Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I don't play any online games that need port forwarding. I use one private tracker where it would've been helpful if I had a real IP, but mine is shared, so there isn't any benefit for me.
So, I have disabled it on my router. It's more secured that way.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Disabled, its safer, not a game player and can forward ports manually if needed.
Dependable advice:
Also a great resource for other testing, tech, etc. Some info is old and obsolete but others are still relevant.
I'm surprised sometimes how long he keeps some stuff on his site, but his advice is dependable, the tools have/had worthy purposes, so I guess its partially an archive for him.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Enabled. It depends on the router manufacturer’s firmware. For example ASUS uses miniUPnPd which never exposed UPnP to the WAN side. Which is how it was always supposed to be. If it is only exposed on the LAN then it is just as safe as the devices on your LAN. Security of LAN devices is outside of the scope of UPnP, and most people are at higher risk of other issues as long as it isn’t exposed to the WAN side. Looking at my routing tables the only things I ever see open up a port are games. I’d rather have games open up ports and then have them close automatically than mess with a bunch of port forwarding which leaves them open constantly. Honestly there’s a bunch of panic because there are bad implementations of UPnP. But a lot of the advice on router security.org and GRC is old or a bit paranoid.

Malleable

Level 1
Mar 2, 2021
Disabled and haven't thought about it for years so apparently it hasn't caused a problem in my case. Not a gamer, pretty much an everything elser. Arris SBG7400AC2 router not by choice but by limited uderpopulated West North Central state ISP provider options.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stopspying

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
@oldschool quotes a post above GRC number #6 has some old and obsolete information. UPnP uses Port 5000/TCP. Don't worry about it, although here on the forum it is always good to discuss many interesting issues. Modern routers, recent operating systems, are already covered and no action is required. Unless you are using an old router, and are running an old operating system.;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.