Not open for further replies.

Solarquest

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Which one would you recommend to protect your pc/laptop against 0-day/new malware as in the wild ones? Would you use it alone or with another AV/IS?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
They have a bit difference where SecureAplus provides universal AV besides of whitelisting/blocklisting feature while VoodoShield primarily aims to be User Account Control style but with whitelisting for exceptions.

Actually it depends on the user preference, normally more experience users wanted to add a layer of protection however if an IS is installed then primarily not needed.

Reactions: Solarquest

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
Both give the same level of protection, and almost the same system impact (very light). However, their implementation details are very different, and it would depend on you to decide which is more user friendly. I suggest you read the following links on how each software works and decide for yourself.
SecureAPlus
https://secureaplus.secureage.com/Main/secureaplus_unique.php
https://secureaplus.secureage.com/Main/secureaplus.php

Voodooshield
http://voodooshield.com/HowItWorks/
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2422274,00.asp

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Voodooshield just prevents you from installing programmes without knowing it. If you want to install the programme you would have to allow it. (take it as a default deny) But if you really want to install that particular programme Voodooshield would be unable to protect you because it doesn't have as good as a HIPS as a normal AV.

SecureAplus on the other hand uses signatures of 12 AVs through the cloud (a lot like herd protect) and gives you real time protection. It won't inform you every time you are going to install a programme but you don't have to deactivate it every time you want to install a programme and it has a better detection of malicious software than Voodooshield would ever have just because it's using 12 AV signatures.

I would think that SecureAplus is more for a normal user whereas Voodooshield is for someone who knows exactly what a programme does and if it is safe just by looking at the source.

Reactions: Solarquest

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Voodooshield just prevents you from installing programmes without knowing it. If you want to install the programme you would have to allow it. (take it as a default deny) But if you really want to install that particular programme Voodooshield would be unable to protect you because it doesn't have as good as a HIPS as a normal AV.

SecureAplus on the other hand uses signatures of 12 AVs through the cloud (a lot like herd protect) and gives you real time protection. It won't inform you every time you are going to install a programme but you don't have to deactivate it every time you want to install a programme and it has a better detection of malicious software than Voodooshield would ever have just because it's using 12 AV signatures.

I would think that SecureAplus is more for a normal user whereas Voodooshield is for someone who knows exactly what a programme does and if it is safe just by looking at the source.
VS actually has the ability to:
1. Consult a file with VirusTotal which consults many AVs.
2. Windows' own way of implementing sandbox. You could choose to run a program inside a sandbox.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
VS actually has the ability to:
1. Consult a file with VirusTotal which consults many AVs.
2. Windows' own way of implementing sandbox. You could choose to run a program inside a sandbox.
Ahh thats interesting, didn't know, thanks!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@nastavnikhe: Its a blacklisting/whitelisting hardening protection where you can configure it to access the privilege only based on available configuration, does not provide AV detection nor information if its a threat.

Differ from SecureAplus and Vodooshield that adds detection as information to be known a malicious threat.

Reactions: nastavnikhe

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
I think those programs work differently. voodooshield act similar to shadow defender

this quote taken from their website
When VoodooShield automatically toggles to ON Mode, it takes a snapshot of the currently running software, and automatically allows everything in this snapshot. VoodooShield also automatically allows currently installed software and specific critical Windows system files. Any software that was not allowed when VoodooShield was OFF is blocked.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
I think those programs work differently. voodooshield act similar to shadow defender

this quote taken from their website
When VoodooShield automatically toggles to ON Mode, it takes a snapshot of the currently running software, and automatically allows everything in this snapshot. VoodooShield also automatically allows currently installed software and specific critical Windows system files. Any software that was not allowed when VoodooShield was OFF is blocked.
I have been using Shadow Defender for a year and Voodooshield for some months and I could say that they work very differently.
Voodooshield is an anti-executable based on whitelisting, while ShadowDefender is a system-wide virtualization. Your quote from VoodooShield's website is clearly supporting my statement.

Reactions: bunchuu and frogboy

bunchuu

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
I have been using Shadow Defender for a year and Voodooshield for some months and I could say that they work very differently.
Voodooshield is an anti-executable based on whitelisting, while ShadowDefender is a system-wide virtualization. Your quote from VoodooShield's website is clearly supporting my statement.

Thanks for information, I only try shadow defender before this information.

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
I'm using Voodoo Shield right now I really like it. I'm using the free version which works just fine. Voodoo Shield is doing a great job in protecting my browser. It blocks, scans. So Far it's a keeper.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
I'm using Voodoo Shield right now I really like it. I'm using the free version which works just fine. Voodoo Shield is doing a great job in protecting my browser. It blocks, scans. So Far it's a keeper.
VS is really good and easy to use :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.