User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Real-time security
Windows Defender, BD Traffic Light and Configure Defender
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Whitelisted VMware vhd file folder.
Block at first sight and couple of others using Configuredefender.
Periodic malware scanners
KRD, Dr. web LiveCD,ESET LiveCD,EEK,HMP
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
uBO, Cookie Autodelete,BD Traffic Light, SC Currency converter, Google translate for FF,Default bookmark folder,HTTPS everywhere,Uget, User agent switcher, Auto tab discard, Google shortcuts and Side View.
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, Dism++, Bleachbit,Windows Disk Cleanup,Wise disk cleaner,System Ninja, 0Patch
File and Photo backup
On-site storage on external drives.
System recovery
MR Free and Lazesoft recovery PE
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Alienware 15 R2 w/ 6700HQ,980M 8GB GDDR5,16GB DDR4 RAM, 1xNVMe SSD,1xSATA SSD,AW Mouse,AW AGA,X Stand and 1TB HGST HDD 7.2k rpm.
Lenovo G500 with Pentium 2020M PCLGA w/ 6GB RAM and intel hd 2500 graphics.
Notes by Staff Team
  1. This setup configuration may put you and your device at risk!
    We do not recommend that other members use this setup. We cannot be held responsible for problems that may occur to your device by using this security setup.

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
@harlan4096 I couldn't see Kaspersky Free listed at USA site and downloaded KSC Free for my sister and so far so good. Only issue is WD keeping nagging KSC FW is inactive and I've double checked that Windows FW is active and working. Any idea? I disabled Web protection module since it was slowing down the browser and I'm good with BD Traffic light addon.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
All I would recommend if you're only using WD as the native AV twin this with OSArmor, alongside Configure Defender. I would certainly turn on Updates as well, unless there's a preferred reason why, this is essential to secure your OS.

~LDogg

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
All I would recommend if you're only using WD as the native AV twin this with OSArmor, alongside Configure Defender. I would certainly turn on Updates as well, unless there's a preferred reason why, this is essential to secure your OS.

~LDogg
If you saw the update version, its the latest available update for v1803. I also manually update WD bi-weekly. It helps me save lot of data since I don't have high volume of data w/ Wifi.

Removed:
Incognito This Tab addon.

Reactions: brambedkar59

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@harlan4096 I couldn't see Kaspersky Free listed at USA site and downloaded KSC Free for my sister and so far so good. Only issue is WD keeping nagging KSC FW is inactive and I've double checked that Windows FW is active and working. Any idea? I disabled Web protection module since it was slowing down the browser and I'm good with BD Traffic light addon.
That issue with FW disabled was with W10 1803 but it's fixed with W10 1809...

Update: I think for USA You have to download global version: https://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/thank-you/free-antivirus-download

Last edited:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Sad to see them ruining such a good AV. To me Avast (AVG, pretty much same) and Kaspersky seems to be the only viable choice in the free AV (3rd party) category for now.
Edited for more clarity.

Last edited:

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Downgraded to 590 build because BT is permanently disabled eventhough its ON. I tried many ways and uninstalled the update and let you guys know! On linux BT works fine.

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Updated to build 619 since I talked with Killer WLAN card rep and he said BT hasn't been working on v1803 and some got it working on v1809. I tested it on my old PC and it seems None of the Qualcomm BT features works on v1803.
So, I'm downloading 19H1 UUP dump for detailed testing.

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Installed Insider Release 18346.1 yesterday. I used Clean installation so I can't say if there's any data deletion bug.
Overall feels like I'm using Win 95.
EDIT: Insider version typo fixed from 18846 to 18346.1

Last edited:

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Huh? Is that a good thing or a bad thing lol
The UI is really bad. Light theme is like Super High contrast White we used in Win 95/98 and icons looks similar too!
Net icon is shown as black and white globe. If you connect to Wifi/Ethernet only then icon changes to show WiFi/Ethernet.

Some tray icons are missed out and highlights are blown out of proportions. So I switched to Dark mode for windows and Light mode for apps.

View in full screen and you'll see the difference. In HDR panel you'll see that Light Theme is too harsh on eyes.

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
@Andy Ful A bug report for Configure Defender on Insider release 18846.1 because WD v1902.3 has been shipped to all PCs using Win defender through WU and w/o disabling Tamper protection configuredefender options no longer works and even mpcmdrun cleanup commands no longer works and it throws Not found error. Disabling Tamper protection enabled me to apply configure defender ruleset. The real bug lies in CHild Protection because clicking on it will set Configure defender to use High/Paranoid settings.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@Andy Ful A bug report for Configure Defender on Insider release 18846.1 because WD v1902.3 has been shipped to all PCs using Win defender through WU and w/o disabling Tamper protection configuredefender options no longer works and even mpcmdrun cleanup commands no longer works and it throws Not found error. Disabling Tamper protection enabled me to apply configure defender ruleset. The real bug lies in CHild Protection because clicking on it will set Configure defender to use High/Paranoid settings.
Interesting. I tried two days ago H_C (with ConfigureDefender) in VM on WIndows 18841.1 and everything worked without issues (Tampered protection ON). I will try to update Windows and repeat the test.

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Interesting. I tried two days ago H_C (with ConfigureDefender) in VM on WIndows 18841.1 and everything worked without issues (Tampered protection ON). I will try to update Windows and repeat the test.
I know in VM there was no issues but W10 these days detect VM and nearly all features just works. The same image snapshot in real Host OS has lot of issues. I installed it in daily usage machine. I wanted to test if BT audio issue on v1803 has been fixed or not. Yes its fixed.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I know in VM there was no issues but W10 these days detect VM and nearly all features just works. The same image snapshot in real Host OS has lot of issues. I installed it in daily usage machine. I wanted to test if BT audio issue on v1803 has been fixed or not. Yes its fixed.
Cannot update the Windows Insider 18841 to 18845, the update fails in VM.:(
I will wait some time and will make a fresh install of the new Windows Insider version to test ConfigureDefender & WD Tamper Protection.(y)

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Cannot update the Windows Insider 18841 to 18845, the update fails in VM.:(
I will wait some time and will make a fresh install of the new Windows Insider version to test ConfigureDefender & WD Tamper Protection.(y)
Sorry my version is 18346.1. Sorry for the typo.
You can to do ISO upgrade method because updates are being delivered really slow as possible for best experience.

Vasudev

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Made an in-place upgrade to latest insider 18362.1.
Good news is that conflicting driver settings reverted to factory defaults after upgrading to latest W10 build.
Bad news bugs and older apps/games doesn't work well on newest OS w/o using W8 compatibility layer. Even some apps like VMware runs fine with W8 settings and if left at default they bootup in black screen. Older dx9,10 and 11 released before 2013 doesn't exit properly when I tested it against 18346.1 and I might test it tomorrow.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.