Advice Request Using Dedicated Anti-Ransomware Software

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which (If any) of these Anti-Ransomware software are you Currently using?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Using Dedicated Anti-Ransomware Software:

Are you currently using a dedicated Anti-Ransomware software?..such as-

If you do not currently use a dedicated Anti-Ransomware software was this because you consider your system already protected from ransomware by other software?
If you have used any of these (or other) Anti-Ransomware software in the past (but not currently) what was your opinion of them?

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
I did use Cryptoprevent in the past , but it whas the root cause for the malfunctioning of voodooshield , so I reproted the issue to Dan the VS develloper. that is the reason for ditching Cryptoprevent. I do use zal antilogger premium , which provides excellent protection against ransomware. no need for tweaking the system with one of these other tools you mentioned above :D

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Kaspersky.PNG I love this program, no pop ups no nags and is very effective, trust me on that.

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
In the past I have used-
Bitdefender Anti-Ransomware - but It increased my boot-time significantly.
Cryptomonitor- prior to the dev leading the malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware project.
Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware BETA- I was very disappointed with this Beta,as IMO it should have been classed as Alpha software.It automatically quarantined numerous safe objects and did not allow the user to decide whether they wanted this to happen.It was not made easy to then "allow" those that were wrongly quarantined.
I feel that the initial Beta-testing should have given user prompts to ask if things should be allowed or quarantined until a large exceptions list was created.

I would probably consider using WinAntiRansom if it was free.. and I am following the progress of SBGuard with interest.
I do feel however that my existing software already protects me from ransomware.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Emsisoft Internet Security did a great job so far, also, I backup my files on a regular basis to two eHDDs.
So I fully rely on that. Cannot tell about HMP.A, which is always shut down when performing malware tests (to only see Emsisoft's capabilities).
Scanning systems on a regular basis by HMP as well as ZAM / ZAL.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Great post Logethica :)
I employ WAR (Lifetime) and SBGuard (Free) as my sig implies. They are a big part of my "Signature-less"
approach to protection. And with a lifetime license and the other being free, its not a recurring investment for me ;)

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
If a user employs Default-Deny, then anti-ransomware isn't needed.

That is when security become annoying.;) But to each man his own.:D
I am one of those guys that goes anywhere at any time in real life, may be aging now but incident free.
Same thing applies to my pc, and have never been infected. I love my stuff to flow freely but at the same time well guarded and prepared for the worst.

Last edited:

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Thanks for the poll :)

I do not think that a dedicated Anti-Ransomware software is necessary if you well use your other security tools, and have a safe behavior.
But it could be useful for a certain category of users :)

Y

yigido

If a user employs Default-Deny, then anti-ransomware isn't needed.
No one likes your word friend :D Even security vendors (%90 of them)
They deny the default-deny's success. :D If they implement this feature, as you said there is no need for additional components or softwares.
So they won't sell anything. This anti-ransomware softwares are another part of marketing for them. To make money.. ;)

I also agreed to @hjlbx , maybe he has the closest (maybe same) thinking to my mind against threats.
He loves default-deny, too.

Guys please "Love the default-deny" then you will see and feel the real security!

H

hjlbx

No one likes your word friend :D Even security vendors (%90 of them)
They deny the default-deny's success. :D If they implement this feature, as you said there is no need for additional components or softwares.
So they won't sell anything. This anti-ransomware softwares are another part of marketing for them. To make money.. ;)

I also agreed to @hjlbx , maybe he has the closest (maybe same) thinking to my mind against threats.
He loves default-deny, too.

Guys please "Love the default-deny" then you will see and feel the real security!

Actually, the argument is that Default-Deny is an inconvenience and annoyance. In reality, after years of testing this and that, Default-Deny using software restriction policies has caused me essentially no problems, no annoyances and 1st-rate physical system security with almost no system overhead.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I love this program, no pop ups no nags and is very effective, trust me on that.
I aswell would use Kaspersky Anti-Ransom, but since it is not compatible with Avast, I cannot use it. :(

Most are currently free to use. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.