Not open for further replies.

I Walk MY Way

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 27, 2013
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
I was encrypting my C drive with veracrypt when the pc had a bsod and rebooted to nothing and by nothing I mean no boot screen I tried to enter boot menu and bios no go, pulled the cpu ram ssd and put them back in pulled the cmos battery hoping the board would reset but no joy so on a scale of 1 to 10 How f##ked am I , I am thing a 10 ?
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
pulled the cpu ram ssd and put them back in pulled the cmos battery hoping the board would reset but no joy
I was encrypting my C drive with veracrypt when the pc had a bsod

Solution
Hi all Update
I took the PC to A local pc repair shop They checked it out ran tests ect,
Cpu = nuked
Board = nuked
Ssd = nuked
Ram chips and PSU are fine so tis dead as a dodo new pc time.

Malleable

Level 1
Mar 2, 2021
Never had one or knew anyone who did but one remote possibility is the mythical power surge. Before I threw the ssd away just for the heck of it I'd boot the good computer you transferred it to from a live Linux cd, lsblk it, and see if the ssd shows. If you get lucky and it happens to show you can repair and/or format it from there.
Sorry. The post 2 above was as I typed this.

Reactions: DDE_Server
Upvote 0

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Are you going to salvage your RAM and power supply or toss them? I am surprised your psu and surge protector are still around but your board, processor and drive are not. I would monitor temps from now on, it's possible over-heating can do a number too. I have an old gpu (7 yrs) and monitor its temp often. 🍀🤞

At least you got things sorted out and you can move on, right?

Upvote 0

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
It's rare, but there have been cases where static electricity from fingertips has damaged parts.👉💥
In the bad old days when CMOS chips first came out, you couldn't walk past one with blowing it up. Power MOSFET's weren't much better. Also, after a lightening storm, we'd sell thousands of TX/RX chips to repair just about every fax machine in town. Ah, the good old days...

Upvote 0

Pico

Level 4
Feb 6, 2023
Walking over a carpet back and forth during weather with low moisture level (around or during winter time) builds up enough static electricity in your body to blow up components on the motherboard when you point your fingertip close enough.

Always take measures to prevent ESD before pulling out the hardware components.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.