danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
As far as I am aware, Winget is baked into the OS. It's not something I manually added.
I am not at all familiar with winget, but it is installed on my system too. I was reading a little about it here...

You might try to change the installation path to program files, that would probably fix the issue. Thank you!

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
It's in this location when it runs C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\winget.exe
Very interesting, that is where mine is as well, thanks for the info. I can see where this would be a very useful utility... you could just write a simply custom batch script to update all of your apps.

Does anyone know who maintains the list? VS is on the list but it is the 7.00 version, so I am curious how the list is updated. There seems to be a total of 3171 apps, and most of the important ones seem to be included.

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Very interesting, that is where mine is as well, thanks for the info. I can see where this would be a very useful utility... you could just write a simply custom batch script to update all of your apps.

Does anyone know who maintains the list? VS is on the list but it is the 7.00 version, so I am curious how the list is updated. There seems to be a total of 3171 apps, and most of the important ones seem to be included.

The "Windows Package Manager Community Repository" maintains the repo. So, I guess, Microsoft does.

Reactions: [correlate]

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
NPE detected Voodooshield as malware. Other scanners, Virustotal and Jotti's scanner don't detect it.

1646584468000.png

I filled in the Norton submission:

1646584571700.png

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
There are a couple of things you can try. What is the path of your winget install? If you change it to C:\Program Files\Winget (or whatever), it will probably work better. Or you can try to add an Allow rule in VS.

Wait, how would I go about creating a VS rule for a single .exe file?

Reactions: Sorrento

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Mail from @danb :
Hey Guys,

Here is the latest VS! There were a couple of small bug fixes…
  1. The auto update was not working properly, but it is fixed now.
  2. The WLC tray icon did not always display the correct text when the mouse hovered
  3. The Allow False Positive confirmation prompt needed to be top most

But by far the biggest bug fix is one where VS would slow down certain processes (some windows processes and web apps) while they were launched because of a bug. It is fixed now, and VS should be super fast and light on all systems. Some users might not notice a difference if VS was already super fast, but if VS seemed to slow your system down a little on previous versions, then I bet you will notice a big difference.

VS 7.02

https://voodooshield.com/Download/InstallVoodooShield702.exe

SHA-256: 04ef1ccdc570eeacbd29de801c3a415046c1dc4dd705fafd32517552686c4cea

Thank you guys!

Dan

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Another mail form @danb :
Hey Guys,

Sorry, I need to clarify about the auto upgrade bug. There was a bug in 7.00 and 7.01 that broke the auto update, but it is fixed in 7.02. So after 7.02 is installed, the auto update will start working again.

To upgrade to 7.02, please exit out of VS and install 7.02.

VS 7.02

SHA-256: 04ef1ccdc570eeacbd29de801c3a415046c1dc4dd705fafd32517552686c4cea

Thank you!

Dan

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
You can set the service to Delayed Start, but the VoodooShieldService will still start pretty quick, so this probably will not help.

This should be an easy fix though. Can you please reproduce the block (by restarting your machine), then send me the C:\ProgramData\VoodooShield\DeveloperLog.log file? One other VS user had a similar VPN issue today and they fixed it by doing a clean install of VS, so that might help as well. If you do a clean install, just make sure you click Yes when VS asks if you want to delete the settings and logs. Thank you!

Early days, but the update to version 7.02 appears to have resolved the conflict with F-Secure Freedome upon Windows startup.... which is great news!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.