Status
Not open for further replies.

generalwu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
@yesnoo Chrome OS is not similar with Android OS, it's a customise linux system that only runs chrome browser and its apps.

@Inkurax Hmm... it's true that I have a few extensions installed that might be affecting the speed (Being humble. :p)
But on my Chromebook, opening youtube and gmail requires to wait for quite some time compared to a regular desktop (minus the fact that my Chromebook specs are quite low).

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Like I said I do have a chrome book with decent specs just not running the stock os and instead Linux. Since its only for casual browsing and youtube and twitch open box tint combo for any distribution will do but has to be built from ground up. It is just slightly faster than my Asus netbook so to speak

Reactions: kev216

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I do not use Chromebook (Chrome OS), but do use Android OS on various devices. I'm looking forward to use Remix OS 2.0 in the near future.

Is Chrome OS similar to Android OS?
No. Chrome OS is similar to the likes of Google Chrome browser. Android OS runs on a mobile platform, but I hear Google may be planning to merge or bring integration to Chrome OS from Android.
Keep an eye on Remix OS 2.0 for Desktop, it's what Chrome OS should have been and based on Android-x86.

D

Deleted member 2913

Keep an eye on Remix OS 2.0 for Desktop, it's what Chrome OS should have been and based on Android-x86.
I tired the latest beta Remix but didn't worked.
USB run - Stuck on the screen choose language & didn't proceed further.
HDD Install - Stuck on the screen choose language & didn't proceed further

I tried 64Bits package on my 64 Bits Win 10 laptop.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I apparently am the only one that uses a chromebook for small things school related. (I use other computers for various tasks, (Malware testing, etc.))
#THUGLIFE

generalwu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
@Inkurax Understood. That being said I was thinking to upgrade my Chromebook to a higher spec one to handle javascripts on websites. I found that my current Chromebook does not handle it as well. Or perhaps I'm spoiled with a powerful desktop. :p

@yesnoo You not going to do a VM for the remix OS? Could be easier to setup.

@J Gamez065 What do you mean by small things school related? General browsing, FB, twitter?
I use my Chromebook in office along with my work desktop. :p

Reactions: DJ Panda and milas

milas

Level 2
Verified
Mar 1, 2016
No I haven't a Chromebook..is it true you don't need AntiVirus protection?

generalwu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
@milas Hi, yes it's true that you do not need to install any security program on it.
It's basically running a Google modified Linux OS. Putting your trust on the big Google. :cool:

Reactions: milas

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
@Inkurax Understood. That being said I was thinking to upgrade my Chromebook to a higher spec one to handle javascripts on websites. I found that my current Chromebook does not handle it as well. Or perhaps I'm spoiled with a powerful desktop. :p

@yesnoo You not going to do a VM for the remix OS? Could be easier to setup.

@J Gamez065 What do you mean by small things school related? General browsing, FB, twitter?
I use my Chromebook in office along with my work desktop. :p

Yeah just browsing and whatnot.

milas

Level 2
Verified
Mar 1, 2016
@milas Hi, yes it's true that you do not need to install any security program on it.
It's basically running a Google modified Linux OS. Putting your trust on the big Google. :cool:

Thank you! That explains things. Rather nice to run a modified Linux and not worry..

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@generalwu: Yes but too way exaggerated on terms of conditions.

For Chromebook, the price sometimes little hefty (AFAIK) because its certain features are purely on the cloud.

generalwu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
@yesnoo Ooh, I see. I have no experiences with it so I can't help you much. :confused:
But if you do get it working could you share with us? Thanks. :D

@J Gamez065 Haha, that makes us buddy since we do the same things with Chromebook. :p

@jamescv7 Hmm, regarding price point, I think it's still quite affordable.
If I were to do a comparison between a Windows low end laptop vs a Chromebook I think I will still pick Chromebook.
If I'm not wrong the performance of a laptop like HP Stream is still not a good general usage experience.
Correct me if I'm wrong. :D

Tinm

Level 3
Verified
Oct 23, 2013
What you save on your note book, you have to pay it for the internet. May things in the Chromebook don't work without internet.

D

Deleted member 2913

@yesnoo Ooh, I see. I have no experiences with it so I can't help you much. :confused:
But if you do get it working could you share with us? Thanks. :D
I tried the latest build couple times with the same results.

I will try next beta & update here.

generalwu

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
@Tinm You're correct. But that is compensated with a lower price point for each chrome device. So it's balanced out. There's offline app for times without internet too.

@yesnoo Cool thanks alot. :cool:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@generalwu: Of course in a low end laptop/netbook of Windows then Chromebook as an edge, but for HP Stream likely a decent setup performance especially its been incorporate with SSD. Good for productivity task. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.