User of the month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
It would be definitly nice if some kind of "User of the month" system could be implemented, so we could, every month, vote on a pre-made-by-staff list or so, and choose the MalwareTips user that helped out the most, or did the best as to deserve it.

I think this could incentivate people into helping, sharing articles and participating more on the forums, than just posting when they have a problem. (aka registering, posting problems, fixing it and leaving)

You could even give the winner a "User of the month" title that'd replace Well-Known Member, for example.

It's just an idea, and as well it can be debated. I search onto the forums to check if something like this was already suggested, but couldn't find.

N

Noxx

I'm with you Morvoton on implementing features that encourages members to contribute more and spark conversation. I'm just not so sure that this one in particular would do that. It just becomes monthly e-peen battle royale. My two cents, for what it's worth.

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
I'm with you Morvoton on implementing features that encourages members to contribute more and spark conversation. I'm just not so sure that this one in particular would do that. It just becomes monthly e-peen battle royale. My two cents, for what it's worth.
I do understand your point, and that's why i posted it. I have a raw idea, maybe we as a community can improve or use as a base for creating even better ideas! ;)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Likes really have no bearing on a members dedication to the forum they are just a way to thank or agree with a members post rather than actually posting "Thanks" or "I agree". If it were a gauge of a members status on the forum then something is wrong because @TwinHeadedEagle should have a 100,000 likes.

As for the "Well Known Member" title this is part of the user title ladder built into the XenForo platform based on the trophy system points.

The "Trusted Member" title was implemented so that we as staff could recommend the users we feel do just what your suggestion is about which is helping other members,dedication to the site and it's members as well as one who sets an example for all members(staff included).

As others have stated I think this might create tension and problems among members.Who gets nominated? Who votes?

Trusted Member status although not awarded monthly holds more meaning and status within the community and staff members.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

D

Deleted member 178

Likes really have no bearing on a members dedication to the forum they are just a way to thank or agree with a members post rather than actually posting "Thanks" or "I agree". If it were a gauge of a members status on the forum then something is wrong because @TwinHeadedEagle should have a 100,000 likes.

As for the "Well Known Member" title this is part of the user title ladder built into the XenForo platform based on the trophy system points.

The "Trusted Member" title was implemented so that we as staff could recommend the users we feel do just what your suggestion is about which is helping other members,dedication to the site and it's members as well as one who sets an example for all members(staff included).

As others have stated I think this might create tension and problems among members.Who gets nominated? Who votes?

Trusted Member status although not awarded monthly holds more meaning and status within the community and staff members.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

All the systems in place works well enough , the only one that is rusted is the one promoting to super-mods (follow my eyes ^^ ) :p

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In my opinion, its better to leave as a full surprise; because having entitled like 'User of the Month' will just undergo on such competition which breaks the full essence of learning, helping and other forms of positive outlook.

Let's make that as a member of this community, act the way you are as long the rules are followed.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
In my opinion, its better to leave as a full surprise; because having entitled like 'User of the Month' will just undergo on such competition which breaks the full essence of learning, helping and other forms of positive outlook.

Let's make that as a member of this community, act the way you are as long the rules are followed.
I agree with you. When I first read about this idea, I found it very good because it would give the members who are nominated/win this prize, a comfirmation that they post great content and are very helpful on the forum. So thinking about the main idea behind this, it's a great proposition you made there @Morvotron.

However I agree with the staff and other members that this can lead to unnecessary competition between members or that it can, in the worst case of course, lead to enviousness between members. And I agree with @jamescv7 that because of this, the essence what the forum is about can be a bit forgotten. Of course this is in the worst case, like I said. Also some members can be doing much work for getting the title and after that, they don't contribute anymore in the same way, which is again negative for the forum then.
And I think that even to extend this, a title of trusted member, give you more confidence and gratitude because of your contribution to the forums during your whole membership and not just for a month. It gives you the appreciation of your hard work for quite a long time and I think this has more value than being member of the month. (And just to add, I don't say this because I'm a trusted member myself, before some people would think that)

Like I said it's a great idea because of letting certain great members know that they are doing their best on the forum, that it's really appreciated and that they should keep up their great and examplary contribution, but it also has some negative side-effects.
I think the trusted member status you can get after a long time of great contribution, is the happy medium in all this and beause of that, this might be unnecessary to choose a member of the month.

But @Morvotron did I already said it's great that you make such suggestions? ;)

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
I agree with you. When I first read about this idea, I found it very good because it would give the members who are nominated/win this prize, a comfirmation that they post great content and are very helpful on the forum. So thinking about the main idea behind this, it's a great proposition you made there @Morvotron.

However I agree with the staff and other members that this can lead to unnecessary competition between members or that it can, in the worst case of course, lead to enviousness between members. And I agree with @jamescv7 that because of this, the essence what the forum is about can be a bit forgotten. Of course this is in the worst case, like I said. Also some members can be doing much work for getting the title and after that, they don't contribute anymore in the same way, which is again negative for the forum then.
And I think that even to extend this, a title of trusted member, give you more confidence and gratitude because of your contribution to the forums during your whole membership and not just for a month. It gives you the appreciation of your hard work for quite a long time and I think this has more value than being member of the month. (And just to add, I don't say this because I'm a trusted member myself, before some people would think that)

Like I said it's a great idea because of letting certain great members know that they are doing their best on the forum, that it's really appreciated and that they should keep up their great and examplary contribution, but it also has some negative side-effects.
I think the trusted member status you can get after a long time of great contribution, is the happy medium in all this and beause of that, this might be unnecessary to choose a member of the month.

But @Morvotron did I already said it's great that you make such suggestions? ;)
Thanks for the feedback, and thanks everyone that shared his opinion. It seems it's not such a great idea as I thought it could be, but hopefully, we can start creating ideas such as this that can motivate people to contribute more. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.