Not open for further replies.

I Walk MY Way

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 27, 2013
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
I was encrypting my C drive with veracrypt when the pc had a bsod and rebooted to nothing and by nothing I mean no boot screen I tried to enter boot menu and bios no go, pulled the cpu ram ssd and put them back in pulled the cmos battery hoping the board would reset but no joy so on a scale of 1 to 10 How f##ked am I , I am thing a 10 ?
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
pulled the cpu ram ssd and put them back in pulled the cmos battery hoping the board would reset but no joy
I was encrypting my C drive with veracrypt when the pc had a bsod

Solution
Hi all Update
I took the PC to A local pc repair shop They checked it out ran tests ect,
Cpu = nuked
Board = nuked
Ssd = nuked
Ram chips and PSU are fine so tis dead as a dodo new pc time.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I'm not even sure where to start. Sounds like a catastrophic failure. Can you get to the BIOS menu or is your PC not even able to boot?

I'm not sure how you can recover from this, your hard drive is most likely corrupted and dead. Your CPU should be fine with a new hard drive,

I've never heard of a situation like this where a BSOD nuked your hard drive and CPU. Wow!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
How did you determine the point at which the CPU was not working?
pulled the cpu ram ssd and put them back in pulled the cmos battery hoping the board would reset but no joy
If I had removed the cpu from the socket, it is possible that I bent a pin in doing so.

Similar to the symptoms of a damaged bios. In that case, there is very little that the user can do individually.

Reactions: vtqhtr413 and plat
Upvote 0

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
I am thinking to a solution: C drive being encrypted and the OS being there, pratically there is no other solution than connect to your PC from another PC and try to recover C partition by decrypting it. There are various recovery software that can help. You should ask veracrypt if this is a feasible solution or not or to provide you with further advice. Never try to encrypt the partition where OS is installed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Some parts of SSD partition data might be still intact while other parts are already encrypted and have become unreadable.

That sounds feasible but I got the impression from the OP that there is no display. Correct? I mean, if it's integrated graphics on the processor chip, it's possible the power supply may have given out and is no longer delivering adequate juice to the components. Of course, without a working display, it could be anything: board, cpu, power supply. . If it's a desktop, is the monitor cable plugged firmly into the right port?

OP didn't mention whether this is a laptop or desktop. If desktop, it might be worthwhile to swap the processor into another compatible machine. If it doesn't boot from there, then you have more conclusive info. I would look for reputable computer repair shops in the area and see if anything is salvageable, incl. drive.

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

cant boot from Boot from CD/USB
No BIOS menu PC not even able to boot. light is on on motherboard so I have power to board. so I am thinking the CPU is nuked that and the ssd
  • No BIOS (stored in ROM on motherboard)
  • No UEFI boot loader (stored on motherboard NVRAM)
  • No USB detection

Component on motherboard nuked... "It's dead Jim. It's dead."

Upvote 0

Pico

Level 4
Feb 6, 2023
That sounds feasible but I got the impression from the OP that there is no display. Correct? I mean, if it's integrated graphics on the processor chip, it's possible the power supply may have given out and is no longer delivering adequate juice to the components.
You could be right but OP also said that light on motherboard is on which could indicate that power supply is ok.

Upvote 0

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
It would be very helpful if you posted the specs of the machine, the first thing I would try is resetting the bios, it usually involves a power button or power cord manipulation, you have to find out how to perform it on your particular machine, start on the manufacturer's website forum. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: plat and show-Zi
Upvote 0

I Walk MY Way

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 27, 2013
Thanks for all the help and info
The light on the board no longer turns on the fans no longer spin, so its nuked,
I put the ssd into my other pc It was unreadable it could not be detected did not show up in the bios its nuked,
So I am going to have to call it and pronounce it Dead. Ho well time to go pc shopping. Again thanks for all the help and info.

Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Now the way you describe it makes me think that it wasn't VeraCrypt which fried your PC, it was some hardware component that caused the BSOD and afterwards the complete failure.

You should test for energy, but my first thought would be a Linux pendrive to delete any OS corruption and leave the SSD blank. Of course this won't work if everything's fried, but I can't see how this happened.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.