Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

What's New​

• This release resolves CVE-2023-20854. For more information on this vulnerability and its impact on VMware products, see VMSA-2023-0003.
  • This release contains bug fixes.

Resolved Issues​

• Unable to connect USB devices to a virtual machine

After you create a virtual machine, you cannot connect a USB device to the virtual machine. The issue occurs because the default value of the usb.restrictions.defaultAllow option is configured to FALSE in the VMX configuration file when the virtual machine is created.

This issue is resolved.

• A host machine with Intel HD 4600 GPU might crash when you use a 3D-enabled virtual machine

When you power on a 3D-enabled virtual machine on a host with Intel HD 4600 GPU, the host machine might crash.

This issue is resolved.

• When you change the secure boot setting in a virtual machine, the Virtualization engine settings change

In the Virtual Machine Settings, when you enable or disable secure boot, the following settings under the Virtualization enginechange:
    • Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI
    • Virtualize IOMMU (IO memory management unit)

This issue is resolved.

• After you upgrade Workstation Pro, if you change the hardware compatibility of the virtual machine, Workstation Pro crashes

After you upgrade Workstation Pro to version 17.0 and change the hardware compatibility of an existing virtual machine to the latest version, Workstation Pro crashes when you try to edit the virtual machine settings.

This issue is resolved.

Known Issues​

• On a Windows 11 host machine, you cannot ping the IPv6 address successfully from a Windows 11 guest machine with the Wireless Bridge mode enabled.

When a virtual machine is connected through the Wireless Bridge mode, any IPv6 address outside the host machine is unreachable. The IPv6 address is reachable when connected through Wired mode. In Wireless mode, you can only ping the host IPv6 address successfully.

Workaround:
    • When you use Wireless Bridge mode, manually set the NDP neighbor address at both ends using NetShell.

For example, netsh interface ipv6 set neighbors “Interface-name” <IPV6 Address> <MAC address>
    • Use the Wired mode for IPv6 or enable the IPv6 support in NAT mode.

Source: VMware Workstation 17.0.1 Pro Release Notes | VMware Workstation 17.0.1 Player Release Notes

Download: VMware Workstation Pro | VMware Workstation Player

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I'm debating myself if I should upgrade from 16.2.5 Pro to 17 Pro, ie, is it worth the cost of upgrading? Eg, I notice in the Hub, it looks like most testers continue to use 16 and so far only @silversurfer is using 17. I think the upgrade cost for me is $99US. 16.2.5 Pro is working well for me on win10 host, would appreciate your thoughts.

Reactions: Zero Knowledge
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

I'm debating myself if I should upgrade from 16.2.5 Pro to 17 Pro, ie, is it worth the cost of upgrading? Eg, I notice in the Hub, it looks like most testers continue to use 16 and so far only @silversurfer is using 17. I think the upgrade cost for me is $99US. 16.2.5 Pro is working well for me on win10 host, would appreciate your thoughts.
CVE fixes and some new features in 17.

If you wait until version 18, I am not sure what VMWare's upgrade policy is whenever the user skips a version. You might want to ask VMWare support that question. At current prices, and assuming they stay the same over the next 3 or 4 years, it will cost you $199 ($10 more) if you end up having to pay for the full version 18 license, instead of the upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Personally, I would upgrade. $99 is a decent price for upgrade software like VMW. Regular price is what? A lot more than $99.
I had a previous version before 16 but let it lapse, so don't recall that price, so I bought 16 Pro in 2022 and I think it was $199 + 50 for support, so ~$250. For me the cost of VMw support was worth it, as I did need it a few times, and they know their software and and go out of their way to fix issues even when user error! For me, when VMw tweaked correctly is is as fast as hardware host! Meanwhile Player is free IIRC. I'm just not sure what benefit I will see with 17. If my hardware was newer, it would probably benefit from 17. CPU & motherboard are about +6 years, so that's my next big expense, just not sure when...

Reactions: Zero Knowledge

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.