Vladimir Putin Still Uses The Obsolete ‘Windows XP’ In His Office

bribon77

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Russia’s President Vladimir Putin appears to use Microsoft Windows XP, despite the hacking risks that come along with it, according to a report form Open Media.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Wou
Does anyone know a hacker who would dare hack Putin computer???
Agreed...You don't want to mess with the "Russian Rambo" :LOL:
vladimir-putin-riding-bear.jpg

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

XP has less telemetry,
Theoretical. you can't be sure, Windows is closed source, they could send all their telemetry "a la" Win10 via svchost.exe you wouldn't know.
i knew a guy working in intelligence claiming that every Windows has a built-in backdoor.

Clevest move ever: use an OS that's so outdated that not even hacking tools are compatible with it!
Not really. The hacking tools aren't used on the target Windows' system by the attacker, attackers install the attack platform on his (usually) Linux system and launch his attacks from there. Serious hacking would be network penetration via DDOS (or else) then once the system compromised, the attacker would upload and hide a specifically crafted malware for persistence (hence it will always be compatible since the attacker isn't an idiot and would do reseaches first about his target...)
In fact, they are even best on XP or Win7 since their dev had decades to fine tunes them.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Theoretical. you can't be sure, Windows is closed source, they could send all their telemetry "a la" Windows 10 via svchost.exe you wouldn't know.
i knew a guy working in intelligence claiming that every Windows has a built-in backdoor.

Not really. The hacking tools aren't used on the target Windows' system by the attacker, attackers install the attack platform on his (usually) Linux system and launch his attacks from there. Serious hacking would be network penetration via DDOS (or else) then once the system compromised, the attacker would upload and hide a specifically crafted malware for persistence (hence it will always be compatible since the attacker isn't an idiot and would do reseaches first about his target...)
In fact, they are even best on XP or Windows 7 since their dev had decades to fine tunes them.
Local man discovers sarcasm

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Local man discovers sarcasm
real sarcastic man would let some clues about being sarcastic (usually this: :p ), since there is many "beginners" here, what you said would be easily interpreted being a noob comment. I read here even some ridiculous/erroneous comments made by "not-so-beginner" members.
Sorry, im not a telepath :D

Last edited by a moderator:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The source says 2019, not on the image but just the article.
View attachment 231139
Now that's a real catch and I stand corrected as I obviously was wrong. My initial search did pointed to 2014 but, that is 100% from 2019.
I clicked a bit more and found a interesting article from Forbes that talked with a few military experts.
There is a concept within the Russian military called maskirovka : a doctrine of deception. "Maskirovka is all about masking, giving out deceptive information, and it is engrained in all of their activities," Ingram says. And he suspects the publication of these photographs is quite possibly another maskirovka attempt "to see what the reaction in the West and elsewhere would be."
Ian Thornton-Trump, a cyber threat intelligence expert and CompTIA global faculty member, served in the Military Intelligence Branch of the Canadian Forces. "I would have thought Putin would be rolling with some high-security Linux distribution with extra FSB cybersecurity sauce," Thornton-Trump says. Putin himself was a former director of the Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation, the FSB. To imagine that the FSB would not have some input into securing computer usage at this highest of levels is somewhat naive. The Linux distribution remark is also worth noting as "the Russians have an inherent mistrust of Microsoft, as they see it feeding the US intelligence machinery," Ingram says. Indeed, they are "in the process of rolling out their own Linux based operating system and Putin has ordered greater controls over Internet use in Russia," says Ingram.

We should also bear in mind, according to Ingram, that at this level, "the Russians don’t routinely have their systems connected to the internet," which means "even for an unpatched system, if it is air-gapped, the risks are much lower." Thornton-Trump agrees and says that the idea that Windows XP has to be an insecure option is wrong. "With a defense in depth approach, and system hardening work, Windows XP can be a very tough nut to crack,"

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

"The Linux distribution remark is also worth noting as "the Russians have an inherent mistrust of Microsoft, as they see it feeding the US intelligence machinery," Ingram says. Indeed, they are "in the process of rolling out their own Linux based operating system and Putin has ordered greater controls over Internet use in Russia," says Ingram."

I agree with this one.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.