Q&A Vetting And/Or Visiting Unknown Websites?

Stretch_

Level 1
Sep 25, 2021
I think the best way to vet is to use brain.exe. Is the site unfamiliar? Navigate away, don't even click. Stick to familiar reputable sites,

I do not like WOT, Traffic Light or Malwarebytes. They give you little security in exchange for sending a list of all the websites you are visiting. That's not a good deal at all.
I understand different users have different browsing activities. For me, I somewhat often find myself wanting to click on unfamiliar sites due to the relevance of the description that appears in search results for something I am seeking out. If that wasn't the case I likely would not have opened this thread.

I have not yet taken the time to research privacy policies for all of the browser extensions being mentioned, but I agree it is adding a middleman and communicating one's web traffic. Despite not being a high risk user, I simply do not like the principle of this no-opt-out model that is so prevalent. I'm likely in the minority, but I think it's too bad more companies don't offer such services for an additional fee, but with much stricter privacy policies.

I seem to be headed in the direction of educating myself more about all of the most likely threats one could encounter if they happen to land on a malicious website, and what security settings could be in place that would mitigate almost all of them. I would then run such a browser perhaps in a VM on occasions where I am venturing off the beaten path.

That stated, I am curious to learn more about browser-based threat mitigation beyond blocking javascript and ads.

Last edited:

Stretch_

Level 1
Sep 25, 2021
Some routers offer URL filtering also. When your router has it, you might as well use it.
I'm not familiar with advanced router-based URL filtering beyond simple white/blacklist settings. Would anyone care to mention advanced router-based URL filtering configurations they are aware of?

SeriousHoax

Level 39
Verified
Mar 16, 2019
Is Norton safe web good? They have the function where if a site is unsafe they can open the site on their server, so you won't be affected
I think that's a feature of their AV product and part of their banking protection. You need the Norton Safe Web extension as well as Norton as the AV to achieve that if I remember correctly.

oldschool

Level 63
Verified
Mar 29, 2018
If youre either advanced user or do some research yourself about hard mode

EIther run UBO in Hard Mode/Medium mode
Agreed. And of course I agree with many of the other posted suggestions above

@Stretch_ it's worth investing some time learning µBO medium or hard mode, time better spent than researching all the other browser extensions. These two links and a bit of trial & error are all anyone should need uBlock Wiki uBlock Origin Tutorial

You can become a pro with some time left before the Google change to Manifest V3 when we'll all likely have to learn some new tricks. :D

peterfat111

Level 8
Mar 25, 2021
@Stretch_
Most ASUS and some TP routers have Trend Micro URL filter, D-Link had a router with mcFee, Bitdefender and AVG had a router with their URL blocklists

@peterfat111
Seems like a nice feature, but have not used it myself so have no experience with it
so if I tries to go to a random fake crack website this pop up

1633306873449.png

and if I click continue to the site it shows this,

1633306925032.png

if I click on continue this opens up
1633306978872.png

which opens up a norton site which opens the page in isolated mode

1633307040065.png

Last edited by a moderator:

peterfat111

Level 8
Mar 25, 2021
It depends on how you're using it. As DOH in the browser its phishing/malware blocking is average at best. Adblocking is part of its paid OS setup or via extension.
I am pretty sure that their dns also block ads I tried with yt and some other sites the dns totally works