VMWare and VirtualBox installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeffeD

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
I've been wanting to do some testing with VirtualBox.

Things like, how well does it load a VM that was created with VMWare, and how different do the same applications (or OS) run in the different virtual environments. The easiest way to do this would be a bit of a side-by-side comparison. Basically, open up a VM in one application and try some things, then open up an identical VM in the other application and try the same things.

I was just curious if anyone has had any experience with having the two applications installed on a host machine at the same time. I know they each set up a virtual network adapter, so I was wondering if the two may conflict, or if there are any configuration issues that I need to watch out for.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
What I do is I have both installed and when I want to use Virtual Box for instance I turn off the VMware Network adapters and vice verser I turn off the Virtual Box network adapter when using VMware.

HeffeD

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
Just an FYI in case anyone else is curious about this, I did as McLovin suggested and would turn off whichever network adapter I wasn't using when going back and forth between virtual environments.

Then I decided to see what would happen if I just left them both on. No problems whatsoever. :)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I'm glad that it it didn't have any problems what so ever. Now that I know that some one has found that it does not conflict I could leave both of the network adapters.

Thanks HeffeD

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Problems can appear if you run several virtual machines from virtualbox and VMWare at the same time, especially if you use Intel VT-x or AMD-V. But they can be installed in parallel. (According to the red warning here - virtualbox online manual)

HeffeD

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 28, 2011
Thanks for that info, Bogdan!

I've never attempted to run a machine in each product at the same time, but I can see how that could cause problems.

I haven't had any issues with a parallel installation. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.