VirtualBox only showing 32 bit guest versions on my 64 bit host OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

I just installed VirtualBox latest version. My aim is to set up 2 VPNs from 2 different providers i.e. one for the host machine (MS SP4 Core i7-6650U with Win 10 Pro 64-bit) and one for the VM to perform double-hop

I have the same problem as the guy in the link below

Why is VirtualBox only showing 32 bit guest versions on my 64 bit host OS? - fixedByVonnie

and his solution was

If VirtualBox is only showing 32 bit versions in the Version list make sure:
  • Your Host OS is 64-bits
  • Intel Virtualization Technology VT-x and VT-d are both enabled in the BIOS
  • The Hyper-V platform is disabled in your Windows Feature list.
Now I checked and found that Hyper-V was unchecked but I couldn't find Intel Virtualization Technology VT-x and VT-d in my UEFI (no BIOS, see below) although the specs below said they're supported

Core i7-6650U - Intel - WikiChip

I checked in System Info and it shows I have Virtual Memory of 16 GB RAM (8GB of physical RAM)

Below are all the settings in the UEFI

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4023532/surface-how-do-i-use-the-bios-uefi

No VT-x and VT-d.............I think I can only use Win 10 32-bit version. I also checked in VirtualBox that all other OSes also in 32-bit version only

Anyone can confirm? Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: harlan4096

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Like you mentioned before, Intel Virtualization Technology VT-x and VT-d should both be enabled in the BIOS.
If you are sure that you have tried all the solutions of the page you linked to, and it still doesn't work then you can try another solution (that worked for me) and that is repairing the installation of VirtualBox.

For this solution, you will need the installer file that you used to install VirtualBox (e.g. VirtualBox-5.2.12-122591-Win.exe).

If you don't have the installer file anymore then you will have to download it again (www.virtualbox.org).

1. Right-click on the installer file and choose Run as administrator.
2. When the Windows User Account Control window appears, you click Yes.
A setup window will appear.
3. Click on Next.
4. Click on the Repair icon.
5. Click on Repair.
6. After the repair process is finished, you click on Finish.
7. Restart your PC.

Source: VirtualBox has no 64-bit option on Windows 10 (solutions)
Hi

I do not have Intel Virtualization Technology VT-x and VT-d settings in my UEFI so nothing can be done

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hi

I do not have Intel Virtualization Technology VT-x and VT-d settings in my UEFI so nothing can be done
You probably have it, but with a different name. Look for anything related to virtualization, that's probably it. The guys who write firmware seem to think they can just make up names for things as they wish...

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I'm using MS tablets and MS don't use BIOS but UEFI

And the things indicated in the UEFI are as follows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4023532/surface-how-do-i-use-the-bios-uefi
I don't have a Surface but try googling surface firmware virtualization.
I found this thread, they say it works
How to Enable Hardware Virtualization on Surface 3? - Windows Central Forums
scroll down to the post at
06-04-2015 01:29 PM
it has a youtube link, and read the following posts, people say it works. But don't ask me any questions about it, 'cause I dunno...

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I don't have a Surface but try googling surface firmware virtualization.
I found this thread, they say it works
How to Enable Hardware Virtualization on Surface 3? - Windows Central Forums
scroll down to the post at
06-04-2015 01:29 PM
it has a youtube link, and read the following posts, people say it works. But don't ask me any questions about it, 'cause I dunno...
Ok, there's a video there. Let me take a look and see

Thanks

Note :- I just checked using Task Manager (without installing the AMIDUOS) and finds that virtualisation is already enabled in my MS SP3 and MS SP4

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Ok, there's a video there. Let me take a look and see

Thanks

Note :- I just checked using Task Manager (without installing the AMIDUOS) and finds that virtualisation is already enabled in my MS SP3 and MS SP4
Try posting on the VirtualBox forum, maybe they know something?

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Try posting on the VirtualBox forum, maybe they know something?
The issue here is that you must be able to enable VT-x and VT-d in the BIOS/UEFI

The probem now is that I do not have the 2 settings in my UEFI. So it's not possible that by running AMIDUOS the 2 settings will appear to let me enabled them.

OK, I installed and ran AMIDUOS but its showing black screen.....forget it

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
After installing, ran for a few seconds and uninstalling AMIDUOS I reboot and went into the UEFI and checked. True enough there's no settings to enable VT-x and VT-d

However, I re-download SecurAble from

GRC | SecurAble: Determine Processor Security Features |

and ran it.

Voila! This time I got the picture shown on the RIGHT side in the above link (see below) which I failed to get it when I discussed below in post #13

1544510057951.png

Discuss - Using always a VM (included Shadow Defender) vs protected host OS?

I'm going to re-download VirtualBox and try again. Hope that this time I can get it installed and running

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
OK

1) Checked that Hyper-V is off ==> OFF
2) Installed VB and guess what? All the 32-bit and 64-bit Oses appeared which I only managed to get 32-bit Oses previous;ly. Progress seems good
3) Downloaded Ubuntu 18.10 (cosmic) amd64 iso since the latest Ungoogled Chromium will be compatible as its browser. See below link
Downloads for ungoogled-chromium

Too late now.....it's 12.21 am 11 Dec 18 in my place. I need to sleep for I have to get up at 5 am to work. Wil continue tomorrow

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
OK

1) Checked that Hyper-V is off ==> OFF
2) Installed VB and guess what? All the 32-bit and 64-bit Oses appeared which I only managed to get 32-bit Oses previous;ly. Progress seems good
3) Downloaded Ubuntu 18.10 (cosmic) amd64 iso since the latest Ungoogled Chromium will be compatible as its search engine. See below link
Downloads for ungoogled-chromium

Too late now.....it's 12.21 am 11 Dec 18 in my place. I need to sleep for I have to get up at 5am to work. Wil continue tomorrow
Thumbs up for your hard work which paid off in the end. You got that uncooperative Micro$oft hardware to cough up the hidden settings. :)

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Thumbs up for your hard work which paid off in the end. You got that uncooperative Micro$oft hardware to cough up the hidden settings. :)

On my way to work now

Actually without your helpful post above I would not have gotten so far. Thanks

Planning to install Firejail Sandbox, ESET AV, Windscribe VPN (or ProtonVPN) and use its default UFW Firewall for starters.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
On my way to work now

Actually without your helpful post above I would not have gotten so far. Thanks

Planning to install Firejail Sandbox, ESET AV, Windscribe VPN (or ProtonVPN) and use its default UFW Firewall for starters.
Does ESET for Linux actually protect the Linux system, or does it mainly give you a good way to scan the Windows system? I saw some people claiming that most of the linux AV programs are only effective for the latter.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Keep in mind that when you download in linux, it loses the mark of the web, so if you then open/run that file in Windows, you are losing some protection. For instance, let's say you download a Word doc in linux. When you open the doc in Windows, in MS Office, it will not be in protected mode.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Keep in mind that when you download in linux, it loses the mark of the web, so if you then open/run that file in Windows, you are losing some protection. For instance, let's say you download a Word doc in linux. When you open the doc in Windows, in MS Office, it will not be in protected mode.
Yes, host machine also needs to be well protected

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.