Advice Request VMWARE - Guest VM Isolation with internet access

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Help Me

Thread author
Apr 3, 2023
Currently using VMWare Workststation 17 and want to setup a Guest VM that has internet access but also completely isolated from the Host. I don’t want any malware or viruses to be able to spread from the guest to the host.

Can anyone recommend me how to set it up or what I need to use or do to achieve this?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Currently using VMWare Workststation 17 and want to setup a Guest VM that has internet access but also completely isolated from the Host. I don’t want any malware or viruses to be able to spread from the guest to the host.

Can anyone recommend me how to set it up or what I need to use or do to achieve this?
To achieve complete isolation of a Guest VM from the Host system while still providing internet access, you can follow these steps:

1. Create a new VM in VMWare Workstation with the desired operating system.
2. In the VM settings, go to the Network Adapter section.
3. Change the network adapter's connection type to "Host-only".
4. If you have not already done so, configure the host-only network adapter by going to Virtual Network Editor and setting up a private network for the VMs.
5. In the VM's network adapter settings, set the IP configuration to use a static IP address that is unique to the host-only network adapter.
6. Configure the default gateway, DNS servers, and subnet mask for the network adapter to allow internet access. You can do this by setting the default gateway to the IP address of your physical router and configuring the DNS server addresses to the same DNS servers as your physical host system.
7. Disable any sharing or file and printer sharing services on the virtual machine.
8. Install antivirus software and regularly scan the Guest VM to prevent malware or viruses from spreading to the host.

By using a host-only network adapter and configuring the IP address and network settings, you create a private network between the host and virtual machine that is separate from other networks on your system. This ensures that the Guest VM is completely isolated from the host and other networks while still maintaining internet access.

Reactions: Zero Knowledge

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.