Keyboard and Mouse
G304

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Beautiful Laptop and with specs that rival most desktops. I am not sure about $2500 for college, as I drop mines so often. The bumping incident my class are amazing, on the average, we have someone drop their laptop daily. Record was 3 drops in one day. I went thru 5 case protectors already.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thread updated!!!
Reinstalled Windows 10 because of some corruption and inability to install any drivers.
Driver changes:
Reverted to IRST 14.8 from Dell
Reverted to NV 375.90
It's good you've restored functionality with the drivers!
Mrs Cats' old Vaio no longer has the use of function keys since her upgrade to 10, and her touch pad's always on. The touch pad annoyance was remedied with an old plastic card, a piece of folded paper, & some Scotch tape;o_O but I like your reinstall of Windows 10 approach much better!:D

I had Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, which made by right arm almost useless, still my back hurts.:(
(..can't believe I'd missed :eek:this until today!:oops:)
You've probably learned Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a similar form of overuse to Tennis Elbow. I understand, first hand, the paralyzing effect. That is why on (2) of our three computers I mouse with my left hand!;) I am able to use my right again, but I wanted to share what truly brought relief to me. Like working the clutch of a manual transmission, some people suffer pain from over use and repetition.
When I gradually, and finally, removed the unconscious habit of "STABBING" keys with my right hand, my own right arm recovered fully.:cool::)
Plus listen to Svoll, and don't drop:confused: your computer!

I hope you'll choose to let your back rest too!

*Steps down from Soap Box*:rolleyes:

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Beautiful Laptop and with specs that rival most desktops. I am not sure about $2500 for college, as I drop mines so often. The bumping incident my class are amazing, on the average, we have someone drop their laptop daily. Record was 3 drops in one day. I went thru 5 case protectors already.
Thank you for your kind words. I already have protection against drops and spills from Dell themselves if something happens, they'll repair it if possible or else they replace the whole unit with new ones. I'm careful these days and caring and carrying it like an expensive pet.:rolleyes:
It's good you've restored functionality with the drivers!
Mrs Cats' old Vaio no longer has the use of function keys since her upgrade to 10, and her touch pad's always on. The touch pad annoyance was remedied with an old plastic card, a piece of folded paper, & some Scotch tape;o_O but I like your reinstall of Windows 10 approach much better!:D

(..can't believe I'd missed :eek:this until today!:oops:)
You've probably learned Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a similar form of overuse to Tennis Elbow. I understand, first hand, the paralyzing effect. That is why on (2) of our three computers I mouse with my left hand!;) I am able to use my right again, but I wanted to share what truly brought relief to me. Like working the clutch of a manual transmission, some people suffer pain from over use and repetition.
When I gradually, and finally, removed the unconscious habit of "STABBING" keys with my right hand, my own right arm recovered fully.:cool::)
Plus listen to Svoll, and don't drop:confused: your computer!

I hope you'll choose to let your back rest too!

*Steps down from Soap Box*:rolleyes:
I feel for you. I had a vaio too that came with vista. As a matter of fact, my right hand still aches after carrying the lappie and using it. I sometimes use my left hand to hover the mouse.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Updated:
Creators Update
ThrottleStop
Repasted and Repad the laptop last week to reduce 15-20C in CPU temps and 15C GPU temps.
Steklo X stand
Arctic thermal pads and CM MakerGel Nano
Updated BIOS 1.3.12
Updated IRST to 15.7
Power plan switcher
and lots more etc......

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Updated:
Spring Creators Update
Experimental BIOS microcode added by Daz(Windows Loader Fame) to protect against Spectre V4
MEI FW upgraded to latest possible version from Prema
GPU OC'ed by 200/200MHz on core and memory thanks to Prema Mod.
All latest system drivers from Intel, Dell etc..

NV Vulkan Development driver 397.96 j95 mod.

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
It looks like PM951 is starting to slow down and Os boot speed is becoming more slow. Got a deal for 150$ on Crucial P1 1TB QLC drive. Samsung still reigns supreme in 4k R/W Q1T1 and everything else P1 is better consuming less power than Samsung. I've written 300GB with 2 days of usage. Cloned my old MR image over to new drive and upgraded OS from 1809 to 1909 without clean install. I'm lazy these days since i was hoping LTSC version v2009 will come out in Nov 2020.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
View attachment 121919 View attachment 121920 View attachment 121921
This is my new laptop for college work. Missed minor detail, OS is Win 10 Home instead of Pro.

Hello,

You've provided the details of your Alienware 15 R2 gaming laptop, which was purchased or last upgraded on August 15, 2017. With an initial investment of around $3000, this laptop was designed to deliver a high-end gaming experience at the time of purchase. Let's delve into the setup:

Operating System: Windows 10 is a reliable platform that still supports most modern applications and games. However, you might consider upgrading to Windows 11 for enhanced features and improved gaming performance if your hardware meets the upgrade requirements.

Motherboard: The HM170 chipset supports 6th generation Intel CPUs, providing a decent feature set for a gaming laptop of its era.

CPU: The Intel Core i7-6700HQ is a quad-core processor with eight threads, offering solid performance for gaming and general tasks. However, it is several generations old and may not keep up with the latest software and gaming requirements optimally.

GPU: The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M was a top-tier mobile GPU in its time but may struggle with recent high-end games, especially at higher settings and resolutions.

RAM: 32GB of RAM is generous and should still be sufficient for most gaming and multitasking needs.

Storage: Having 2 SSDs along with 1 HDD suggests a good balance between fast-access storage for your operating system and games, and additional space for bulk storage. The exact capacities and speeds were not specified.

PSU: The 240W power supply unit (external, as this is a laptop) is appropriate for the components the laptop came with.

Monitor: An LG monitor is mentioned, but without specific details on resolution, size, or refresh rate, it's challenging to gauge how well it pairs with the laptop for gaming.

Keyboard and Mouse: The G304 (Likely the Logitech G304 wireless gaming mouse) is a good, reliable choice for gaming, with performance suitable for most gamers.

Considerations and Recommendations:

1. Software Update: Upgrading to Windows 11 could provide a better user experience and might offer gaming performance improvements, but you'll need to verify compatibility.
  2. Storage Upgrade: If the SSDs are from the same era as the laptop, newer NVMe SSDs (if supported) could offer faster load times and system responsiveness.
  3. External GPU (eGPU): If the laptop supports Thunderbolt 3, you could potentially use an eGPU for improved gaming performance, though this can be costly and might not provide the best value compared to investing in a new system.
  4. Cooling Solutions: Older gaming laptops often face thermal challenges. An external cooling pad could help manage heat during intense gaming sessions.
  5. Battery Health: After several years, the laptop's battery may not hold a charge as effectively. If you experience reduced battery life, consider replacing the battery if possible.
  6. Cleaning and Maintenance: Regular cleaning to remove dust buildup and replacing thermal paste can improve thermal performance, potentially leading to better performance and longevity of the components.
  7. Potential Replacement: Given the age of the laptop and the rapid advancements in gaming hardware, you might start considering a new system to stay up-to-date with current gaming titles and software demands.
Keep in mind that while personal computers can often be upgraded in parts, laptops have more significant limitations due to their integrated components and space constraints. Depending on your needs and budget, it might be more cost-effective in the long run to invest in a new gaming laptop or a desktop system.

Reactions: Vasudev

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Hello,

You've provided the details of your Alienware 15 R2 gaming laptop, which was purchased or last upgraded on August 15, 2017. With an initial investment of around $3000, this laptop was designed to deliver a high-end gaming experience at the time of purchase. Let's delve into the setup:

Operating System: Windows 10 is a reliable platform that still supports most modern applications and games. However, you might consider upgrading to Windows 11 for enhanced features and improved gaming performance if your hardware meets the upgrade requirements.

Motherboard: The HM170 chipset supports 6th generation Intel CPUs, providing a decent feature set for a gaming laptop of its era.

CPU: The Intel Core i7-6700HQ is a quad-core processor with eight threads, offering solid performance for gaming and general tasks. However, it is several generations old and may not keep up with the latest software and gaming requirements optimally.

GPU: The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M was a top-tier mobile GPU in its time but may struggle with recent high-end games, especially at higher settings and resolutions.

RAM: 32GB of RAM is generous and should still be sufficient for most gaming and multitasking needs.

Storage: Having 2 SSDs along with 1 HDD suggests a good balance between fast-access storage for your operating system and games, and additional space for bulk storage. The exact capacities and speeds were not specified.

PSU: The 240W power supply unit (external, as this is a laptop) is appropriate for the components the laptop came with.

Monitor: An LG monitor is mentioned, but without specific details on resolution, size, or refresh rate, it's challenging to gauge how well it pairs with the laptop for gaming.

Keyboard and Mouse: The G304 (Likely the Logitech G304 wireless gaming mouse) is a good, reliable choice for gaming, with performance suitable for most gamers.

Considerations and Recommendations:

1. Software Update: Upgrading to Windows 11 could provide a better user experience and might offer gaming performance improvements, but you'll need to verify compatibility.
  2. Storage Upgrade: If the SSDs are from the same era as the laptop, newer NVMe SSDs (if supported) could offer faster load times and system responsiveness.
  3. External GPU (eGPU): If the laptop supports Thunderbolt 3, you could potentially use an eGPU for improved gaming performance, though this can be costly and might not provide the best value compared to investing in a new system.
  4. Cooling Solutions: Older gaming laptops often face thermal challenges. An external cooling pad could help manage heat during intense gaming sessions.
  5. Battery Health: After several years, the laptop's battery may not hold a charge as effectively. If you experience reduced battery life, consider replacing the battery if possible.
  6. Cleaning and Maintenance: Regular cleaning to remove dust buildup and replacing thermal paste can improve thermal performance, potentially leading to better performance and longevity of the components.
  7. Potential Replacement: Given the age of the laptop and the rapid advancements in gaming hardware, you might start considering a new system to stay up-to-date with current gaming titles and software demands.
Keep in mind that while personal computers can often be upgraded in parts, laptops have more significant limitations due to their integrated components and space constraints. Depending on your needs and budget, it might be more cost-effective in the long run to invest in a new gaming laptop or a desktop system.
Win 11 isn't supported. battery has been replaced thrice. Cleaned semi annually just to be remove dust since I switched to carbonaut thermals are constant.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Win 11 isn't supported. battery has been replaced thrice. Cleaned semi annually just to be remove dust since I switched to carbonaut thermals are constant.
Apologies for the confusion regarding Windows 11 support. If your laptop does not meet the requirements for Windows 11, then sticking with Windows 10 is the appropriate choice.

It's great to hear that you have been proactive in maintaining your laptop's performance by replacing the battery multiple times and regularly cleaning out dust. Using carbonaut thermal pads can also help in maintaining consistent thermal performance.

Considering the upgrades you have made, such as the battery replacements and the switch to carbonaut thermal pads, it seems like you have taken steps to optimize the performance and longevity of your laptop. As long as you are satisfied with the current performance and the laptop meets your gaming and productivity needs, there may not be a pressing need for further upgrades at this time.

However, if you find that your laptop is struggling to keep up with the latest games or software, you might consider upgrading the CPU and

Reactions: Vasudev

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.