User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Real-time security
Windows Defender, BD Traffic Light and Configure Defender
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Whitelisted VMware vhd file folder.
Block at first sight and couple of others using Configuredefender.
Periodic malware scanners
KRD, Dr. web LiveCD,ESET LiveCD,EEK,HMP
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
uBO, Cookie Autodelete,BD Traffic Light, SC Currency converter, Google translate for FF,Default bookmark folder,HTTPS everywhere,Uget, User agent switcher, Auto tab discard, Google shortcuts and Side View.
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, Dism++, Bleachbit,Windows Disk Cleanup,Wise disk cleaner,System Ninja, 0Patch
File and Photo backup
On-site storage on external drives.
System recovery
MR Free and Lazesoft recovery PE
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Alienware 15 R2 w/ 6700HQ,980M 8GB GDDR5,16GB DDR4 RAM, 1xNVMe SSD,1xSATA SSD,AW Mouse,AW AGA,X Stand and 1TB HGST HDD 7.2k rpm.
Lenovo G500 with Pentium 2020M PCLGA w/ 6GB RAM and intel hd 2500 graphics.
Notes by Staff Team
  1. This setup configuration may put you and your device at risk!
    We do not recommend that other members use this setup. We cannot be held responsible for problems that may occur to your device by using this security setup.

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
U mean Kaspersky was blocking the downloads from MEGA?
I use ESET IS and KIS on two different desktops but to me ESET seems to be a bit lighter than Kaspersky. I mean launching of apps feel snappier on the PC with ESET.
I have configured my downloads to reside on D: drive and KFA blocks anything suspicious on another drive besides C:. Had it removed and switched to WD.
I guess: KRD -> Kaspersky Rescue Disk & KRT -> Kaspersky Removal Tool
Yes, I switched from KRT to KRD since KRT failed to install on infected system years ago wherein the system was mine which I infected it myself using some samples and KRT failed.
KRD 2019 detects NVme disk and Optimus GPU.

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Removed:
Visual Studio 2015 community edition and it took hell of time and bloat to cleanup in folders and registry. Even NVidia CUDA 9.2 development edition was removed.
Downloaded:
Build 523 using WHDownloader which is in the process of testing if it can be applied or skipped using MS DEFCON from Ask woody.
Added:
Adobe flash update for Edge and FF.
Migrated every drivers from Legacy to UWD.
Bug list:
Build 472 introduced a rare lockscreen where keyboard and mouse does not pull up lockscreen wallaper and inputted password isn't seen and everything happens so late even with NVMe drive.
Workaround: Removing VS 2015, re-creating registry using reg compressor seems to have reduced it but not fixed completely.

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
A bit of dilemma:
After I reported a bug on BD Traffic Light and which wasn't resolved, BD team decided to give a no-restriction 6 months of BD TS 2019 5 devices pack, should I install it?

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
A bit of dilemma:
After I reported a bug on BD Traffic Light and which wasn't resolved, BD team decided to give a no-restriction 6 months of BD TS 2019 5 devices pack, should I install it?
I think you should try it at least. See how it behaves on your system. When it works it's pretty lightweight suite.
Personally I wouldn't. BD really either hates me or my system, whenever I install it, it's buggy. Updates takes like 1-2 minutes every hour with 100% disk usage, it would become unresponsive until update is finished. Even reported this to support staff 2-3 times, they always say it's not a bug. Well other AV using BD sigs update pretty fine on the same system in seconda too.

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I think you should try it at least. See how it behaves on your system. When it works it's pretty lightweight suite.
Personally I wouldn't. BD really either hates me or my system, whenever I install it, it's buggy. Updates takes like 1-2 minutes every hour with 100% disk usage, it would become unresponsive until update is finished. Even reported this to support staff 2-3 times, they always say it's not a bug. Well other AV using BD sigs update pretty fine on the same system in seconda too.
That's what I heard. Let's see how it runs.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
You'll only know if you try it and see how it flies on your pc. I loved BD Free until it cut out wi-fi connection, which would require multiple restarts to correct. It happened at least a few times in the month I used it. It used a bit of RAM but updated fine and scanned quick. Oh, and SSL scanning blocked a few safe sites, with no settings options.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
You'll only know if you try it and see how it flies on your pc. I loved BD Free until it cut out wi-fi connection, which would require multiple restarts to correct. It happened at least a few times in the month I used it. It used a bit of RAM but updated fine and scanned quick. Oh, and SSL scanning blocked a few safe sites, with no settings options.
I had the same problems. And sometimes I had high cpu usage

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
@rockstarrocks I installed BD TS 2019 on my sister's laptop and guess what, it consume too much CPU cycles, more RAM, always buggy UI, blocked Windows updates from installing with BSOD. I emailed their tech support and let's see what happens.
Tech support is pretty much useless, last time I reported the update bug and they said upgrade to ssd. I said other AVs using BD signatures like Emsisoft does not have this problem. I thought they would ask for logs and stuff, I was ready even for remote desktop connection, but naah. Pretty much useless.

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I won't install it on my PC just because it has SSD. I installed KFA Free 2019 on 8 year old laptop and it just flies.I installed it on mine and I didn't feel there was an AV.
Tech support is pretty much useless, last time I reported the update bug and they said upgrade to ssd. I said other AVs using BD signatures like Emsisoft does not have this problem. I thought they would ask for logs and stuff, I was ready even for remote desktop connection, but naah. Pretty much useless.
I uninstalled it and switched to WD configured with Configure Defender. BD was buggy 10 years ago and now its same.

jackwilli

Level 3
Verified
Jan 1, 2019
That's the way it has been since I joined MT. I have limited bandwidth internet and daily limit is 1.5GB.
I might delay updating windows if there are problems but if there's none I'm always on latest update.
Added:
0Patch

Will be modding my BIOS w/ new RAID,GOP,microcode and unlocked menus on most PCs since they're EOL.
That is why I am also sticking to v1803. In India mostly users have 1.5 GB daily limit (jio effect).
Removed:
Groove Music
Added:
MusicBee
Groove doesn't have many options to configure. Though I use AIMP instead of MusicBee due to its skins:p:LOL:.

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
That is why I am also sticking to v1803. In India mostly users have 1.5 GB daily limit (jio effect).

Groove doesn't have many options to configure. Though I use AIMP instead of MusicBee due to its skins:p:LOL:.
Same thing on airtel too. BTW, because of my FIOS ISP never allowed downloading huge files even after they doubled the data I switched to Jio and airtel!

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Some entries in 'Defender high settings' are in Audit mode. If you do not plan to use them in the future, then set them to Disabled (no Audit alerts).(y)
Some options in audit mode was set to enabled. I did disable USB protection to protection for signed/unsigned apps because I use USB drives frequently. Other than that everything is optimised for medium to high custom settings.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.