On Sale! VoodooShield Black Friday Special, 50% OFF!

Disclaimer: We cannot guarantee that all promo codes will remain active. Some offers have a short validation period and expire.

Promo page
https://voodooshield.com/
Event start
Nov 24, 2022
How to get a license
"VoodooShield is not based on signatures or behavioral analysis, so it can be installed next to another anti-virus. VoodooShield can completely replace traditional anti-virus software, far outweighing the effectiveness of protection available in this ranking of security solutions.”

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
"VoodooShield is not based on signatures or behavioral analysis, so it can be installed next to another anti-virus. VoodooShield can completely replace traditional anti-virus software, far outweighing the effectiveness of protection available in this ranking of security solutions.”

Not sure how to parse the 2 above sentences. Could be me but I"ve been beta tester since VS v2 if not earlier and don't recall Dan calling VS an anti-virus, and with the following sentence "completely replace traditional anti-virus software." Perhaps?? But don't recall Dan making that assertion in the past?? Who is running VS without an av? I for one run VS with an av, and have been for several years. I have seen my av catch malware before any notification from VS, fwiw. On VS website I don't see a reference to running VS without an av, but do see "VoodooShield works great with all common traditional and next-gen antivirus software, including Microsoft Defender. VoodooShield was specifically designed to complement your traditional or next-gen antivirus." Suggest you buy VS especially at 50% off, but also to run it with av of your choice.

bellgamin

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
I currently run VS WITH an Antivirus (AV). However, at times I have gone into a "NO AV" mode. I have seen forum posts whereby I know that others have done this, and some are still doing this.

In my case, the real-time security I used consisted of VS & Spyshelter (SS). Also, I imaged my system 3-4 times weekly, using an external drive for storage of the images. Also, I did weekly on-demand scans with Kaspersky's KVRT app.

During nearly 2 years in NO AV mode, on several occasions I had to block an app in response an alert popped up by either VS or SS or both. KVRT always reported my computer as clean so I never had to restore an image because of an infection.

I added K7, a patrolling AV, to my real-time security several months ago. Why? Because my computer's RAM & CPU barely noticed the difference with K7 aboard, so ---- why not?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IMO, most folks (me included) who tell a forum that they are in NO AV mode are doing so in order to report that they haven't had an infection in X number of years. These anecdotal posts are true, I'm sure, but they could be the result of EITHER (a) good luck, OR (b) a knowledgeable user who knows how to keep out of trouble.

It would be altogether lovely if @Shadowra or some other testing guru would test a NO AV mode, inclusive (of course) of VS, hardening, user control, etc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NOTE: I'm sure that Dan, in wording the announcement of this offer, did not intend it to flatly recommend against using an AV+VS combination. IMO, AV+VS is a near-bulletproof security combo whereas NO AV mode could be a somewhat risky set-up for average home computer users.

==>Running in NO AV mode is something I might do myself but I would NEVER recommend it to family or friends.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I currently run VS WITH an Antivirus (AV). However, at times I have gone into a "NO AV" mode. I have seen forum posts whereby I know that others have done this, and some are still doing this.

In my case, the real-time security I used consisted of VS & Spyshelter (SS). Also, I imaged my system 3-4 times weekly, using an external drive for storage of the images. Also, I did weekly on-demand scans with Kaspersky's KVRT app. During nearly 2 years in NO AV mode, I had to block several alerts popped up by either VS or SS or both. KVRT always reported my computer as clean so I never had to restore an image because of an infection.

I added K7, a patrolling AV, to my real-time security several months ago. Why? Because my computer's RAM & CPU barely noticed the difference with K7 aboard, so ---- why not?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IMO, most folks (me included) who tell a forum that they are in NO AV mode are doing so in order to report that they haven't had an infection in X number of years. These anecdotal posts are true, I'm sure, but they could be the result of EITHER (a) good luck, OR (b) a knowledgeable user who knows how to keep out of trouble.

It would be altogether lovely if @Shadowra or some other testing guru would test a NO AV mode, inclusive (of course) of VS, hardening, user control, etc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NOTE: I'm sure that Dan, in wording the announcement of this offer, did not intend it to flatly recommend against using an AV+VS combination. IMO, AV+VS is a near-bulletproof security combo whereas NO AV mode could be a somewhat risky set-up for average home computer users.

==>Running in NO AV mode is something I might do myself but I would NEVER recommend it to family or friends.
yes, it would be interesting to see Shadowra test VS with no av. I concur with all you say above. Good info!

Edit I vaguely recall cruelsister tested VS, with a good recommendation, but don't recall when or where she posted it.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I have seen my av catch malware before any notification from VS, fwiw.
Yes because static analysis made by AV's signatures. Your antivirus scans file on execution, on creation and on modification, therefore accesses the file prior to VoodooShield, an anti-executable that will not make a static scan of the file on creation, but will on execution, since it checks the hash with several AV engines, if it still works the way I remember.

An anti-exe can definitely replace your standard antivirus solution, if you're an experienced user. Nevertheless I would suggest new users or people without the correct technical knowledge to do this, since they will probably just end up allowing all files to run upon request by VS and end up infected.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
yes, it would be interesting to see Shadowra test VS with no av. I concur with all you say above. Good info!

Edit I vaguely recall cruelsister tested VS, with a good recommendation, but don't recall when or where she posted it.

I already did it but the test is a bit old :)
I might do one again of course

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
VoodooShield, an anti-executable that will not make a static scan of the file on creation, but will on execution, since it checks the hash with several AV engines, if it still works the way I remember
FYI: VS no longer uses multi-AV engines, but rather Dans' WhitelistCloud file lookup, but otherwise you're correct, my friend. Good to see you again, BTW!:cool:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
&

first was Oct 2021 & Jan 2022 this 2d test appears to have passed everything with v7.0, although she notes it is not an av. interesting. It even detected 10/10 malware URL. This test seems recent enough not to have to do it again. :D

Last edited:

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
I already did it but the test is a bit old :)
I might do one again of course
Then please also test for FP on VS and make sure what's counted as a block. Because legit software that is labeled as "suspicious" is more like a FP than a block of malware (at least in my mind).
E.g VS always flags the uninstall.bat of Q-Dir as unsafe when you update it (on smart mode or so). I hope you understand what I mean with my rambling :D
edit: for typos

Last edited:

Andrezj

Level 6
Nov 21, 2022
An anti-exe can definitely replace your standard antivirus solution, if you're an experienced user. Nevertheless I would suggest new users or people without the correct technical knowledge to do this, since they will probably just end up allowing all files to run upon request by VS and end up infected.
accurate

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.