can now be enabled from ELM (previously required DISM command to enable).

Further reading, I found it's supported platforms are those of Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry; Windows 7, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012 R2.

I am not using Windows 8.1 Pro.
- If I am using 8.1 Core, why has it been installed?
- Does anyone have this installed, after an Automatic Windows 8.1 Upgrade (through Windows Updates)?
- As an optional Windows Features (for supported platforms - see above), why was it installed?

Any help, feedback or experience is appreciated. Thanks.

@Huracan

It appears on my system after a clean install of W8.1 using the Media Creation Tool. When using the OEM (Toshiba) OS it does not appear.

The Start Menu icon disappears at some point after using the system for a while.

I haven't looked into it any further at this time. Your infos above are much more than I knew 2 minutes ago... :D

Reactions: XhenEd and Ink
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.