Advice Request Vetting And/Or Visiting Unknown Websites?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Stretch_

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 25, 2021
I think the best way to vet is to use brain.exe. Is the site unfamiliar? Navigate away, don't even click. Stick to familiar reputable sites,

I do not like WOT, Traffic Light or Malwarebytes. They give you little security in exchange for sending a list of all the websites you are visiting. That's not a good deal at all.
I understand different users have different browsing activities. For me, I somewhat often find myself wanting to click on unfamiliar sites due to the relevance of the description that appears in search results for something I am seeking out. If that wasn't the case I likely would not have opened this thread.

I have not yet taken the time to research privacy policies for all of the browser extensions being mentioned, but I agree it is adding a middleman and communicating one's web traffic. Despite not being a high risk user, I simply do not like the principle of this no-opt-out model that is so prevalent. I'm likely in the minority, but I think it's too bad more companies don't offer such services for an additional fee, but with much stricter privacy policies.

I seem to be headed in the direction of educating myself more about all of the most likely threats one could encounter if they happen to land on a malicious website, and what security settings could be in place that would mitigate almost all of them. I would then run such a browser perhaps in a VM on occasions where I am venturing off the beaten path.

That stated, I am curious to learn more about browser-based threat mitigation beyond blocking javascript and ads.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi and oldschool

Stretch_

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 25, 2021
Some routers offer URL filtering also. When your router has it, you might as well use it.
I'm not familiar with advanced router-based URL filtering beyond simple white/blacklist settings. Would anyone care to mention advanced router-based URL filtering configurations they are aware of?

Reactions: Nevi and peterfat11

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
If youre either advanced user or do some research yourself about hard mode

EIther run UBO in Hard Mode/Medium mode
Agreed. And of course I agree with many of the other posted suggestions above

@Stretch_ it's worth investing some time learning µBO medium or hard mode, time better spent than researching all the other browser extensions. These two links and a bit of trial & error are all anyone should need uBlock Wiki uBlock Origin Tutorial

You can become a pro with some time left before the Google change to Manifest V3 when we'll all likely have to learn some new tricks. :D

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
@Stretch_
Most ASUS and some TP routers have Trend Micro URL filter, D-Link had a router with mcFee, Bitdefender and AVG had a router with their URL blocklists

@peterfat111
Seems like a nice feature, but have not used it myself so have no experience with it
so if I tries to go to a random fake crack website this pop up

1633306873449.png

and if I click continue to the site it shows this,

1633306925032.png

if I click on continue this opens up
1633306978872.png

which opens up a norton site which opens the page in isolated mode

1633307040065.png

Last edited by a moderator:

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
It depends on how you're using it. As DOH in the browser its phishing/malware blocking is average at best. Adblocking is part of its paid OS setup or via extension.
I am pretty sure that their dns also block ads I tried with yt and some other sites the dns totally works

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.