US to put Kaspersky probe on a fast track amidst war in Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
According to the article, the US may now be exploring ways to block all US downloads of Kaspersky software. Although once again, there's nothing concrete in the article, this snip (from the article) has me thinking. I mean: it's articulating those vague thoughts many of us had when the Ukraine invasion first began.

Recently, Cybernews has learned that Kaspersky Lab is protecting the resources of the Russian Ministry of Defense and other high-value domains that are instrumental to the Russian propaganda machine.

Reuters has reported that the US government began privately warning some American companies the day after Russia invaded Ukraine that Moscow could manipulate software designed by Kaspersky to cause harm.

Thanks for sharing this article. (y)

G

Guilhermesene

Yes I like Bitdefender for those reasons:

- Automatic
- Quietness
- It uses a lot of RAM (in my case I have 32gb) but practically no CPU
- Bitdefender Central to manage the devices

These are a few that I remember at the moment 🙂 🙂 I like Bitdefender for these reasons

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Yes I like Bitdefender for those reasons:

- Automatic
- Quietness
- It uses a lot of RAM (in my case I have 32gb) but practically no CPU
- Bitdefender Central to manage the devices

These are a few that I remember at the moment 🙂 🙂 I like Bitdefender for these reasons

KTS is lighter on my system (RAM wise) I don't have any current benchmarks to show you but use whatever you like. Do a system backup before you change things up. That way if you don't like the product or feel you need to ditch KTS, easy peasy.

Sammo

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2012
KTS is lighter on my system (RAM wise) I don't have any current benchmarks to show you but use whatever you like. Do a system backup before you change things up. That way if you don't like the product or feel you need to ditch KTS, easy peasy.
Yes. And always use the uninstall tools from both KTS and BTS to make sure they're totally deleted.

AYIZEB

Level 2
Verified
Oct 18, 2016

One more example of why kaspersky is very good, but it would be very sad if one day real evidence of such an accusation came out, hopefully not.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021

One more example of why kaspersky is very good, but it would be very sad if one day real evidence of such an accusation came out, hopefully not.
Yes. Take the recent Magniber ransomware for example. This kind of ransomware has been in the wild for several days. But not all popular antivirus software vendors have developed a generic detection for it. Therefore, just a few vendors, according to VT, can detect this new variant of it.

Btw, according to other testers, Bitdefender's ATD and Norton's SONAR failed to stop the encryption process. I've been asking Bitdefender/Norton to create a generic detection for Magniber ransomware, but they just use Trojan.GenericKD.xxxx (BD)/Trojan.Gen.2 (Norton) to detect every variant of it, which is a pity.
12-5-2022_115231_www.virustotal.com.jpeg

Andrew3000

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 8, 2016
Yes. Take the recent Magniber ransomware for example. This kind of ransomware has been in the wild for several days. But not all popular antivirus software vendors have developed a generic detection for it. Therefore, just a few vendors, according to VT, can detect this new variant of it.

Btw, according to other testers, Bitdefender's ATD and Norton's SONAR failed to stop the encryption process. I've been asking Bitdefender/Norton to create a generic detection for Magniber ransomware, but they just use Trojan.GenericKD.xxxx (BD)/Trojan.Gen.2 (Norton) to detect every variant of it, which is a pity.

That's right, Kaspersky's anti-ransomware protection is among the best.
In the test I did, the PDM intervenes by blocking the ransomware.
Some files are encrypted, but the rollback returns the original files without any problems.
Encrypted files are not deleted, but left in their respective folders.
Conclusion: My files are safe.

G

Guilhermesene

Yes, that's what I said. Just passed this thought through my head, more as I said I have a subscription 2 KTS for 10 devices, it would be a waste not to use it, because I use the deny mode by default and it is the only one I can have this function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.