Advice Request Upgrading RAM from 8GB to 32GB

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Hi,
I'm using FX504 Asus Series laptop. Currently default is 8GB. I intended to upgrade it to their max allowable limit: 32GB.
Wondering if there's any risk of maxxing out the RAM; other than cost itself?

Bill K

Level 5
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
It is recommended to stick with the same type of RAM for expansion as far as the brand and speed ratings. While mixing different RAM can sometimes still be recognized and work it can lead to potential timing issues and possible BSOD issues in time. Windows should automatically recognize the addition of new RAM and alert you to the change during the initial boot process after installation. Other than some potential additional heat and power usage there shouldn't be any downside that I'm aware of, and obviously the system should run noticeably faster particularly when running multiple programs simultaneously. Good luck and let us know how it goes! :cool:

Dex4Sure

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
May 14, 2019
Depends on the other specs of the machine and what are your use cases. First of all no point going with 32GB if your CPU isn't up to the task of running heavy multitasking without issues. For most people 16GB is more than enough. I have 32GB of RAM on my desktop, but I tend to regularly run close to 100 chrome tabs open at once + several other programs in the background and not closing them if I decide to fire up a game either. So I peak often around 25GB RAM usage or so. If your use cases aren't that extreme on RAM, 32GB is pointless and you'd be better off saving money and going with 16GB.

CMLew

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Depends on the other specs of the machine and what are your use cases. First of all no point going with 32GB if your CPU isn't up to the task of running heavy multitasking without issues. For most people 16GB is more than enough. I have 32GB of RAM on my desktop, but I tend to regularly run close to 100 chrome tabs open at once + several other programs in the background and not closing them if I decide to fire up a game either. So I peak often around 25GB RAM usage or so. If your use cases aren't that extreme on RAM, 32GB is pointless and you'd be better off saving money and going with 16GB.
Kinda agreed. I was planning to setup a VM.
Currently on this laptop im using i7 8750H.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Well, you can quickly and easily edit images the size of 32000x14000 pixels and still have 50% of RAM left :D Or edit an image of such size while 7zip is compressing archive with 256MB dictionary and 12 threads...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.