Windows Defender with ZoneAlarm
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Hitman Pro
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Google Chrome with AdBlock Plus, Avast Online Safe and Tampermonkey
Maintenance tools
Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware, CCleaner, Secunia PSI, TrueCrypt with built-in BitLocker
File and Photo backup
Marcium Reflect
System recovery
RollbackRx

viettungvuong2003

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 25, 2016
This is my configuration. I choose Windows Defender because it's light. Some of you guys will say it's weak, it's OK because I have MBAM, strongest scanner in the world! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: _CyberGhosT_
A

Alkajak

Looks good. A few questions; How have you set up your W10 updates to Manual? Does W10 Education come with SmartScreen? If so, you can edit your OS App Reputation.

I would swap out AdBlock Plus for uBlock Origin. Good configuration, thanks for sharing.

viettungvuong2003

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 25, 2016
Looks good. A few questions; How have you set up your W10 updates to Manual? Does W10 Education come with SmartScreen? If so, you can edit your OS App Reputation.

I would swap out AdBlock Plus for uBlock Origin. Good configuration, thanks for sharing.

- I turn off the Windows Update service in services.msc and I use WHDownloader to download and install update.
- Windows 10 Education has SmartScreen but I've turned it off.

viettungvuong2003

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 25, 2016
Any particular reason for either of those tweaks? Updates usually fix bugs and SmartScreen is a system-wide security, not just specific to IE anymore. Both tweaks decrease your security, in my opinion.

Well, the problem is if Windows Update automatically download updates, it will slow down my bandwidth because I still use DSL network. If I use WHDownloader, I can choose a time that I don't use computer to download it so it easier.

About SmartScreen, I have MBAM, second, I often use coded softwares from Vietnam and the developers don't have the reputation or certificate so SmartScreen in this case is very annoying. And ultimately, I always sign out of my Facebook, Twitter and Mail and I don't use the online-banking so it's fine for me.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Hello my friend, thanks for sharing your config,
I like the MBAM & Zonealarm combo that's interesting.
Just my opinion but there are some things you could do to buff your security a bit,
but you sound knowledgeable and satisfied with your setup, so who am I to judge right ?
I would add an anti exe to this setup just to be safe, and I love this light config you have going on here.
Welcome :)
PeAcE

viettungvuong2003

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 25, 2016
Hello my friend, thanks for sharing your config,
I like the MBAM & Zonealarm combo that's interesting.
Just my opinion but there are some things you could do to buff your security a bit,
but you sound knowledgeable and satisfied with your setup, so who am I to judge right ?
I would add an anti exe to this setup just to be safe, and I love this light config you have going on here.
Welcome :)
PeAcE

I suggest you to enable Smartscreen.

The reason that I've turned off SmartScreen is at #5. However, I use Sandboxie and Shadow Defender. I think SmartScreen can be turned off because MBAM has done its work :D

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
maybe I am missing something but it doesn't look like you have any Anti-virus running.
MBAM is not an anti-virus. It catches lots of things that AV misses, but on the other hand, it misses a lot of things that AV catches. It is meant to complement an AV, not replace it.

viettungvuong2003

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
May 25, 2016
maybe I am missing something but it doesn't look like you have any Anti-virus running.
MBAM is not an anti-virus. It catches lots of things that AV misses, but on the other hand, it misses a lot of things that AV catches. It is meant to complement an AV, not replace it.

I use the Pro version with Realtime protection with HitmanPro, two of them will protect my computer completely. And I don't use my computer for work or learning so it's fine for a light protection.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I use the Pro version with Realtime protection with HitmanPro, two of them will protect my computer completely. And I don't use my computer for work or learning so it's fine for a light protection.
even the pro version of MBAM with realtime protection is no replacement for AV. Check out what their support says on their forum, they are the first to admit it.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013

I'd get HitmanPro.Alert. I believe after the trial of the full version you keep a very good free program. I would add a browser extension in Chrome from one of the AV companies, maybe Avira or Avast--there's probably several to choose from for free. You can also get free online protection with no resource burden by immunization from HostsMan, Spybot, and Spyware Blaster.

I would add LastPass for a password manager.

If you're open to a light AV, you might grab the next giveaway of Advanced System Care Ultimate, which has the Bitdefender engine.

Macrium Reflect is pretty good.

Reactions: viettungvuong2003

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.