VMware is Slow. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ng4ever

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Why is a virtual machine so slow with VMware ? I am using the latest version.

Just that windows updates on Windows 10 in the virtual machine take forever.

Here are my system specs:

i5 2500k @ 4 Ghz
8 GB of DDR3 ram (only ever use 2 to 3 GB anyway with about 5 GB total with VM running)

My main pc is fast.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Why is a virtual machine so slow with VMware ? I am using the latest version.

Just that windows updates on Windows 10 in the virtual machine take forever.

Here are my system specs:

i5 2500k @ 4 Ghz
8 GB of DDR3 ram (only ever use 2 to 3 GB anyway with about 5 GB total with VM running)

My main pc is fast.
You should probally only have the VM to have 2 gb (default) Even though you may think your not using much RAM is still good not to use all of it at once.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Remember that even though you assigned a sufficient amount of RAM, it will depends on the resource usage especially the cores which primary assigned to handle those heavy tasks.

Better use VM alone without any other programs running.

DC47561

Level 3
Verified
Feb 3, 2017
I agree with James. My personal recommendation would be to have a maximum of 6GB out of 8 or 66% of total ram reserved by the host. I would also set the power plan on the machine to high performance (unless you already have!)

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
D

Deleted member 2913

Does VMware have many processes And processes are running even even when VMware is not in use?

DC47561

Level 3
Verified
Feb 3, 2017
VMWare has 5 processes which are the following that run all the time (listed below):

vmnat.exe
vmnetdhcp.exe
vmware-authd.exe
vmware-hostd.exe
vmware-usbarbitrator64.exe

All running on my system: - current usage negligible - 26-27mb

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
D

Deleted member 2913

VMWare has 5 processes which are the following that run all the time (listed below):

vmnat.exe
vmnetdhcp.exe
vmware-authd.exe
vmware-hostd.exe
vmware-usbarbitrator64.exe

All running on my system: - current usage negligible - 26-27mb
Same number of processes for VMware Workstation Pro?

D

Deleted member 2913

I have app 46 GB free in my C Partition & app 219 GB in D Partition...Win 10 64 Pro
How do I go with this if I install VMware Workstation Pro?

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
I've been using VMware Workstation Pro for years and the performance on my machine is excellent. More RAM is the key to running VMs. Having the VMs run off SSD storage helps hugely as well.

Reactions: ng4ever

Malware Person

Level 4
Verified
Jun 8, 2016
install the VMware tools once in your guest operating system. Also, when creating a virtual machine, don't choose Dynamically allocated for disk size. use the default option. it makes it quicker. you can also allocate more ram, though i don't recommend allocating more than half of your system's ram.

Malware Person

Level 4
Verified
Jun 8, 2016
virtual machines are also overall slower compared to if you actually installed it as the main OS on a computer, so you shouldn't be expecting high speeds when using a virtual machine

ng4ever

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
install the VMware tools once in your guest operating system. Also, when creating a virtual machine, don't choose Dynamically allocated for disk size. use the default option. it makes it quicker. you can also allocate more ram, though i don't recommend allocating more than half of your system's ram.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.