Battle Use Edge as Default PDF viewer, or Chrome/FF?

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What I want to Compare?
PDF-capabilities built into popular web browsers;
  • Microsoft Edge (Fall Creators Update)
  • Google Chrome
  • Mozilla Firefox
Why I want to Compare?

I read this article that touts Edge in the latest Fall Creators Update, as the better browser to use for viewing PDF files.
We already know that Edge/FF/Chrome do not compete with full-fledged PDF editors, but for basic viewing, printing and light notes, is Edge the optimal choice?

PS: Not interested in dedicated / standalone / portable PDF Readers/Editors (free/paid), think before you post. Browser-only.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
In fact, Windows PDF Reader (Store App) has been discontinued (this month) with focus put on to using Edge instead.

What kind of functionality does Opera provide for PDF files?
I keep using the Windows 8.1 pdf reader normally here, with no problem. About the Opera reader, it's basically the same as Chrome, but with better performance, Opera has always been the best in performance and speed on my machine, so my preference is to use it to open the PDF, and speaking of it, it's the only one that I know can save any page of the internet in pdf.

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
I started with Foxit Reader due to it's minimalism. That became bloated. I then started using PDF XChange and I quite liked v6. Then they introduced the hideous ribbon interface with v7 so I then tried Edge (didn't like) and I used the Adobe "modern app" from the Windows Store. I didn't like either of those (Adobe didn't show PDF previews in Explorer and didn't remember locations after closing the PDF).

I've just installed Sumatra and liked it so much that it is now my new PDF viewer and I have uninstalled PDF XChange. The minimalist interface is great and PDF thumbnails work in Explorer and locations are remembered.

Aren't browser PDF viewer more secure by design?

With AppContainer it is supposed to be. The best protection is to use a PDF viewing soft that malc0ders do not target.

If all you're doing is occasional, basic PDF viewing from trustworthy sources then using a browser to view PDFs is sufficiently secure. The issue that I have seen is that Edge, Chrome and Firefox vary in their 'scrollability, scalability, and other cosmetics.' And those break with updates.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.