Question Vivaldi browser is a spy?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

How do you think all browsers spy on users?

• Yes, absolutely all browsers spy.

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Only some browsers (Google Chrome) spy, but there are browsers that don't spy (Firefox)

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • No browser spies, they all send only anonymous telemetry to improve functionality in future updates.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
I have been using Vivaldi browser for a long time. Convenient and functional browser. But spyshelter periodically showed me messages that Vivaldi was trying to register keystrokes (in essence, this is keylogging), and I created a rule forbidding the browser to do this. Once a day he makes an attempt, but spyshelter blocks this action. It is worth saying that periodically Firefox also registers keystrokes, while spyshelter automatically resolves this action. But it's about Vivaldi. Today, after updating the browser to the latest version, spyshelter displayed a message to me that it had not previously displayed. It concerned Vivaldi, who was trying to access BITS interprocess communication, if I write correctly. I didn’t particularly read and allowed this action, because when I blocked the browser began to crash. However, I’m interested in WHAT the browser did, because judging by the spyshelter log, the browser used some kind of utility to copy files from the hard disk or something like that. Recently I found a video where it was said that Vivaldi spies and once a day sends somewhere all the information about user sessions per day, using a unique identifier that is assigned to each user. I don’t know how true this is, and if it’s true, how much detailed information he sends, and whether other browsers do it. Now I’m wondering WHAT is the spyshelter logged for the browser action?
вивальди.png

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
And what is incomprehensible? :) I periodically look at program logs, and if I notice some activity that was not there before, some suspicious actions, then I look for information about this, and if I cannot find such information, I ask the user community about what it could mean is espionage, this is normal behavior, or this is malicious activity. This is not only interesting, but also important to know. Once in this way I discovered a deeply penetrated virus in the system. Therefore, I ask about a specific browser action that has not previously been observed.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Vivaldi as I remember was built by former Opera developers, I've used it a little but a but too much customisation against Operas not enough :D Have you asked about this in the Vivaldi forum?

Reactions: oldschool and catjc

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Vivaldi as I remember was built by former Opera developers, I've used it a little but a but too much customisation against Operas not enough :D Have you asked about this in the Vivaldi forum?
Yes, I will wait for an answer there too. I always play it safe a bit, and, as life shows, not in vain :) Once, I did not pay attention to the suspicious actions of the browser, and then I paid for it. Another time, I was more attentive and discovered a hidden virus. So it's better to play it safe than to solve problems later :)

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Last edited:

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
I have been using Vivaldi browser for a long time. Convenient and functional browser. But spyshelter periodically showed me messages that Vivaldi was trying to register keystrokes (in essence, this is keylogging), and I created a rule forbidding the browser to do this. Once a day he makes an attempt, but spyshelter blocks this action. It is worth saying that periodically Firefox also registers keystrokes, while spyshelter automatically resolves this action. But it's about Vivaldi. Today, after updating the browser to the latest version, spyshelter displayed a message to me that it had not previously displayed. It concerned Vivaldi, who was trying to access BITS interprocess communication, if I write correctly. I didn’t particularly read and allowed this action, because when I blocked the browser began to crash. However, I’m interested in WHAT the browser did, because judging by the spyshelter log, the browser used some kind of utility to copy files from the hard disk or something like that. Recently I found a video where it was said that Vivaldi spies and once a day sends somewhere all the information about user sessions per day, using a unique identifier that is assigned to each user. I don’t know how true this is, and if it’s true, how much detailed information he sends, and whether other browsers do it. Now I’m wondering WHAT is the spyshelter logged for the browser action?
View attachment 233640
out of the topic which version of spyshelter do you use ??

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Yes, I will wait for an answer there too. I always play it safe a bit, and, as life shows, not in vain :) Once, I did not pay attention to the suspicious actions of the browser, and then I paid for it. Another time, I was more attentive and discovered a hidden virus. So it's better to play it safe than to solve problems later :)
do you use special log management software ? i want also to be able to read logs to discover virus ??

Reactions: Zorro

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
do you use special log management software ? i want also to be able to read logs to discover virus ??
I myself go through the program logs and the Windows event log. Of course, it is more convenient to use specialized software that collects all the logs into one ready-made archive, for example, the AutoLogger program, maybe in the future I will use it. But for now, I myself look at the logs.
As for the virus, yes. That was a few years ago. Antivirus and antivirus scanners did not detect infection of the system, and only the Spychelter firewall issued warnings about the suspicious activity of the Microsoft Edge browser. Three days later, only Zemana Antimalware scanner was able to find the virus as a hidden entry in the registry.

• Applause
Reactions: plat and DDE_Server

Joll

Dec 17, 2021
After registering with vivaldi, my instagram account was hacked. Which had never happened to me. I had neither time nor desire to investigate. I uninstalled the browser and deleted the account.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
After registering with vivaldi, my instagram account was hacked. Which had never happened to me. I had neither time nor desire to investigate. I uninstalled the browser and deleted the account.

I heard from other people the same story, but that happens even by using different browsers...
More important for every online user account, if possible always trying to setup for any kind of 'Two-Factor Authentication'

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.