danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Enabling and using Windows Sandbox did not create an extra partition under This PC or Disk Management.

I haven't installed CL 7.65, but I won't use Windows Sandbox because it takes 15-20 seconds for it to open and stabilize on my HDD system. The changes I made to the OS settings in WS didn't stay as I expected.
Yeah, it probably would not be that fast on a HDD, but it is super fast on an SSD. It spins up in like 3 seconds on an SSD.

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Update CL Safe Browser (Windows Sandbox) I have a 3d-party antivirus registered on hardware win10, so MS Defender is not only not running in sandbox, the normal "virus & threat protection" option is not even listed. So the obvious solution to sandbox security: install CyberLock, but on Sandbox_CL the UI Tweaks Enable Sandbox button is OFF, as is "Launch email client links..." I do have WhitelistCloud enabled and WLC scan duration 0.00 seconds (or that's what it says!) Best christmas present (other than all the kiddos are home this year :D)
Very cool, hopefully I can figure out why CyberLock is not running in Windows Sandbox yet. You really do not need it in Windows Sandbox, but it should be fixed either way.

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
UPDATE: I open CL Safe Browser which opens in Windows Sandbox, downloaded and installed keepass to store the login info for a webmail I'm using and so now I "easily" check email in WinSandbox browser and any clicked links open in the sandbox. so ok :) sure if I close the sandbox, then I have to redo keepass again, but I often keep windows open for days+++ anyway, unless something requires a forced reboot. so playing with this. Meanwhile I do have VMware VM running and visible on 2d monitor.
@danb how SECURE is the Windows Sandbox?

Edit: update see link for short discussion with comments re Windows Sandbox security
Windows Sandbox should be pretty darn secure and CyberLock hardens Windows Sandbox in a couple of different ways. There probably is a way to escape the Windows Sandbox, but I think it would be difficult. Either way, opening an unknown file or link is much safer in Windows Sandbox than running it on your machine. Having said that, I probably would not use Windows Sandbox for malware testing until we know exactly how secure it is.

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Ahhhh, I found this: The next major update should hide PortableBaseLayer, even if Windows Sandbox is enabled. In the meantime, Sandbox users will appear to have an invisible virtual hard drive attached to their machine.

found here: What is the PortableBaseLayer drive in Windows 10? - OnMSFT.com

So, I'm going to stop looking.
Acadia
Thank you for researching this! Yeah, Windows Sandbox creates a virtual hard drive, just like all of the other VM software, but it does not create a new partition on the drive.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I do not think Windows Sandbox has Microsoft Defender installed, probably because it does not need it and would just slow it down. It probably does not need any kind of AV. BTW, for now CyberLock and DefenderUI do not work in Windows Sandbox, there is a small bug between the gui and the service. It should be something simple and I will find a fix for it soon. Even after they are fixed, CyberLock should work fine in Windows Sandbox, but DefenderUI probably will not because I do not think Microsoft Defender is active in Windows Sandbox.
Yes I find Windows Sandbox feature(s) VERY NICE and solid on my hardware win10. fwiw, I was messing around last night and "installed" CL 7.65 in its WinSandbox but that became "unstable" and deleted CL in its Sandbox. (all christmas visitors went to bed and I was bored installing and uninstalling apps in Sandbox). Then closed the WinSandbox, which deleted everything. Pretty sure I did not run CL WinSandbox in VMware VM... but I do have CL 7.65 running ok in win10_VM but with Sandbox disabled.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
@simmerskool
My goodness! Did your family see you at all during Christmas or did you just play with CL? ;)
actually, more than usual! Plus we had all the kids and 2/3 of grandkids here, unusual as oldest travels for work between Texas Nevada and South Korea. My series of CL posts was after they went to bed. :D

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
CyberLock is absolutely designed as business software and to protect business endpoints.

Almost all CyberLock business users do not even realize that CyberLock has adjustable settings. All they see is a user-friendly toggling desktop shield gadget that is protecting them whenever they are about to click on something they are unsure of.
As someone looking from the outside in, thank you for that clarification, danb. It just confirms for me what I use, don't use, and why :)

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
For now this option only works for email clients. We might be able to add this feature to web browsers, but the user would have to manually set the URL for their web mail, so that CyberLock would know what to protect.
yes, I for one would like the email Sandbox feature(s) to work with the browser -- manually if necessary. (will skip my rant about email clients)

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Very cool, hopefully I can figure out why CyberLock is not running in Windows Sandbox yet. You really do not need it in Windows Sandbox, but it should be fixed either way.
I think I was able to install CL in <its> Windows Sandbox, and it worked until it seemed to get unstable. But not a controlled environment last night. I was trying all kinds of stuff, so much so that I stopped keeping notes -- why, just close Sandbox and whatever, it all disappears. :D

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Did a little more CL Windows Sandbox testing tonight. Dan confirmed here & by email that currently CL launch email client link in Sandbox is not working when using Edge (browser) to read webmail. So, I setup win10 Mail client, but for me this CL email feature is not working with Mail either. First use of Mail and perhaps it is too much like a browser? I tried it both with [Ask] & with [ON] -- and the links are opened in Edge (default browser) but NOT in the Sandbox. @danb post above he says he has tested it with Outlook and it works aok, but not sure if he means Office Outlook or the new Outlook. My email provider suggested to use Thunderbird, and if Sandbox works with Thunderbird, that could happen here, although a long long time ago, Thunderbird ate (lost -- whatever however) all my email. Other Sandbox features working aok here. What email clients are folks successfully using with CL email Sandbox... :unsure:

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
@simmerskool If the win 10 "new" outlook is the same as the win 11 one it's more of a cloudsevice than an emailprogram. If it counts as an store app it may also not be sandboxable at all.
Not using any of it just guess from information snippets I read somewhere. As long as you use imap (NOT pop3) thunderbird shouldn't lose your emails (I used it with sandboxie for years).

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
@simmerskool If the win 10 "new" outlook is the same as the win 11 one it's more of a cloudsevice than an emailprogram. If it counts as an store app it may also not be sandboxable at all.
Not using any of it just guess from information snippets I read somewhere. As long as you use imap (NOT pop3) thunderbird shouldn't lose your emails (I used it with sandboxie for years).
I was thinking the same thing as win10 Mail "client" and new Outlook more of cloudservice (aka browser?) than an email client. Waiting for Dan to comment, but yes Thunderbird may be next... Thanks!!

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
As long as you chose imap you shouldn't have problems with thunderbird. I ran it for years in an auto delete sandboxie sandbox. Mails still there. Pop3 and auto delete on the other hand would be only good if you always wanted an empty email postbox :D

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Thunderbird works with CL/Windows Sandbox.
I have been using Thunderbird for many, many years and have never lost any emails.
Great feedback, good to know TB works with CL WinSandbox!!! I'll try new_ish TB after some coffee, but may still wait to see what Dan has to say about new_Outlook. I assume he had been using / testing with MS Outlook 365 or whatever it is called.
PS I just a REALLY ODD experience with Mail / new_Outlook this morning related to isolation between hardware win10 & VMware win10_VM... Probably needs to be in different forum.

Reactions: [correlate]

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Thunderbird works with CL/Windows Sandbox.
I have been using Thunderbird for many, many years and have never lost any emails.
@Oldie1950 on your Thunderbird that's working with CL Sandbox, is TB configured for imap or pop3? I need to use it with imap and wonder if it will work correctly, ie, if imap is considered more cloudbased and therefore not work correctly with CL Sandbox...?? :unsure:

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hey guys, sorry, I have several emails and post to catch up on, and I hope to be able to do that soon. Here is a version that should fix most of the small issues some people were having with the "Launch email client links in Protected Windows Sandbox" feature, hopefully the changes did not make one of the already working email clients not work perfectly, if so please let me know.

These issues are super easy to fix, but I need to configure and test each email client and tweak them so they each work perfectly. I tried the Windows Mail app, and I think I pretty much got it working, but it automatically upgraded to the Olk.exe version of Outlook, so I was unable to test it further for now. So we need to decide what to do about the Mail app and adjust the code accordingly. But either way, this stuff is super easy to tweak and fix now, the longest part is installing and configuring an email address for each email client.

If you guys have any url's or email clients that are not working perfectly, please let me know, thank you guys!

CyberLock 7.66
SHA-256: e45659374daa60b7f47be8f53cecf6d39fdd3d115181de6908dab86a68c1cb79

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Hey guys, sorry, I have several emails and post to catch up on, and I hope to be able to do that soon. Here is a version that should fix most of the small issues some people were having with the "Launch email client links in Protected Windows Sandbox" feature, hopefully the changes did not make one of the already working email clients not work perfectly, if so please let me know.

These issues are super easy to fix, but I need to configure and test each email client and tweak them so they each work perfectly. I tried the Windows Mail app, and I think I pretty much got it working, but it automatically upgraded to the Olk.exe version of Outlook, so I was unable to test it further for now. So we need to decide what to do about the Mail app and adjust the code accordingly. But either way, this stuff is super easy to tweak and fix now, the longest part is installing and configuring an email address for each email client.

If you guys have any url's or email clients that are not working perfectly, please let me know, thank you guys!

CyberLock 7.66
SHA-256: e45659374daa60b7f47be8f53cecf6d39fdd3d115181de6908dab86a68c1cb79
yes ths morning my Windows Mail "client" had automatically "upgraded" to new_outlook, but it could not login to my mail server as it has unique passkey which worked with Mail but not with new_outlook. Will fix that. Oldie1950 says Thunderbird is working ok too, and my email provider recommended TB, but I somewhat prefer being harmonious with MS Windows OS...

Reactions: danb

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
yes ths morning my Windows Mail "client" had automatically "upgraded" to new_outlook, but it could not login to my mail server as it has unique passkey which worked with Mail but not with new_outlook. Will fix that. Oldie1950 says Thunderbird is working ok too, and my email provider recommended TB, but I somewhat prefer being harmonious with MS Windows OS...
Yeah, the timing for the automatic upgrade could not be more perfect ;).

Thunderbird should still work with but you might get the following message.

message.png

If anyone does get a message like this, please post or email me the message, along with which email client you are using, and it will be fixed for the next version.

I really need to spend a few hours and install each email client and tweak them so they all work properly. I just have not had a chance to do so.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.