Advice Request VoodooShield Free version or Comodo Free Firewall 10

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which is better: VoodooShield free version, or Comodo Free Firewall 10 at CruelSister settings?

• VoodooShield free version

Votes: 35 40.2%
  • Comodo Free Firewall 10 at CruelSister settings

Votes: 37 42.5%
  • Both, in combo

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Default/deny solutions are not for me

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I hate polls

Votes: 6 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I voted neither, because Windows basically now offers lock down settings.

But between CFW and VS........VS

VS blocks before .exe so no resetting sandbox after you've already been scared to death.

And VS only uses like 30mb of Ram

+ No complex settings requirements
Which version of Windows are you referring to? Win 10 Home, Pro, Enterprise or Education?

Compare Windows 10 Editions & Versions | Home & Pro

Lock down Windows 10 to specific apps (Windows 10)

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
In VS case if the file is not in its cloud or if its Ai cannot be conclusive then user has to make the decision either to run or not to run.

In CFW you can be sure you are safe(almost) if you run inside its sandbox. Don't need the user to crack his head to make that decision to allow/deny.
VS uses VT not it's "cloud".
maybe people should learn not to be trigger happy and when a security software says it's not safe, don't run it...

Rengar

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
CFW is more feature-rich, that is clear. It is also more customizable.
But VS has the advantage that it is not prone to major security failures, like when Comodo cloud lookup occasionally whitelists known malware.
Thats why you disable cloud lookup :D:p

Reactions: AtlBo and frogboy

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Anti-pup are for happy clickers, no sane user will allow unwanted things lol

VS was designed for noobs first.
Comodo for advanced ones.
@Umbra, I am not sure you understood the poll. This poll compares VS free with CFW at CS settings. They are equally "noobish", in my opinion.

Besides that, there are plenty of advanced and knowledgeable users who use VS in their security config.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
It is pretty obvious that the more components taken on a product then the chances to make it better through configuration.

Comodo has firewall module besides on HIPS, Sandbox and Cloud scanner so you are protected in different ways not only on typical execution of a program.

------------------

They may look similar because of certain components however it will not consider the same product.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I think VS is more suitable for moderate users, not noobs while CF with CS's setup is for moderately advanced users or up
I don't think moderate users or novices can deal with problems CF can cause. For example, unblocking apps, unexpected app functional breaking due to the restricted sandbox rules, bugs, firewall rules,...

It took me a week to find out CF was the cause that made my streaming app not receive data although CF was in training mode and created a rule automatically for the app. The rule created by the training mode was not opened enough for it to fully functioning

IMO, VS in autopilot is suitable for more users

D

Deleted member 178

@Umbra, I am not sure you understood the poll. This poll compares VS free with CFW at CS settings. They are equally "noobish", in my opinion.
Besides that, there are plenty of advanced and knowledgeable users who use VS in their security config.
Comodo was and will never be for noobs ever, CS' settings can't even be understood by noobs.
I don't talk about if advanced users uses VS or not, i said it was designed for noobs.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Comodo was and will never be for noobs ever, CS' settings can't even be understood by noobs.
I don't talk about if advanced users uses VS or not, i said it was designed for noobs.
It's good that you and @Evjl's Rain pointed out to me that CFW, even at CS settings, is still not easy enough for noobs. I somehow thought it was, but I see I was wrong.

While VS was originally designed for noobs, and the dev still hopes to capture that audience, in reality it is used by intermediate users and above -- who are able to appreciate what it does.

D

Deleted member 178

It's good that you and @Evjl's Rain pointed out to me that CFW, even at CS settings, is still not easy enough for noobs. I somehow thought it was, but I see I was wrong.

While VS was originally designed for noobs, and the dev still hopes to capture that audience, in reality it is used by intermediate users and above -- who are able to appreciate what it does.
Because mostly forums members are aware of it and curious enough to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.