VoodooShield - Have you tried it? Would you recommended it?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date

Have you tried VoodooShield?

• Yes, I'm still using it

Votes: 64 45.4%
  • Yes, but I've uninstalled it

Votes: 35 24.8%
  • No, I have never tried VoodooShield

Votes: 35 24.8%
  • I will try it now!

Votes: 7 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
Dunno why some people knock it. It does what it's supposed to do and once you get the hang of it, it generally leaves you alone!:cool:
In fact, just today it blocked some command line script that I've never seen before and have no idea exactly what it does - looked like some kind of script thing. It's not affecting me and I'd rather VS kept stuff like that out - better safe than sorry:eek::p:p

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
Dunno why some people knock it. It does what it's supposed to do and once you get the hang of it, it generally leaves you alone!:cool:
In fact, just today it blocked some command line script that I've never seen before and have no idea exactly what it does - looked like some kind of script thing. It's not affecting me and I'd rather VS kept stuff like that out - better safe than sorry:eek::p:p

This is what fascinates me about VS and probably why I kept uninstalling it then 'missing' it and reinstalling it. The sense of security it gives you is palpable. You just know it's working hard for you. Also the icon, interface, help popup and website are all very well done. The DETAILED settings give the impression a lot of thought and testing went into it.

A bit of history on myself in regards to these types of apps... Many eons ago I was project lead/evangelist on what may have been the first Windows whitelisting application - that was at Stardock. I viewed it as groundbreaking in the age when viruses weren't nearly as big of a threat but I felt they would become one. Unfortunately the product didn't get approval for further development beyond beta - it was a lot like VS.. My second work was done as an engineer on a very early whitelisting program called 'SafeNSec', which exists today for govt., military, embedded system (like ATM) protection.. So there is a good chance when you use an ATM it's got a bit of my DNA in it. :p

What keeps me using VS is the 'what was that?' crap it prevents.. Many of us, probably a LOT of people here always want insight as to what their systems are doing, what is running and what is happening that they can't see.. It drives people like me insane and even moreso since the Hacker Deterrent fiasco where Trend itself was injected by something..

So day to day, VS 'flashes', your system keeps running fine.. Then deep in your brain it nags you.. 'Why did it flash?' and what was stopped that had absolutely zero impact on the function of my system? Then you look at the logs and think .. 'So, what the hell was XYZ doing running in a command prompt, powershell or whatever?'... The inevitable thought of 'glad VS is there' keeps coming up in your head to the point if you ever uninstall it you will constantly wonder what the hell you are missing!

So when VS flashes every 15 minutes on my wife's laptop and I find a Lenovo Management Program attempting to execute NETSH and other crap you know it's good to have around because really, why would a dumb hotkey manager need to probe my network every 15 minutes and look at all of the TCP/UDP connections? It doesn't and it shouldn't and Lenovo has been busted loading malware onto their systems from the factory..

It's good to have VS on your side IMO.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Pretty great software, as it does what it's supposed to, and I like it (but as I am using CFW w/ CS config I don't need it). I would recommend it to people like me (and some of my friends) who are into tech or eager to learn new things, but i definitely won't install on my father/sister's laptop, simply because it sometimes blocks legitimate programs from running. This would drive them mad and in return me (from their calls) :p

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
Pretty great software, as it does what it's supposed to, and I like it (but as I am using CFW w/ CS config I don't need it). I would recommend it to people like me (and some of my friends) who are into tech or eager to learn new things, but i definitely won't install on my father/sister's laptop, simply because it sometimes blocks legitimate programs from running. This would drive them mad and in return me (from their calls) :p

This is where whitelisting and the Pro version enhanced whitelisting comes in handy! Especially for people that are targeted and/or get hacked often.

I wiped my wife's laptop. Installed everything she uses. Put Forticlient (paid) on it. Then left VS running for 24 hours in training mode. I took a snapshot, then enhanced snapshot,set it to always on and walked away.. If anything else needs to run or be installed I want to know about it first as there should be no reason this is necessary.

It gets a little more complicated for my kids who install games and other crap. I'll give you that! But for me, a few hassles here and there is probably worth it.

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
I do not know am i already answered this,,,somewhere, but who cares.

Yes i have been testing it years and of course use it 1 pc all the time. Very decent product. And i admire Dev Dan the Man's of the dedication what he do for his "child", AWESOME!

We have talk many times in mail with possible fixes/solutions and what could be best and all time we have very impressive interaction.

I know, what is obvious, every product have their "fanboys" & "hateboys", and do not like dev behavior etc..blaa,blaa,blaa.. and we have talk that too, again my english writing skills shine, when i try middle of night wrote , as usual my offend spam.

But i give a lot of respect that man and his child, deep in my heart! Thanks Dan.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
VS is excellent software. As mentioned above add VS to even a mediocre AV and it's adds so much extra protection. The Dev is great too and very active on the forums.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
the interaction between dan and his following ( read users ) is what makes voodooshield a better and better product with each and every release. the occasional blocking of a legitimate program from time to time does not stop me from using this :)

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Thread author
I have just two days ago purchased the pro version,I had to so much you people are saying nothing but positive about it.
And i must say it is pretty awesome,thanks all of you:D

erreale

Level 9
Verified
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Oct 22, 2016
VS is a sublime, almost "magic" software. One of the best software I've ever tried. Dan, his developer is one of the most helpful people I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.