Advice Request Using Malwarebytes Premium with ESET Smart Security?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Today while I was going through the contents of my old HDD, I stumbled across my lifetime license of Malwarebytes Pro(it was called Pro during the 1.75 version). I have long abandoned Malwarebytes Premium since version 2 but anyways I decided to give the latest version a try. Surprisingly it accepted my pro serial. I am already running ESET IS. So what are your opinions about running MBAM Premium alongwith ESET IS? Should I keep the premium or should I use it just as an on-demand scanner?

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Malwarebytes Premium has a excelent web protection and PUP detection, so it can be a valuable addition to many setups, but the "problem" is that ESET outperfoms MBAM in those fields, so you dont need to use both.

I use ESET and have a lifetime license of Malwarebytes, but I dont see the reason to use both together, ESET is simple more powerful.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
@devjit2018 I say ESET would be more powerful. You could keep Malwarebytes as a non-real time anti malware software installed on your machine (much like I have done in my setup). ESET is nice and light weight compared to Malwarebytes that eats up too many resources at times.

I fully agree with @Nightwalker ! I'd make ESET my main defense (in this case) and just turn off real time with Malwarebytes if you feel like you want to keep Malwarebytes as a on-demand as needed scanner.

~Brian

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
@Svoll I feel like ever since v1 MBAM has been having a hard time figuring out who they are and what in the world they want to do. haha

Never the less, they still have some good stuff going for them. I just wish they went back to the o' days of just plain good old security! MBAM use to be top king back in the day. Is MBAM bad? - NA' Could it be a lot better!? Yup!!

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks the same as you @Svoll !

~Brian

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
In my opinion, it is a waste of resources to use the MBAM in real time.
I don't think ESET IS misses anything important that can be detected by MBAM. :giggle:

@bribon77 - couldn't agree more. I learned the hard way a while back, but now that I have more RAM its a eh moment for me. However, even now I still don't use it in real time.

1547408418145.png

~Brian

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you need Malwarebytes Premium with ESET Internet Security then run both, otherwise don't. If you are to compare the features of version 1.75 to 3.6, then you'll see they are 2 very different products (then vs now).

Old name was Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
New name is Malwarebytes for Windows

References:
Malwarebytes Support - Home Products Lifecycle Policy

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
I'm sticking with ESET IS for real-time protection. The added resource consumption of MBAM is noticeable specially during execution of programs. MBAM also seems to spike CPU usage. Thanks everyone for your valuable feedback :notworthy:

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
It should be fine, but i've noticed several times before that ESET is the type of product that does not like to mingle with other security products, creating slowdowns and hanging the system. A better alternative would be to use either ESET or MB with Adguard.

I've also noted several times that Adguard Browsing security when turned on, very often uses a lot of resources. So, with Eset or MB installed, turn it off and use only the adblocking features.

You can setup MB on low priority for improve performance and multitasking in its settings. And don't forget that ESET and MB are very good at blocking Pups and are very agressive against them .Detection Pop ups can become a nightmare when mixing these two products together.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
It should be fine, but i've noticed several times before that ESET is the type of product that does not like to mingle with other security products, creating slowdowns and hanging the system. A better alternative would be to use either ESET or MB with Adguard.

I've also noted several times that Adguard Browsing security when turned on, very often uses a lot of resources. So, with Eset or MB installed, turn it off and use only the adblocking features.

You can setup MB on low priority for improve performance and multitasking in its settings. And don't forget that ESET and MB are very good at blocking Pups and are very agressive against them .Detection Pop ups can become a nightmare when mixing these two products together.
I'm not using MBAM for real-time protection. I have kept it just for on demand scans.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.