Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
After formatting my USB drive it now runs into some issues. It would read at first when you plug it in, but within 10 seconds it would disappear from my computer. Under device manager it shows up as Unknown USB device (Set Address Failed).

Within it, it says

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

The USB set address request failed."

When looking at Event Viewer, it shows "Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0004\5&1b9aaa77&0&14 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match."
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
I've tried to plug it in and immediately format it but it always disconnects itself before I can complete it. Once it changes itself to unknown device I am unable to format it because it doesn't even show up under "this pc"
After formatting my USB drive it now runs into some issues. It would read at first when you plug it in, but within 10 seconds it would disappear from my computer. Under device manager it shows up as Unknown USB device (Set Address Failed).

Within it, it says
"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

The USB set address request failed."

When looking at Event Viewer, it shows "Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0004\5&1b9aaa77&0&14 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match."

I've tried to plug it in and immediately format it but it always disconnects itself before I can complete it. Once it changes itself to unknown device I am unable to format it because it doesn't even show up under "this pc"

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I had good luck when having problems with am USB flash drive with a reformat using the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool:

Upvote 0

AriDfoix

Level 3
Verified
Sep 2, 2018
Sometime I experienced a solution using USB Oblivion, USB Oblivion

Other times I just had better success using a Linux distro and gparted, other times MiniToolPartitionWizard or HDDLLF

But if the problem is the chip memory, this won't help.

but within 10 seconds it would disappear from my computer. Under device manager it shows up as Unknown USB device (Set Address Failed).
Would you mind trying usboblivion Sir? That problem is really similar to what I have experienced in the past, and probably releated

to a bad registry key into Windows, if it is recognized on Linux you should try this approach. Regards.

Upvote 0

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
If it is not a hardware problem, then the usb driver wasn't installed successfully. Try uninstalling the problematic device's driver from the device manager.

If you ask me, I would boot into some Linux distro and see what's going on from within Linux Live OS.

Upvote 0

Atlas147

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I had good luck when having problems with am USB flash drive with a reformat using the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool:

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately I am unable to even see the device on my computer when going to "this pc", so it doesn't actually show up on this format tool. :(

Upvote 0

Atlas147

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Is it possible to connect the drive to another PC? In most cases, usb memory becomes unusable without warning. If the memory has been used for a long time, it may be the end of its life.

Yeah actually I was thinking of this, might try to plug it into one of my friend's computer and see how it reacts

Upvote 0

Atlas147

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Sometime I experienced a solution using USB Oblivion, USB Oblivion

Other times I just had better success using a Linux distro and gparted, other times MiniToolPartitionWizard or HDDLLF

But if the problem is the chip memory, this won't help.

Would you mind trying usboblivion Sir? That problem is really similar to what I have experienced in the past, and probably releated

to a bad registry key into Windows, if it is recognized on Linux you should try this approach. Regards.

Thank you for the program! I've actually tried it but to no avail, the problem still persists

Upvote 0

Atlas147

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Upvote 0

Atlas147

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
If it is not a hardware problem, then the usb driver wasn't installed successfully. Try uninstalling the problematic device's driver from the device manager.

If you ask me, I would boot into some Linux distro and see what's going on from within Linux Live OS.

When I open device manager the only device I see is the unknown USB which I uninstall, plug out and plug back in my USB only to have it appear as unknown USB again. It does appear as USB mass storage device for 10 seconds or so but changes to unknown USB after that.

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
When I open device manager the only device I see is the unknown USB which I uninstall, plug out and plug back in my USB only to have it appear as unknown USB again. It does appear as USB mass storage device for 10 seconds or so but changes to unknown USB after that.
And what's going on when you boot into Safe Mode with Networking or GParted Live?

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.