Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 30, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Crashes computer (IRQL_NOT_EQUAL)
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Total reinstall (Not effective at all)
From MS-DOS to Debian Linux (and Mac OSX Mountain Lion), any OS installed will NOT work and crashes VB or the computer.
I have set all the values to the recommended values (e.g. memory space, storage space...). Still nothing.

Detailed symptoms:
Sometimes VB says "No disk media found"
Sometimes VB crashes with Out of Memory
Disk space rapidly filling up
(Needs help reconfiguring)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Let's examine those detailed symptoms:

"No Disk media found" - usually not valid ISO file when inserted so double check it and try again.

"Out of memory" - this happens when you're host PC is nearly accumulated on the RAM assigned so try again also.

Reconfigure again and check, also can you provide a screenshot on what does the error look like?

Upvote 0

SkyboundSteven

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 30, 2014
Let's examine those detailed symptoms:

"No Disk media found" - usually not valid ISO file when inserted so double check it and try again.

"Out of memory" - this happens when you're host PC is nearly accumulated on the RAM assigned so try again also.

Reconfigure again and check, also can you provide a screenshot on what does the error look like?

VB was unintentionally uninstalled :(

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
What do you mean unintentionally uninstalled? As problem exist, did you reinstall Virtualbox and test if still having an issue?

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Ok, first, can you be clear about what OS you are "Now" trying to install Virtualbox on.
Second, what version of VB are you trying to install to that OS?

Those two questions, can change many variables.

The "sometimes" no disc media found could be anything from scratches on the media to a dirty Disc player or faulty one.

VB crashes out of Memory, pretty much sums itself up..

Upvote 0
M

MalwareT

From MS-DOS to Debian Linux (and Mac OSX Mountain Lion), any OS installed will NOT work and crashes VB or the computer.
I have set all the values to the recommended values (e.g. memory space, storage space...). Still nothing.

Detailed symptoms:
Sometimes VB says "No disk media found"
Sometimes VB crashes with Out of Memory
Disk space rapidly filling up
(Needs help reconfiguring)

Which version are you using ? 4.3.12 worked best for me, now i'm using VMware Workstation.

Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
i'v had trouble with Virtualbox since 4.3.14 and so has a lot of other people

i tryed 4.3.16 and the samething trouble with starting any OS with different
errors that come up

so i went back to version 4.3.12 and it has worked fine for me

thay say it is from security programs interfearing with Virtualbox but i'm not
so sure because i just use Windows Defender on Win 8.1 and can't see it making
trouble with anything hell it can't even protect me i have to do it myself lol

:)

James

Reactions: MalwareT
Upvote 0

SkyboundSteven

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 30, 2014
What do you mean unintentionally uninstalled? As problem exist, did you reinstall Virtualbox and test if still having an issue?

I accidentally wiped the drive it was on. Say goodbye to all those OSes :(

I was even able to run Haiku on it...(also AmigaOS aka IcarOS)
*Profanity followed by deep sigh*

Upvote 0

SkyboundSteven

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 30, 2014
Ok, first, can you be clear about what OS you are "Now" trying to install Virtualbox on.
Second, what version of VB are you trying to install to that OS?

Those two questions, can change many variables.

The "sometimes" no disc media found could be anything from scratches on the media to a dirty Disc player or faulty one.

VB crashes out of Memory, pretty much sums itself up..

I can't remember the version now (screenshot feature was messed up AND the drive was accidentally wiped),
But I do remember the OS I was trying to install on VirtualBox before this happened.

It was Windows XP SP3 (2013 Sept).
It kept hanging up at that dreaded partition screen with "Unknown format".
Then I tried to somehow copy the virtual disk from other people and replace mine (resetted all settings after this).
And well.....this happened.

About that accidental wipe:
I somehow clicked Wipe on Tails in the disk VB was on.
I thought the warning message said "Disk space full", but actually it was "Do you wish to continue?".
(I was really sleepy at that time...my fault.)
Since the disk only contained less than 720MiB of data, Tails promptly wiped them (after you press Yes, it cannot be stopped).
Please, someone call me an idiot.

About VB got messed up:
Yep, somehow the main binary file was altered (MD5 did not match with official one).
I think I installed something really naughty. *sigh*
When I press Take Screenshot, it just gives me something like this:
oekg2EH.png

(Yeah...this is a simulated one, but it looked similar to this)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyboundSteven

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 30, 2014
Which version are you using ? 4.3.12 worked best for me, now i'm using VMware Workstation.
Sadly I cannot remember. Disk was unintentionally wiped.

(I was using Tails at that time, to figure out what the heck would've caused the corruption)
PLEASE, SOMEONE YELL "YOU STUPID F^%&!!" AT ME.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

Well as it seems your reinstalling your main OS after the wipe, i would advise as @jim lin and @Malware Test and try an older version of Virtualbox since you are running XP, that may have been the case. No way to tell now that the system has been wiped.

Upvote 0

SkyboundSteven

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 30, 2014
Well as it seems your reinstalling your main OS after the wipe, i would advise as @jim lin and @Malware Test and try an older version of Virtualbox since you are running XP, that may have been the case. No way to tell now that the system has been wiped.

Oops, there was a mistake.
I meant the OS I was going to install ON VIRTUALBOX was Windows XP.
I used Windows 7 x64 SP1 to install and use VirtualBox. (On separate drive, to prevent things like accidental wiping from hurting my precious)

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.