Acronis True Image 2018 with Active Protection

valvaris

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
Hello to all,

have changed allot on security and went with bare essentials.

Goal is to have as much resources as possible but see what is going on...

For Windows Firewall I use GlassWire Elite version like this it is possible to use something build in and expand functionality. Why I do not use Binisoft's WFC?! To be honest I used it and like it but one thing I do not like is I can not see how when and what is connecting... I know it does but in a way that is not as comfy as GlassWire is doing it plus VirusTotal integration. ;)

HitmanPro is a matter of choice for me, since Zemana ditched information about road-map and what it would hold out to do in future...

Browser of choice is Chrome -> container mode + site isolation mode + incognito mode

In the hardware side FritzBox 7490 Router with Standard Internet Filter and no open Ports. DNS Settings are edited with Norton Connection Safe. (Level B)

NAS Synology to offload OneDrive Sync. from my PC.

---------------- The Future on this config...

Since I was lucky to get a super cheap offer on Windows 10 Ent. features - I am looking forward on the future of Microsoft Edge and Windows Defender Application Guard. Like this chrome will be uninstalled and replaced with Microsoft Edge and WDAG.

---------------------------------------------------------------- Update 08.04.2018

Got my Hands on Windows 10 1803 Ent. and reinstalled my System.

and now the config. changed -> Chrome is gone!

Microsoft Edge is my Primary Browser / uBlock / Bitwareden + Windows Defender Application Guard and Site-Whitelisting. This means all unknown Domains will be forced in to a Hyper-V container under a seperate Microsoft Edge closed instance… :D

Microsoft did a great Job there since the launch of Application Guard is allot faster then before.

------------------------------------------------------------------ Mini Update 09.04.2018

Another Thing with Edge is to start it up with InPrivate-Mode and found a easy way to do so.

Create Shortcut with Path set to:
cmd.exe /c start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge -private

To Change the Symbol to the Edge one:
%SystemRoot%\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe

And done you can start Edge in True InPrivate mode.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------Major Update 17.04.2018

I have followed the advise of -> harlan4096 <- and got myself Acronis TrueImage 2018 that comes with Acronis Active Protection. The part that I like most is convert to VM-Image and the ease of use.

Thank you for reading. :D Feedback is always welcome like this I can learn to make setups more efficient and consider things that I did not think about... ;)

Best regards
Val.

Last edited:

Malware Person

Level 4
Verified
Jun 8, 2016
Nice config! I don't see any big issues. I would recommend switching your antivirus for another one, like avast free because windows defender isn't that good (though it did well on recent tests). However, that's completely up to you. Windows defender is good enough as long as you have common sense on the internet and follow good security habits.

Thanks for sharing!

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Done!

A 3rd party Image System Backup solution, would be interesting: Macrium Refelct or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliable :)

Thanks for thanks for sharing :)

Reactions: valvaris

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.