App Review Vindows Locker Ransomware Demonstration

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

What should I start to take a look at in these videos?

• Total voters
M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Were you using a VPN while doing this test?
Yes I was but not on the VM just on my Host PC. When I do normal AV Tests I use a VPN on both the Host & VM.

It's a shame a lot of home users probably have one computer, have no clue what ransomware is, let alone which one it is. So, they are stuck, and end-up paying the money as they want their files back. I'd ring it and waste their time!!!!

P.S. are you saying that Comodo's signatures are crap, that's not very PC - LOL!!!!!!
Yeah it is a shame & a serious problem for less advanced users. Also Comodo's signatures aren't great but they're not that bad - not like many of the other AVs shown to not detect this file.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Excellent video. Just to say so, I guess I would like to see more on rootkits if you ever have an opportunity. I read they are the hardest to detect and also the most difficult to remove. I see many instances where anti- decide to recommend reinstalling windows. o_O:(

W

Wave

Thread author
I read they are the hardest to detect and also the most difficult to remove
He can probably do a video on some malicious software which will utilize some rootkit functionality (e.g. Zeus, Carberp and SpyEye all had a rootkit component embedded within them to conceal evidence), but for him to do it with a brand new zero-day sample would most likely be a difficult task since it's less common to bump into deadly rootkits these days (as with bootkits), and due to how a rootkit works, you can never be sure on what it actually does unless you have the original launcher to analyse the modifications... Otherwise it's just a guessing game of searching for hooks and modifications with kernel structures and what not.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Excellent video. Just to say so, I guess I would like to see more on rootkits if you ever have an opportunity. I read they are the hardest to detect and also the most difficult to remove. I see many instances where anti- decide to recommend reinstalling windows. o_O:(
Thanks & I plan to look at a Rootkit in the Christmas Special video & maybe a Keylogger too ;)

He can probably do a video on some malicious software which will utilize some rootkit functionality (e.g. Zeus, Carberp and SpyEye all had a rootkit component embedded within them to conceal evidence), but for him to do it with a brand new zero-day sample would most likely be a difficult task since it's less common to bump into deadly rootkits these days (as with bootkits), and due to how a rootkit works, you can never be sure on what it actually does unless you have the original launcher to analyse the modifications... Otherwise it's just a guessing game of searching for hooks and modifications with kernel structures and what not.
Yeah I'm sure I can find an old Rootkit lying around somewhere...

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
That's what I really do not understand; Comodo has an excellent firewall and excellent virtualization yet if they'd cut the crappy lies and almost conspiracy theorist ideologies they could be very good. They offer technology even the best do not, some are probably the future of the AV industries arsenal of cyber weapons against the bad guys.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.