Troubleshoot VM and windows updates

Why does windows updates always take forever in a VM?

I create VMs all the time. And I have observed that Windows Updates can misbehave badly inside a VM. It doesn't help that Windows Updates can be very flaky when not using a VM. The issue between Windows Updates and VMs is indeterminate. If you look on both the VMWare and Virtual Box support forums, then you will find people reporting a whole range of issues. I have yet to find any solution provided on either product support forum that solves the issue. And the reason - which is not stated - is that Windows Update issues are considered a Microsoft problem and not a VM product problem. They treat Windows Update issue reports the same as networking issues - unless a reported problem is explicitly a VM product problem, no solution will be provided except for general nonsense.

You can solve the Windows Update problems by using:

1. WSUSOffline - provides only critical and important updates (no recommended or optional updates)
2. Portable Update - provides all critical, important, and recommended updates (no optional updates)

WSUSOffline is truly an offline installer
Portable Update works best with an active network in the VM, but without Windows Update enabled (you have to disable WU in W8.1 and W10)

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.