VoodooShield - Have you tried it? Would you recommended it?

Discussion in 'VoodooShield' started by Yash Khan, Jul 29, 2016.

?

Have you tried VoodooShield?

1. Yes, I'm still using it

60 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. Yes, but I've uninstalled it

33 vote(s)
    25.4%
  3. No, I have never tried VoodooShield

33 vote(s)
    25.4%
  4. I will try it now!

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. TheMalwareMaster

TheMalwareMaster Level 19
    Trusted

Jan 4, 2016
    Europe
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    FB_IMG_14699625471945081.jpg During avira installation.. Is this a false warning, or it shows this warning each time a program Is using a command line? The program Is in autopilot mode

2. shmu26

shmu26 Level 53

Jul 3, 2015
    Utopia
    this is normal behavior. It is recommended to switch to disable/install mode during installation, if you don't want to be pestered by those pop-ups. After you install, or uninstall, you will get a prompt a few minutes later, reminding you to turn your protection back on

3. Yash Khan

Yash Khan Level 51

Oct 22, 2012
    Why you say 'Blocked"?
    In no mode it blocks, but alerts i.e you dont have to go into the GUI to allow something but click alert & allow.

4. shmu26

shmu26 Level 53

Jul 3, 2015
    Utopia
    you are right. it blocks execution -- that's its proper function -- but you can just click the alert, like you said.

5. Hernán

Hernán Level 1

Sep 29, 2016
    Uruguay
    Hello!! what do you think of this?
    I´m using VoodooShield free and shadow defender...when something comes in...VS stops it... and at reboot...SD leave my OS as new.
    Another pc: with VS + Reboot and restore RX.

Any suggestions?

Kind regards, Hernán

6. shmu26

shmu26 Level 53

Jul 3, 2015
    Utopia
    Hi Hernan
    shadow defender is extremely close to undefeatable. It is very popular with malware testers.
    I am not familiar with restore RX, but I am sure that others are.

7. Hernán

Hernán Level 1

Sep 29, 2016
    Uruguay
    I have seen videos of "shadow defender" on youtube ... not really protect 100%, these videos are of many years (older versions), for that reason I installed VS ... to stop anything that comes in, VS is "Always on ".
    Reboot and restore RX besides being free, give me more "confidence" as well is that starts before windows. Shadow Defender and Reboot and restore serve the same purpose.
    But do not protect me when ...all your files have been encrypted and you ask for money in return. (in a non protected SD folder).
    I'm open to all suggestions.

Yash Khan and Logethica like this.
  8. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Nothing protect 100% but the latest versions protect the MBR so the only weakness known was eliminated.

Svoll, Andytay70, Yash Khan and 2 others like this.
  9. Hernán

Hernán Level 1

Sep 29, 2016
    Uruguay
    Look... I use both.... and yes... both protect mbr
    I´m always doing...experiments haha
    In SD at the moment you switch on the pc.... when windows starts...you shut down..power off... when power on again..windows starts to recover the system... BUT in Reboot and restore RX does not happen...
    I know SD and RRRX protect MBR, but only (for now) RRRX protect the right moment when windows starts to load

Svoll, shukla44 and Logethica like this.
  10. shmu26

shmu26 Level 53

Jul 3, 2015
    Utopia
    see this post
    https://malwaretips.com/threads/goznym-frankenstein-trojan-has-four-faces.63868/#post-547803
    and ask @hjlbx over there about your issue, he probably knows something about it.

Svoll, Sr. Normal 2.0, DardiM and 3 others like this.
  11. Exterminator

Exterminator Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 23, 2012
    USA
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
  12. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Those are good combos.

The disadvantage - if you consider it such - to using Shadow Defender to boot into Shadow Mode is that on-going soft updates are not committed. If you are using Shadow Defender on-demand then it is less of an issue.

Reboot Restore RX has the advantage of saving on-going updates, but they are discarded upon reboot. It is essentially the same as using Shadow Defender to boot into Shadow Mode.

The unsaved soft updates are not a real concern unless you do not update everything for a long while - a few weeks or more. Remember, AV signature updates are continual according to a schedule - but since VS doesn't use local signatures you don't have to worry about signature updates not being updated.

Make sense ?

13. Hernán

Hernán Level 1

Sep 29, 2016
    Uruguay
    Yes, you're right, the most common practice I do..often ... is when a cumulative update is released ... download it to an unprotected area or pendrive ... restart with Internet off, I leave the protection of shadow defend or RRRX, update and return to normal. The topic that VS does not depend on local updates like antivirus ... in my case is very important, I add another level of security ... in case RRRX or SD fail in some way.
    I´ve been using SD and RRRX for years ... since I got tired of Deep freeze ... and never had a problem ... but ...

Kind regard and sorry for my english.

Svoll, Andytay70, askmark and 3 others like this.
  14. Berny

Berny Level 2

Oct 14, 2016
    Europe
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    Great tool and concept but needs some improvements on detection level ...

Svoll, DardiM and Sr. Normal 2.0 like this.
  15. Sr. Normal 2.0

Sr. Normal 2.0 Level 5
    Trusted

Sep 14, 2016
    Talavera, España
    Windows 10
    Norton
    VS is a great soft, I use it depending of my firewall. If i use a firewall with HIPS or having a "paranoid mode" I do not use VS, however i use it with other firewalls that require less interaction from me.
    All that said, I think a very interesting soft for non-newbies

16. cp4eva

cp4eva Level 1

Nov 26, 2016
    TX
    I've tried it and would certainly recommend it.
    I've only uninstalled it to try other solutions (which I am always doing, it seems).
    I will put it on another machine of mine again, I'm sure.

17. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 21

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    I love it. I deployed it throughout my home. No issues so far except it can be daunting at times for some users here. For example installing a good many things is purely blocked so I need to sometimes whitelist. Not a big deal, once everything is setup for all of your users it should run by itself and take care of business.

What I find really cool is - on some systems the icon will flash.. No reason.. System is just sitting there! Then I check the logs and find some stupid background Lenovo process tried to run Netsh and other command line junk with literally no reason to ever do that. So I just let Voodoo work it's magic and forget about it and the machine runs perfectly fine..

Amazing program.

18. inuyasha

inuyasha Level 4

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    i highly recommend it. and im saying this based on just use of the free version!

19. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Level 8

Jan 17, 2013
    I would have to highly disagree with you. I've been beta testing it since the start. You obviously have no idea how it works. What exactly is "internet protection"? I've had a very good relationship and never had any issues with the developer/creator being arrogant. It's well written and constantly being updated and improved.

20. Trickster

Trickster Level 14

Jul 28, 2016
    Loving / caring Husband :)
    Europe
    Windows 10
    BullGuard
    after a while of abscence on my system , I reinstalled it yesterday......(@_CyberGhosT_ settings ) and I must say the product has come a long way and it feels lighter and faster on my system , since the last time i've tested it. I can recommend it to everyone......certainly a must have in each security config!