Fake Windows 10 updates infect you with Magniber ransomware

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Fake Windows 10 updates are being used to distribute the Magniber ransomware in a massive campaign that started earlier this month.

Over the past few days, BleepingComputer has received a surge of requests for help regarding a ransomware infection targeting users worldwide.

Chigwells

Level 4
Jan 16, 2012
Nasty suff! Not sure where they or how they get onboard? Windows upates from a non-MS source I guess?

"Unfortunately, this campaign primarily targets students and consumers rather than enterprise victims, causing the ransom demand to be too expensive for many victims."

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
I found this signed Magniber ransomware and its variants on VT several days ago. I tested one of them on VM and unfortunately Kaspersky failed to detect them and stop encryption process (only PDM:Exploit.Win32.Generic detection). I then submitted them to the Lab and they seemed to have added heuristic detection for this ransomware. Now Kaspersky is able to detect every variant of Magniber ransomware. (y)

Also this file is already detected by our internal bases:
HEUR:Trojan-Ransom.Win64.Magni.gen
Detection will be included in the next update.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Nasty suff! Not sure where they or how they get onboard? Windows upates from a non-MS source I guess?

"Unfortunately, this campaign primarily targets students and consumers rather than enterprise victims, causing the ransom demand to be too expensive for many victims."
Normal home users in any age with any social status that download even AVs from pirate sites is absolutely nothing new and sadly still today common. Non legit games and software with very well written and easy to understand installation instructions been around for a long long time, along with the best incentive of them all : Greed.

In this case people think and believe the source is safe. Easy and fast to download as with most the other " Free " content. :rolleyes::sleep:

X6WFEdVN_o.gif

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
unfortunately Kaspersky failed to detect them and stop encryption process
When this guy was initially dropped 3 days ago nothing blocked it, which is not surprising as the certificate was (and still is) valid:

Foresee Consulting Inc.
DigiCert Trusted G4 Code Signing RSA4096 SHA384 2021 CA1
DigiCert Trusted Root G4

In addition to the typical AV being oblivious, note that if Windows Defender was all that was on board one would need the excellent ConfigureDefender application by Pan Andrzeju set at Aggressive (which I guess shows the utility of Controlled Folder Access). Those relying on Sandbox applications are safe as the malware shuts down and deletes itself in the presence of Sandboxie and will be shunted off to its death initially by the file rating modules of CF.

Last edited:

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
When this guy was initially dropped 3 days ago nothing blocked it, which is not surprising as the certificate was (and still is) valid:

Foresee Consulting Inc.
DigiCert Trusted G4 Code Signing RSA4096 SHA384 2021 CA1
DigiCert Trusted Root G4

In addition to the typical AV being unaware, note that if Windows Defender was all that was on board one would need the excellent ConfigureDefender application by Pan Andrzeju- but the setting must be on Aggressive (which I guess shows the utility of Controlled Folder Access). Those relying on Sandbox applications are safe as the malware shuts down and deletes itself in the presence of Sandboxie and will be shunted off to its death initially by the file rating modules of CF.
When I found this sample on VT several days ago, there are actually some AVs detecting it, including ESET, and Avast. Avast detected it as DangerousSig [Trj] which shows Avast has blacklisted this certificate. ESET detected it as GenCBL (Generic Certificate Blacklist), which shows ESET also has blacklisted this certificate...

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
Wonder if our beloved WiseVector would have caught it. Did any AI-based AV engine detect it? @Anthony Qian
Yes :) , according to Shake2333's test (on another Chinese forum).

He tested F-Secure and WV. He said F-Secure's AMSI blocked but files were encrypted. WV's scanner detected it and can also block process and restore all encrypted files after execution.

1-5-2022_2219_bbs.kafan.cn.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.